Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Double Pump Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Pump Brakes

I replaced my rear rotors a little while ago and now have them adjusted (thanks to YT!) so that you can just feel the resistance on the rear wheels when spinning with your hand. The only problem that I am still having is that to get a really solid brake feel, I need to double-pump the pedal. If I don't pump twice, I push the pedal further to stop and it feels less effective. If I hit them once then immediately jab them again I get a nice firm feeling brake pedal.

I have had my rear axle off, so I'm guessing it is air in the brake lines? What is the best way to bleed this out? If not, what else could it be?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just keep bleedin, or hook it up to a flush machine and it will have hoses that run to each one, and it will bleed them for you. not sure how much they cost, but theyre awesome, i use it when i do brake flushes at work
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I assume you mean rear drums and not rotors since you mention adjusting them?

Anyways, I had the same symptoms when my front rotor runout was out of spec. Check that out to see if your rotors are warped. Do you feel any pulsing feedback in the pedal at all when you're braking from high speed?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Any time you crack the brake lines you have to bleed them. Since you only cracked the rear ones, that's all you may need to do. Start from the rear driver's side, then rear pass., and then the load sensing valve. If that doesn't do it entirely, do the front.....pass. to driver's side. It wouldn't hurt if they've not been flushed in a while.....especially if the brake fluid is dark like coffee. If you still have problems, then look at your master cylinder or for any leaks in the lines, calipers, and/or wheel cylinders.

Last edited by thook; 10-30-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Any time you crack the brake lines you have to bleed them. Since you only cracked the rear ones, that's all you may need to do. Start from the rear driver's side, then rear pass., and then the load sensing valve. If that doesn't do it entirely, do the front.....pass. to driver's side. It wouldn't hurt if they've not been flushed in a while.....especially if the brake fluid is dark like coffee. If you still have problems, then look at your master cylinder or for any leaks in the lines, calipers, and/or wheel cylinders.

You should always do all four wheels, and start with the one that's farthest away from the master cylinder ie. the RR, then do LR, RF, LF in that order.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mehret
You should always do all four wheels, and start with the one that's farthest away from the master cylinder ie. the RR, then do LR, RF, LF in that order.
+ 1
Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM

(Edited for rudeness)...

Technically you "supposed" to bleed the whole system. I have found, though, many times all I needed to do was bleed the rear. No air had traveled through the MC to the front. And since bleeding brakes to me is about as fun as smoking a wet cigar, I will take the shortest route "necessary". So, if bleeding the rear takes care of it and you have brakes again, what's the harm. If you don't and still have sponge, then do the front. No big deal.

But, to correct something. The rear driver's side IS technically the furthest away....the longest brake line. Look at how the thing is routed and think about it.

Last edited by thook; 10-30-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mehret
Ahhh, mis-information from the forum that never post mis-information...
Sign

It's the LR, then the RR..
The drivers side is the longest.
Don't forget the LSPV..

Fred
Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 PM

Funny.....had a feeling you'd find this thread.