86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driving Without cv axle/front diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Without cv axle/front diff

Hello fellow Yotatechers, I was pulling my cv axles out yesterday so I sould put the new ones in after I pick them up today. After removing the axles I found they weren't the only problem. The part that the cv mates to on the diff (I think the FSM calls it the side gear shaft or something like that) is wobbly so I'm gonna have to pull the diff and tear it apart.

Anyways, is it ok to drive without the cv axles on? It's parked on all fours right now and it's fine, but I don't know what might happen if I drive it down the road. A Google search lead to very different opinions, some say they've done it without problems, some say your wheels will fall off. Wheels falling off sounds a little extreme to me, but I don't know. It seems to me all the cv's do is put power to the wheels when it's in 4WD and maybe provide support to the inner races of the wheel bearings.

So has anyone done this? Would it work as is or does it at least need the axle through the wheel bearings and hub?

I don't NEED to drive it I'm just curious if I COULD. And don't tell me to just SAS it 'cause I'm already considering it.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That's not a problem, but I wouldn't go mudding with it like that~

;-)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by B-Fake
Anyways, is it ok to drive without the cv axles on? It's parked on all fours right now and it's fine, but I don't know what might happen if I drive it down the road. A Google search lead to very different opinions, some say they've done it without problems, some say your wheels will fall off. Wheels falling off sounds a little extreme to me, but I don't know. It seems to me all the cv's do is put power to the wheels when it's in 4WD and maybe provide support to the inner races of the wheel bearings.

So has anyone done this? Would it work as is or does it at least need the axle through the wheel bearings and hub?

I don't NEED to drive it I'm just curious if I COULD. And don't tell me to just SAS it 'cause I'm already considering it.
If we're specifically talking about the axle shaft that passes through the hub carrier/bearings...

Maybe? I'm going with... it does.

Done it? Nope. When I last worked on an MR2, the BGB (iirc) specifically calls out that while doing a clutch, and the drive shafts are removed, do not move the car around, as bearing race damage will occur. Since I was doing so much work with cars with no driveshafts, I tore apart a set of bad shafts and cut off the hub inserts, so I could install them in the hub carrier during moves. Probably still have them lying around the rolling tool box.

Could you? Don't see why not, just expect to have bearing damage. Should you? Not unless you enjoy pressing out/in bearing races. Would I? Not unless there was grave-danger involved.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM

I'd say you could probably do it. Just try and find something to block the back of the steering knuckle to try and keep as much crap out of the wheel bearings as you can...
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the input guys, as I've thought about it I've been leaning towards there probably being some sort of bearing damage without the shaft in there. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take the cv's apart and just put that end in. The only reason I even considered driving it that way is I don't know how long it will take to get parts, or even what parts I need 'till I open up the diff, and the weather has been really nice and I just hate to see it with the top off just parked there.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bearing damage will occur. There is no outer axle to keep the races together and straight. All the weight of the vehicle is on the outer bearing in the wrong place on the bearing... The weight is not shared as it should be...

But it's your truck... I know you said you weren't gonna do it...
Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Bearing damage will occur. There is no outer axle to keep the races together and straight. All the weight of the vehicle is on the outer bearing in the wrong place on the bearing... The weight is not shared as it should be...

But it's your truck... I know you said you weren't gonna do it...
The wheel bearings ride on a spindle, the CV doesn't contact the wheel bearings. I'd plug something in the back of the hub to keep dirt out but otherwise it's not going to harm the truck.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
It won't make the wheels fall off or cause stress in areas that aren't normall stressed. But not having the CV in there leaves a gaping hole in the back of the knuckle and will allow dirt, dust, and other crap to get into the wheel bearings. I'd advise against it.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM

This thread came up just in time! Lol!

I'll be pulling my front diff along with the cv axles to fit my engine. I'm doing a motor swap that requires either clearancing the oil pan or finding a front sump pan. I lack the skills to mod the pan and I currently can't any front sumps.

There should be no problem with this idea as long as there's a plug in the back preventing debri from getting in.