Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driveshaft Broke Off (pics to clarify)

Old 12-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft Broke Off (pics to clarify)

Alright, so I was driving today and my I downshifted as I was coming to a stop and BOOM... my drive shaft broke off and was dragging. This was no surprise, though. Ever since I've had the truck there was all this noise, like a slapping noise, coming from the rear, whenever I'd put it into a gear it would like jump.

I'm not sure of the exact names, and I can get some better pics up tomorrow when there is light. But as you see, the two broke apart.

How hard will it be to fix this and what exactly do I need? A whole new drive shaft?

Thanks! (sorry for my noobie-ness)
Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 PM

you can get a new u joint and that flange thing lol call your local drive shaft shop

Last edited by the_ocho; 12-24-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 PM

I broke one here a few years back. If you cant find the yolk flange out there pm me and I can get you one from a guy I bought mine from pretty cheap.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Or PM DeathCougar, he's a member on this board, and works at Nix99, a Toyota/Lexus wrecking yard.....
Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
wow, that sux man...

I thrown more u-joints in the past than I can count ( not on my Toy yet, knock on wood ), but I usually just sheared to u-joint into oblivion; never broken a flang like that yet...

good luck buddy!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 PM

I bounced pretty hard on a steep rocky hill and I caused mine to crack. Welded it on the trail to get it home. I have seen it twice, well, now thrice.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh I've seen it happen plenty of times; both when bouncing massive boggers into the air and landing hard at full throttle, or trying to turn a set of slicks with a 600+ hp blown 454 in a quarter mile, just never snapped one like that myself...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a new ujoint and flange. done.

ujoint, meh 20 bucks, probably find the other part at the junkyard for cheap
Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Alrigt, cool, flange and u joints!

Thanks, any one know where I can get those at?

On marlin crawler, the tripple drilled differential flange, is that it?

By the way, anyone have an idea why this happened? I know I need to re-gear, could this be why?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotas&Jellos

By the way, anyone have an idea why this happened? I know I need to re-gear, could this be why?
In your original post you mentioned that there had always been a slapping noise and it would jump when you put it in gear. I'm willing to bet that the U joint has had problems for a while and it just finally bought the farm. If the noises are there again when you replace the flange and U joint then post back up so we can help figure out what it might be, if the noise doesn't return then it was the U joint the entire time. I'd also recommend doing a complete grease job on the rig when you replace that joint since in the pictures it looks like the old one was pretty dry.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:47 PM

I had the same thing happen but it happened on both ends. You can get flanges from the yota yard. You'll need new u-joints as well.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Junkers, yeah I think the PO was a fool and didn't bother greasing it. How many grease zerts (sp) are on the truck? Thanks for the tip too.

Also, does the flange on the end of the drive shaft come off? It's pretty smashed up. When I looked last night I couldn't tell, and I won't be with the vehicle till the weekend to check.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Flange comes off, Should come off of the pinion flange via 4 bolts...

Theres 2 on the slip yoke on the drive shaft...and if the U joints were original there arent any on there, But when you change them, get the greaseable ones for sure...then theres some on the front shaft...wait...your 2wd?
ummm..ball joints...

Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Yea, 2wd!!

Alright, great, thanks for the tips!

Still, anywhere I can order flanges?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Alright, I was checking it out this morning, and the flange/yoke at the end of the shaft is pretty beat up. I don't think this piece comes off (i don't see any bolts). I don't mind replacing the whole shaft, but if I don't have to I would rather not. It's just the second half of the shaft.

http://www.trail-gear.com/driveshaft.html

If you scroll down you see a picture. It looks like it's just the second half, but I'm not sure if that's all you're getting. I also know that is more heavy duty. I'm searching around but if anyone has any tips go ahead.

Thanks again
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lawd, That thing hasnt seen grease in years. That has proly been your noise all along. Do you have any better pics. The u-joints press out, you will need to remove the whole driveshaft to work on it.
The end looks all bent up to me in that picture tho.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dbcx
Lawd, That thing hasnt seen grease in years. That has proly been your noise all along. Do you have any better pics. The u-joints press out, you will need to remove the whole driveshaft to work on it.
The end looks all bent up to me in that picture tho.
Yeah I'm in agreement here. My advice would be to run to a junk yard and grab one off another yota. You might be able to just slide the back end off of the slip yoke and buy it (I'm guessing that the rear shafts on all trucks have a little slip in them?). I would measure the drive shaft first just in case the junk yard just piles them up away from the vehicles. Also be sure and roll the ds on something flat like a concrete pad before you buy it to be sure it isn't bent.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM

I went to the two local junk yards today and I didn't see any 3rd gen pickups or 4Runners. Saw a couple second gen pickups but driveshafts were taken already. Not even sure if the older ones are interchangable.

I can't find a place online to buy the yokes. I've seen the whole drive shaft kits, like the ones on trail gear but they don't recommend those for street use. Those have 12" spline, and Downey has a 7" spline drive shaft. How would that work for regular use?

I also PM'ed DeathCougar and the wrote in Dirtoyboy's thread for the yokes. They haven't responded yet, I'm guessing because of the Holidays.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Yotas&Jellos; 12-26-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM

PM DeathCouger. He works at Nix99, a Toyota/Lexus wrecking yard. He might have something. And YT members get a discount.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM

mini Trucks on newton. downtown san diego by the coronado bridge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driveshaft Broke Off (pics to clarify)