86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drinking brake fluid- peeing it On inside of rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Drinking brake fluid- peeing it On inside of rear tire

---so many people with yota problems wow haha------ my yota is chugging almost a full filling(the reservoir) per day now ( 2 days) and i just 15 mins ago noticed my rear driver side tire is shiny on the inside and i crawled under and its brake fluid all over that sum biotch.... tried searching i found people who had brake fluid problems but none like mine SOO -- what do i do? its coming from inside the drum not outside if that helps and my pedal is cushy and i feel like i could lose my brakes at any steep hill & my emerg cable is snapped so i'd be screwed
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Wheel cylinder
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM

that was fast -- expensive inexpensive, pita or easy (i hav tools & a clue)
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Ok I am not 100% sure on the toyotas but I had a jeep XJ do the same thing and this is how easy it was.

Remove Wheel
Remove Drum Cover
Romove E-brake Cable
Pull Shoes Back
Remove Brake Line
2 Bolts on back side beside the brake line
Slide it out the front
Install new one like you pulled the old one
Total time 30 minutes if your slow per side. Its good to go ahead and replace both so you know how much wear they have.

Wheel cylinder was $6 for jeep...Check www.autozone.com OR www.partsamerica.com (Advanced)

Hope this help

If I am wrong someone will chime in. Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Well, you actally need to take the rear wheel and drum off before you can diagnose whats wrong. It probably is a wheel cylinder but don't you want to see for your self? I don't like being a smart ars but I think the condition your describing would be very simple to diagnose. If you take it apart and then can't figure it out then takes some pics and make your post so people can then help.

Last edited by bwhyit; 03-26-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM

dont feel like messing with my POS right now i actually first wanted to know what it "probably" is so that i have some idea of what might b wrong - what else could it be if brake fluid is pouring out from the inside of the drum onto my tire.. if it could be somthing else feel free to shout out possibilities
--- i love this website i was gonna check back tomorro but then got to messing with my cp and checked back and i was liek saweet --- input much appreciated
Old 03-26-2008, 02:55 PM

if it coming from inside your drum then the only thing it could be is the wheel brake cylinder !!!

I did mine a dew years ago now. I cant remember how much it was but it was sheep and a quick fix !
Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM

If it for surely coming from inside the drum it is the wheel cylinder. Take your wheel off and drum and you will see this.

Pull back the rubber boot on each side of the cylinder a little, if there is brake fluid behind the boot then theres your problem. There is a good chance your brakes will be shot. Your best bet is too take it all completely apart and wash it all off, the wheel cylinder has two bolts and a brake line attaching it. New brake cylinders are fairly cheap. haha what did you think was gong on when you had to refill your resevoir each day?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not wise to drive with it leaking. just my .02 but u wouldn't want to kill someone cause u didn't have time to fix it. i had one go out on my blazer lost all brakes and almost took out a gas pump at 45 mph. and a sc430.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM

I've driven with leaky wheel cylinders thousands of miles; you will eventually fix it when you get tired of adding fluid to keep from running dry & losing your brakes thus needing to bleed your brakes after it sucks in air, which I hate to do. Bleeding brakes & changing transmission fluid are my two least favorite chores.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM

yup wheel cylinder seals sounds like it to me. just did one on a f150. easy stuff just dont forget to get a couple of cans of brake clean. and a bunch of rags. also you say it is really bad you will prob need need new shoes (due to the brake fluid has prob absorbed into that set of shoes badly by now.
to get:
-wheel cyl for that side
-brake shoes
-brake clean

dont forget to bleed the brake sys after the install. also w/ the new shoes you will have to adjust the spacer at the bottom so the drum fits back on. just do it step by step in the haynes or on the online FSM (http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/)
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM

you cant clean brake fluid out of the shoes, they absorb it, no matter how much brake clean you use. It is highly recomended that you replace both wheel cylinders and a set of shoes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep; had to do my wheel cylinders not a week after I got my 91 PU. The passenger side went out, so I replaced the passenger and driver side cylinders (when one goes, the other is usually not too far behind), the shoes, the hardware (spring) kit, and the drums too because mine where shot. All in all, the cylinders are about $15 a pop for these Yotes (more than most others for some reason), about $18 for the shoes (after bring'n the old ones back to the parts shop for the core $), $5 er $6 for all the springs, and damn near $50 a pop for the drums for some reason. Mind you, this is the 4wd, and it may be cheaper on the 2wd if that's what you have. I hate messing with rear drums, so that's why I replaced EVERYTHING while I was in there; problem is, I'm can do it fairly well, so all my buds come to me when they need em done, lol.

On another note, if you tear'n in there, it's a really good idea to do both the left and right side, along with the shoes as other mentioned because once they suck up brake fluid they just don't work any more, and the hardware kit (all the springs in there). This will ensure you don't have to mess with them again for a very long time, as rear shoes typically don't ware as fast as front pads.

Oh yeah, and only do one side at a time. Pull both drums off, and work on one side while using the other side for reference on how to put the stuff back together.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM

I agree, wheel cylinders. Do both sides and replace the shoes. If your springs look a little weary (rusty, bent etc.) replace those too. Whenever I do something on the back brake wise I just do it all since it is all so low maintenance. Not a BAD idea to get the drums turned because it's easy while it's apart but definitely not a must do.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 AM

DONT DRIVE IT WITH NO/BAD BRAKES

You will feel pretty crappy if you kill/injure somebody because you were to cheap/dumb to get the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of your Junk fixed
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 AM

Did you fix it yet?

I got in a accident in my wifes grand am a few years back because the wheel cylinder went bad. I came to a 4way stop only I didn't.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Heres a lil info too, when you remove the old wheel cylinder and go to install the new one before you connect the line squeeze both plungers in the wheel cylinder together with your fingers then connect the line once you have the line tight release the plungers and you shouldn't even have to bleed it. This doesn't allow any air to get trapped in the wheel cylinder, this always works very good for me. And it has to be your wheel cylinder if its coming from inside your drum
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did the ones on my toy and they were $13.00 apiece. Dont forget to bleed the LSPV if you got one.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM

I have an 86 4wd pickup 22r. I just replaced the front pads a month ago, this morning
I noticed the master cylinder was empty, there were pee stains on each front tire, do
I have a wheel cylinder problem also? There was no stain where I screw in the brake
line or at the bleeder valve, just on the brake assembly and tires. Is it odd this would show up
on both tires at once and after a month?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by hike1
I have an 86 4wd pickup 22r. I just replaced the front pads a month ago, this morning
I noticed the master cylinder was empty, there were pee stains on each front tire, do
I have a wheel cylinder problem also? There was no stain where I screw in the brake
line or at the bleeder valve, just on the brake assembly and tires. Is it odd this would show up
on both tires at once and after a month?
"I am assuming you have disk brakes in the front"
No wheel cylinder on disk brakes. Could be bad calipers (piston seals) which I guess could be going bad..? Are you sure the brake line is dry where it connects to the calipers. Both my brake line backed out and started leaking,well one then the other after I fixed fixed the first one.That was after replacing calipers. Might want to rebuild the calipers or buy new ones?
Just to give you a reference on the caliper rebuild with pics.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...er_rebuild.htm

Last edited by shaun; 10-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Drinking brake fluid- peeing it On inside of rear tire