Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driveshaft broke off while driving..what to do next??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft broke off while driving..what to do next??

hey guys..
had a bad couple days..while driving to my ex's house to get some of my stuff i broke down and then looked under my truck and saw the driveshaft hanging down there..smoking..took a closer look..it broke of at the yoke on the tranny side..i know in my last post you guys mention about checking the driveshaft i did and looked fine..but i felt a lot of vibrations and boom it broke of

so question..is it only the bolts on the read diff and the back of tranny that needs to be removed for the driveshaft to come off
also do i need to get a new driveshaft u joints the works..or can i just replace the u joints and get the yoke fixed..called a guy here in phoenix and said it will cost 240 to fix the yoke..another one said 150...is it something i can do myself
also how do i remove the u joint..is it just snap rings?

thanks in advance guys..i have no means of transport now..need it to be fixed soon
Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remove the four bolts of the flange on the rear diff and the four on the tranny output.
Put it in 4wd and away you go in FWD.
It really depends on what broke determines on what you need to fix.
Take it to a driveline shop. They can punch out the remain u-joint and install a new one for pretty cheap.
If you cratered the whole axle (yoke and all), you'll need a complete replacement.
Check your local wrecker, they might have a couple with a driveshafts still intact. My local PnP destroys the driveshafts with their fork-truck, so be careful and look for one without any big dents.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To remove the front and rear yokes, it is only 4 bolts on the front, 4 bolts on the rear. In your case, the front part is separate from the rest of the driveshaft, making it pretty easy to unbolt.

In theory, if nothing is damaged, dented, bent, dinged, or otherwise beat up, you could remove the U-joints (or what is left of a U-joint in the front), replace them with new, and put the thing back on the road. Yes, it is just a matter of C-clips and pressing/hammering out the old one, putting in the new one.

But, most likely your driveshaft is dented and or bent from the damage of flailing around, hitting the pavement and the bottom of the truck. The right way to do it is to take the driveshaft parts to a shop and have them build you a new one with what they can salvage from the old one. They will check the tube for damage and replace it as necessary. They will also assemble and properly balance the driveshaft assembly.

This is not something you can do yourself, unless by some miracle, nothing is damaged on the driveshaft.

Oh, and you could also go to a boneyard and try to buy a used one that fits your year rig, if getting back on the road very important, but money is tight. Check the U-joints out and grease them up really well before putting a used one in.

Last edited by OutlawMike; 06-22-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
tried calling up a junk yard yet?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh snap didnt think about the 2wheel drive..
I was doing about 75 and it broke off at the Yoke... I think there is some damage..
but thanks for the advice..ill be pulling it tonight..so i can have my ride for tomorrow..
Ill check the junk yards..