Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driveline "whirr" - PLEASE HELP

Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline "whirr" - PLEASE HELP

Hey,
So I just finished an engine swap in my 86 4runner (still a 22re), its running fine in the garage, everything seems good so I jump in to go for a spin.
I drive out of the alley onto the street and remember I still had the front hubs locked so I pull over and unlock them and take off again (in 2wd the whole time). I get a few blocks away and as I'm getting up around 35-40km/h I start getting this whirring sound from somewhere in the driveline and I can really feel it in my feet. It's hard to explain but it sounds almost like a vibration with a touch of a grinding also. I haven't driven the truck for about 4 months prior to this due to engine problems but I do recall this same sound (or atleast something VERY similar) when I was wheeling and put it into 2wd but left the hubs locked, just to drive a short distance down a dirt road or something. I tried rocking back and forth a couple times thinking maybe the hubs hadn't released properly or something but that didn't help and I also checked that the front driveshaft was free and it was. I'm not going to say that its not the rear end but it sure doesn't seem like it, it really sounds like its from the transmition or t-case. Also it varies directly with the speed of the vehicle, not the engine rpm. Clutch in or out makes no difference and neither does what gear its in. I also changed from 2hi to 4hi and that didn't change anything either.
I haven't checked the tranny or t-case fluid levels yet, that will be first thing in the morning, but it doesn't seem like that would be the problem.

I'M STUMPED!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Anyone???
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you disconnect the rear driveshaft when did the work? if so, are the u-joints timed properly?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the fluids in the tranny, t-case and front/rear diffs. I had a strange noise for months until I checked the T-case prior to wheeling. It was low 1 1/4 quarts. Add fluid, noise gone.

If I had to lay money on it I'd say it's the rear diff.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM

I would say it's probably a u-joint. Does the it vibrate more after about 55-60. I had that happen on my truck. not to big of a fix it but you want to fix it before it breaks or else you may need a new shaft. you can check it by reaching under it and trying to shake the drive shaft. If it moves you know you've got a bad u-joint.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM

No I did not remove anything other than the engine during the swap. Tranny fluid level is ok but I can't get the fill plug out of the t-case. The Haynes manual suggests that it might be a bad u-joint. There is no play in the rear shaft but is it possible that it's a seized bearing? Also the passenger side e-brake is seized so even though it didn't sound like it was coming from the rear end I suppose maybe it's dragging or theres a rock stuck in there. But that doesn't make sence since I was feeling it in my feet.
Well I'm going to take it for another spin and see if I can narrow it down at all, and get some lunch!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Ya know I got something like this going on myself. Haven't worked on the yota in about a week or finished diagnosing my problem, but maybe my thread might give you an idea or two.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM

So I'm pretty sure I've got it figured.
I pulled the rear driveshaft to check the ujoints and they seemed quite good, so I put the truck in 2hi and ran it through the gears to see if I could hear anything from the tranny or t-case. Nothing! So I put it in 4hi to go for a spin and check if it's the rear diff, I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE AND IT'S MAKING THE NOISE!! Sure enough the front driveshaft is turning away and so is the drivers side axle but the truck won't go.
Correct me if I'm overlooking anything but it seems that my drivers side hub is pooched. That is just a simple bolt on part is it not?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you have manual or automatic hubs up front? Pull the one off and see what is going on inside. It may need some cleaning and light lubrication:
http://www.off-road.com/offroad/arti....jsp?id=399668
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM

manual hubs.
Are the solid axle and IFS hubs the same?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by country_wheeler
manual hubs.
Are the solid axle and IFS hubs the same?
Similar but not identical. Main difference is 27 splines on the IFS and 30 splines on the solid axle hubs. They rarely fail completely, usually just get gummed up inside or installed incorrectly to where they will not lock or unlock.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

alright so apparently my lack of front hub engagement isn't the cause of my problem. After I got the hub off everything looked ok other than being really dirty, but my axle shaft is really wobbly. I took it for a spin with the hub off and it STILL makes the noise. Now I'm thinking that it's the wheel bearing that needs attention.
Any thoughts on the situation??
I'll try searching for some info but if anyone could shed some light on how to go about this it would be great. I'm assuming I'll need to replace the bearing rather than just tighten it up? (if that is infact the problem) Also, are there any special tools I'll need? Does it need to be pressed in hydrolically or anything like that?

Thanks

Last edited by country_wheeler; 08-20-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Only need the infamous 54mm socket and a fish scale to measure bearing drag:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Rebuild
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Hey thanks alot 4Crawler!
Those links helped a ton. Unfortunately my problem is still not solved. It did seem better though and I was short on time so I couldn't check the other wheel bearing but I suspect it also will need to be redone and then hopefully I will be good to go.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grease it?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM

O ya she's good to go now!
I installed a new wheel bearing on the other side and rebuilt that hub as well and it runs as good as it ever did since I've had her. Sorry I've been working in a camp up in northern alberta and forgot to let everyone know I'd wrapped things up already.

Now I just need to bribe a mechanic to sign off on an insurance/safety inspection! lol