Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driving a few miles with no rear shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving a few miles with no rear shocks!

Did the u-bolt flip on the rear of my old girl, but need to drive a couple of miles with the shocks not attached to get the shock mounts welded on the rear. That's no big deal right, city street driving - under 40mph?

I know it's not ideal and not the safest thing to do, but I don't have a welder unfortunately. Should probably have had the mounts welded on first, but I went with the Budbuild bolt on mounts which didn't work so well with my gas tank skid and shocks. So now have a set of Wabfab weld on mounts.

Anyone else drive without rear shocks?

Last edited by RiNkY; 11-14-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
shouldn't be a problem at all, if the bed of the truck is unloaded.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
You'll be ok, just take it easy! I had to go a week without shocks once!! It's really springy!!! lol!!

What was the problem with the Budbuilt kit?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM

I have what looks like an OEM skid mounted to the gas tank, which sticks out a little to far for the Budbuilt setup to work. Would rub on the shock on that side, plus my Skyjacker shocks were a little fat and rubbed on the corner of the lower mount. Bud has been super nice about it and I don't want to make it sound like there is a problem with is products, just doesn't work with my particular setup right now.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
any way that you can trim the gas tank skidplate??
Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 AM

Tonnes of older vehicles have blown shocks (effectively the same as no shocks) and they handle alright. Its pretty uncomfortable over rough roads, but not terrible.

You're fine driving with no shocks.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 AM

Mine is one of those older vehicles...I always see other 4Runners taking turns faster than me but I know I'd flip if I tried lol
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no problem i have driven a f150 for 3 hours with no shocks on any corner of the truck.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM

Cool - I figured it wouldn't be a huge deal, just not done it before myself. Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's be clear here - it's a TOTALLY different situation between a truck and a 4Runner. Leaf springs have some internal friction that will help dampen the vibrations and make the truck driveable. Coil springs do not have that, and can be quite dangerous at speeds of 40 MPH.

I drove my truck with no rear shocks after doing the rear suspension, and NO WAY would I drive over 15 MPH. When I bought it, the shocks were not totally worn out, but the loss of control crossing railroad tracks had me chanig them immediately!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove about 60 miles home from wheling in my old truck when i broke a shock mount and the other shock was non functional to start with. construction zones were definitely interesting
Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Tonnes of older vehicles have blown shocks (effectively the same as no shocks) and they handle alright. Its pretty uncomfortable over rough roads, but not terrible.

You're fine driving with no shocks.
get's me thinking about my truck and the original Toyota shock on it with close to 300k miles on em
Old 11-15-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Let's be clear here - it's a TOTALLY different situation between a truck and a 4Runner. Leaf springs have some internal friction that will help dampen the vibrations and make the truck driveable. Coil springs do not have that, and can be quite dangerous at speeds of 40 miles per hour.

I drove my truck with no rear shocks after doing the rear suspension, and NO WAY would I drive over 15 MPH. When I bought it, the shocks were not totally worn out, but the loss of control crossing railroad tracks had me chanig them immediately!
My experience wasn't quite the same.

One of the bolts securing the shock to the rear axle backed out without me noticing and fell out on the highway. I heard the shock bouncing off the tire and stopped. Not having tools, i taped the shock out of the way and went on my merry way. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell the difference with one shock out of the picture. I drove it with three shocks for a day or two before I got to the wrecker for another bolt. These were Old Man Emu coils.

When I bought my truck, the front passenger side shock was toast (NO resistance), and I drove it for a couple thousand kilometers. It wasn't dangerous on the road (I drive pretty sensibly), but on back roads, it was pretty bad the body of the truck would almost whip from side to side.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RiNkY
I have what looks like an OEM skid mounted to the gas tank, which sticks out a little to far for the Budbuilt setup to work. Would rub on the shock on that side, plus my Skyjacker shocks were a little fat and rubbed on the corner of the lower mount. Bud has been super nice about it and I don't want to make it sound like there is a problem with is products, just doesn't work with my particular setup right now.

Only reason I asked, was because I was thinking about getting that setup for my Ranchos and I was just curious. Trust me, Bud's stuff is awesome!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been driving for 5 months with blown rear shocks because I'm redoing the suspension.

It actually rides better (I've got bilsteins.)

Originally Posted by tc
Let's be clear here - it's a TOTALLY different situation between a truck and a 4Runner. Leaf springs have some internal friction that will help dampen the vibrations and make the truck driveable. Coil springs do not have that, and can be quite dangerous at speeds of 40 miles per hour.

Hard to say, IMO, since I'd say you are comparing apples and oranges somewhat. You now have a suspension that is worth a damn. Given that your old suspesion wouldn't even fall off, I'd imagine, had you done the same thing with the old stuff, the friction of the half frozen bushings would have dampened your springs significantly.

Your new suspension actually works.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Only reason I asked, was because I was thinking about getting that setup for my Ranchos and I was just curious. Trust me, Bud's stuff is awesome!
Sell you the one I took off if you like - Complete with ALL of the Muffler clamps. $100 shipped UPS Ground. PM me if you are interested, otherwise I'm just gonna send back to Bud.

Lower and Upper mounts from Bud will set you back $90 + shipping. Then the lower mounts need 4 x 3" Muffler Clamps and the upper mount needs 4 x 1-7/8" clamps. Clamps were about $3 each.

The lower mounts on the pics on Buds site only show 1 lower muffler clamp per side, but you need 2. He must have changed the design since taking those pics to make it a more snug fit with 2 clamps per side.

Last edited by RiNkY; 11-16-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RiNkY
Sell you the one I took off if you like - Complete with ALL of the Muffler clamps. $100 shipped UPS Ground. PM me if you are interested, otherwise I'm just gonna send back to Bud.

Lower and Upper mounts from Bud will set you back $90 + shipping. Then the lower mounts need 4 x 3" Muffler Clamps and the upper mount needs 4 x 1-7/8" clamps. Clamps were about $3 each.

The lower mounts on the pics on Buds site only show 1 lower muffler clamp per side, but you need 2. He must have changed the design since taking those pics to make it a more snug fit with 2 clamps per side.
PM sent
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 AM

heck ya iv drivin my buddies 4runner to the parts store with no shocks right after the SAS.. ill be honest it was kinda a interesting ride..didnt think a truck could get Death Wobble, but on one road out here it is totaly possible lol also didnt help that it had a welded rear end and had a total of like 8in of lift lol just be safe and dont haul a$$ on rough roads and through corners
Old 11-16-2008, 01:37 PM

I drove my Jeep without rear shocks for a few weeks. You really have to take a easy on the turns with no rear shocks. trust me.