YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

The Doors, Oh god why?!

This evening I began disassembling he passenger side door from a 1986 4x4. WHAT A FRUSTRATING TASK!!! At first everything was simple enough, pop off the lining , un-bolt a few things. Then the first obstacle; the clip that attaches the regulator handle. Somehow I managed to get it off I am not sure how I'm going to do it for the other door. Then the next great obstacal PLASTIC CLIPS http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/banghead.gif Ya know, the ones holding the handle and lock to everything else. IMPOSSIBLE to squeeze through the holes, I ended up breaking them. Fortunately this is somewhat of a prat sic door. It is through some divine what-not that I got the main window out without breaking/cracking/scratching it.
So to you all I ask, have any of you striped down a door to its shell and lived to tell the tale?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Tyler J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

facebook.com/carl.colberg
Yes. The easiest way to remove the clip on the crank handle is with a rag. Take a towel or shop rag, slide the edge behind the crank, and pulling it tight, slide it around the shaft. Like you're trying to clean it. It'll snag that clip and pop it out. Just mind it doesn't go flying. For the round plastic locking clips, push the center in. Then it comes right out. Then push it back, so it sticks up, reinsert when ready, and push center flush. Gentle is key with the rest of the plastic bits.

FSM'S AVAILABLE HERE STILL...

combatcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Personal Sales Rating: (-1)

I've tryed that rag trick a few times and always wind up with just a torn rag, I pop those clips off with a flat head screwdriver if I don't have a proper pick. I really like thosse center pin clips they practically jump off the vehicle Oh and of course a proper panel clip tool is worth the $$ in un-broken body panel clips, sure beats having to use a screw driver.

Yeah I've been in plenty of doors, the easy parts the door panel, getting your arms hands and tools into the right spot ain't no fun. Don't think I've ever been elbow deep in one that didn't draw blood at some point.
Co_94_PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

The clip holding the window crank in is called a "horseshoe clip" I bought my clip remover for just a few dollars at a cheapy cheap tool store.

~

If theres one thing in life I'm certain of, its that google knows everything.

~

85 pickup, fancy paint job with lots of fiberglass, 7mgte, 6" lift, 35x12.5 MT MTZ for street 36x12.5 swampers for fun, 5.29, ARB locked front and rear, FROR full float rear, dual cases 2.28/4.7, no crack dash, enough gauges to make a helicopter pilot jealous, numerous other doo dads.

Build up thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f198/nothing...pickup-250752/
nothingbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbetter View Post
The clip holding the window crank in is called a "horseshoe clip" I bought my clip remover for just a few dollars at a cheapy cheap tool store.
I was always taught that the official name is a Jesus clip! mostly cause thats what people shout once it goes flying accross the room!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #6

facebook.com/carl.colberg
Jesus clip. That's funny. Reminds me of a little thing called a Jesus pin in a different mechanical device, for a different reason. Ol' Ma Deuce.

FSM'S AVAILABLE HERE STILL...

Last edited by combatcarl; 01-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
combatcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #7

i changed my door handle once and had no problem but I got small hands which made it easy for me to squeeze in there to take the clip off.
vikkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #8

The rag trick works, did it on mine as well. The key when working on the door is patience. Honestly, I think what you were trying to do was easier than what I did. I had to extract a key tip from my driver's side door (stupid Toyota key design, I've had TWO different vehicles do this) by taking out the lock and stripping down to just the tumbler. Pain.

Mods to date:
  • Magnaflow Muffler - 20% increase in MPG & noticeable gain in HP
  • 7MGE VAFM swap- Removed due to old engine not adapting to more air flow
  • Flamethrower injectors, better low end torque.
  • K&N Air Filter
Gamefreakgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

While replacement "horseshoe clips" are cheap, I have yet to find one locally.

I did find that if you take one of the arms off of a medium size binder clip and trim it a bit it makes a fine substitute for the original regulator clip.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2nd, 4runner, door, doors, gen, lock, removal, tumbler, yotatech