Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

drop tank or lift bed to replace/repair brake line

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop tank or lift bed to replace/repair brake line

Hi all. I've got a break in my metal brake line somewhere right around the fuel tank and frame rail (passenger side) on my 1993 pickup. I haven't gotten a good look at the actual break yet, because the tank and the bed are in the way. I'm going to try to gain access to it tonight. I don't know exactly where the line runs back there. Is it over the tank? Over the frame rail? Down between the two? Would dropping the tank or lifting off the bed give me the best access to it?

Once I get in there and see how it failed I'll have to decide the best way to fix it. If most of the line is in good shape, I might try to repair it by splicing in a section of new line. That line goes all the way from the master cylinder to the rear axle, so I'm guessing it'd be horrible to try to replace. If anybody's got any experience with replacing or repairing that line, feel free to share tips!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Having never done this before, I'd think thAt removing the bed might actually be easier. I've dropped a gas tank or two and always thought it was a pain. How many bolts hold the bed to the frame? 4? Then maybe a wire connection or two for the lights? That way you wouldn't have to deal with fuel spillage. You might even have an easier time seeing it all and won't have to roll around on the ground.

That's just my two cents. Like I said, I've never removed a bed from a truck before so I can't speak from experience. Just sharing my thoughs.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I helped a friend pull the bed on a full sized Chevy so we could get to the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump. It didn't take any time at all to do. I'd recommend pulling the bed as it's always easier to work on something if you don't have to lay on your back to do so.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Thank for the input guys. You're probably right that pulling the bed is an easier task, but right now I don't even know if that'll get me access to the brake line. If it's pinched between the frame rail and the fuel tank, I'm going to end up needing to pull the tank anyway. Hopefully somebody has serviced the brake line before and can speak up on where it's run.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM

bump

I'm probably going to finally have time to tear into this tonight. Anybody out there that can tell me whether removing tank or bed will give better access to the brake line? Or say from personal experience which is easier on and old, kind of rusty truck?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
just run a new long the side of the tank. that way you dont have to remove anything. just cut the old ones and leave them there.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Remove the bed. Trust me Ive done it. 8 bolts, 2 strong guys and your there. The small bolts holding the tank on are easy to break.. opening up a whole other can of worms. It also gives u a chance to inspect the other lines (break and fuel) alot easier.

In doing this however, you are going to have to kinda feed the new lines thru the space between the tank and the cab. Its a bitch.. but doable.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd pull the bed. It's easy. Just got done replacing my fuel tank, pump hanger, and main fuel line a few months ago. Also repainted the whole rear frame, and took care of a small rust hole.

Dropping the tank is pretty easy too, but removing the bed is the way to go, in my opinion. 8 bolts, pull the tail light wires down, remove the filler neck bolts. If you're lucky, all the captured bolts will back out. If you're unlucky like me, you'll have to drill holes in your bed to capture the rusted out captured bolts in order to spin the nuts off.

My bed is shot anyway, so I didn't care. I'll be building one out of DOM and eventually hang bed sides and a 'gate off the back.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One man bed removal:

Took me no time at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ That's how I did it the first time, but with an electric winch attached to a steel I-beam in the garage. (Also how I pulled my Supra motor numerous times)

Unfortunately, my Supra is on jackstands and immobile at this point in time, so the two man method worked fine.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
haha, "Pulled my supra motor numerous times". I'm all too familiar with that unfortunately.

There's a 7M block sitting on the floor in the back if you look closely