Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

dual battery set-up prep

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dual battery set-up prep

OK well here is today's weekend mod preparing for the new winch.

First thing was to remove the stock air box and add the new cold air intake system on the left side behind the headlight , with that done it took a few more readjustments ( had to move the radiator overflow bottle mount and turn it 45 degree's ) and then it was time to install the new RED TOP ULTIMA battery.

First try found that the air filter was in the way of the battery setting right for the it to allow the hood to close all the way( little bow in the hood where the air filter Sit's) no luck.

After about 1/2 hour of resetting the air filter and battery I finally got the right setting.

I then went to looking for a way to hold the battery down when I seen the hole in the inner-fender from the factory and had a grand idea , Use the factory hole and get a piece of metal to run front to back of battery sort of like the the factory set up and see if I can make some thing happen there.

After looking it over I decided that if I drilled an other hole hole 7 1/8 inch's forward and opened up factory drilled hole I could make a factory style battery hold down with a couple 8" long bolts and butterfly nuts. Well it seemed to be doable so I ran to the local hardware store and spent $3.68 for two 8" long by 3/8's bolts and two butterfly nuts.

After returning home I drilled the factory hole to fit the new 3/8's bolt with a uni-bit and it worked fine so I then measured the width of the battery and added a couple 8th's of an inch drilled the next hole forward of the opposite side of the battery to fit the other 3/8's bolt.

I then went and wondered around the now defunct gas station down the road and found a 1 1/2w x 1/4t x 9" long piece of steel laying around and thought to myself this is perfect. I took it home and with the uni-bit drilled out a couple holes to match the 3/8's bolts and it fit like a glove so I ran the 3/8's bolts up from the bottom of the inner-fender to the hold down strap I just made from the metal laying around the defunct gas station. It fit perfect a side from being a bit uncentered but still worked fine.

Here are a couple pictures I took along the way so I could share with the pic junkie's here. These may also help someone else do the same style set up for a dual battery in a second gen runner. The next thing is waiting for the 12 volt guy dual battery switch control set up and winch to arrive then I can wire the second battery up and use it to run my 8 6" hella lights , back up lights , stereo system , air compressor and cb and use the other battery to run just the regular functions of my 1990 4runner.

OK so here's the pictures

If you see anything that can make it better please let me know so I can make the changes before the winch and battery control panel arrive.

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-29-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have blue tubes running to the cold air, what are they? Can we have a picture showing the cold air side of the engine? Thanks a million.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

The blue tubes are just the air lines from the stock set up with blue wire loom over them
Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
ummmm...can you lie a battery on it's SIDE like that for extended periods???!!?? Never seen that done before....
Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
ummmm...can you lie a battery on it's SIDE like that for extended periods???!!?? Never seen that done before....
Its an Optima you can mount them in any way that you want/need to. They can upside down if you wanted

EDIT: Awesome job, that looks really good, i like that idea. What filter is that? Are the intake tubes that run to the intake manifold stock? Im curious for more pics of the entire engine bay.

Last edited by 881stGenRunner; 10-01-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
Its an Optima you can mount them in any way that you want/need to. They can upside down if you wanted

EDIT: Awesome job, that looks really good, i like that idea. What filter is that? Are the intake tubes that run to the intake manifold stock? Im curious for more pics of the entire engine bay.
X2. And clearer pictures please (not a demand, just a request). Thx.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is your red top going to be your aux battery, or are you going to re-wire it so that it's your vehicle's normal battery and get a deep cycle for your aux? Reason I ask is a dual battery set up typically has a deep cycle battery for all your auxiliary stuff (especially for a winch) so that you can drain it down without hurting it (your system should also have a battery isolator so you can drain your aux battery without affecting your starting battery. I assume the battery switch control system you bought will do this?) A better option than a red top would have been a yellow top or even a blue top, which both have deep cycling abilities (I have the blue top as my aux.)

Other than that, you did a good job fitting it in the 2nd gen engine compartment.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you move the other stuff that was under the filter box? cause i am getting a snorkel so i could probably move things enough for me to do similar.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

OK first yes I will get you some better pictures once I figure out this new cam and will try to include the whole engine bay. AS for the air filter it came with the cold air kit but I have seen them at AUTOZONE for like 10-12 bucks I treat it like a k&n for washing proposes and it was hell of a lot cheaper for the kit on e-bay it was only 50 bucks same price as k&n filter alone. The air lines are the stock ones from the air box and silancer box I did have to do a bit of a custom fit for them on to0 the air filter but it works and was not hard to do at all. I drilled a couple holes in the base of the air filter metal and fit the ends of the hoses on there then JB WELDED them in place and used the stock hose and clamp on them. I can pull the clamp off and pull the filter without any problems so washing it will be no big deal. Also got to get back to the dollar store and get some more of them one dollar panty hose to put over the filter so it stays cleaner a little longer and less need to buy one of them high dollar filter socks from K&N.

Next as for the red top Yes I am going to run a new power cable over to it and use it only for the start up and basic functions of the truck and in place of the original battery I will be placeing a DEEP CELL for the 8 augzilery lights , stereo , new winch and back up lights.

AS for the rest of the stuff under the airt box there was nothing but body metal but I was looking at the same idea you are dealing with and figured if I cut the air tube to throttle body down about 6-8inchs and moved it in closer to the valve covers in that empty space I belive I or you could do the snorkle and still place the battery in the same place.