Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

door removal ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door removal ideas??

i have power windows so stupid wiring.

but i wanna be able to remove all 4 of my doors easy and be able to put them back on this summer

anybody have great ideas or things they did to do it.

i mean i could unplug all the wiring and pull it through but there is alot of wiring. so give me ideas??
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
could unplug it at the kick panel be pretty simple
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
could unplug it at the kick panel be pretty simple
so from the inside just unplug the plug wire and pull my speaker wire through to the inside and take the doors out with the plug still hanging??
Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
heres a thought... cut all the wires where they run between the body and the door and put spade connectors on all the pig tails... if im thinking right, all of the spade connectors SHOULD fit inside of that rubber tube that connects the body and door......
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM

it is probably best just to unplug at the factory connectors so you don't have to hack up your wiring
Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 AM

try searching, theres a bunch of posts on this
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
go to your local auto parts store and buy some plugs. You can make your own quick release harness easily....
Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Countryhick
i have power windows so stupid wiring.

but i wanna be able to remove all 4 of my doors easy and be able to put them back on this summer

anybody have great ideas or things they did to do it.

i mean i could unplug all the wiring and pull it through but there is alot of wiring. so give me ideas??
You need to find a wire harness disconnect. I have removable pins in my doors. I did not have power locks so just moved my speackers out of the doors. You should move all speakers out of the doors and just worry about your power locks.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had that problem...
(to expand on Space-Junk's idea)
I'd hit radio shack and by some male / female connector pairs that support the number of wires between the jamb and the door (could even have speakers wired through the plug) then splice the connectors in. You might have to bore the hole out in the jamb or door so you can stuff the connector in and not cause interference with the door closing. ...and use dielectric grease so they don't corrode or hit up a boat / marine shop somewhere to see if you can get waterproof connectors.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 AM

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd103.htm

Thank me later.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by isaac338
Too bad there aren't enough contacts on their "largest" set to cover what's needed on the driver's door. Would require a couple / few more contacts... or more than one set.
Looks cool though and don't get it wet.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Too bad there aren't enough contacts on their "largest" set to cover what's needed on the driver's door. Would require a couple / few more contacts... or more than one set.
Looks cool though and don't get it wet.
i could buy a bunch of splitters that are easy disconnect on the inside of the door have it a quick release and just pull it through once i use it and just have my stereo go from the ground to the door so the wire is outside the door.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Your local auto parts store should have something that will work.

I remember when my buddy was rewiring his boat. He was able to get a waterproof wiring clip do it yourself kit. Came with all the little connectors that you crimp onto each wire and then plug each wire into the clip (had little gaskets and stuff aswell).

The drivers side will be easy, but il' tell you right now, the passenger side door will be fun. The wiring is pretty short inside of the truck...
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Your local auto parts store should have something that will work.

I remember when my buddy was rewiring his boat. He was able to get a waterproof wiring clip do it yourself kit. Came with all the little connectors that you crimp onto each wire and then plug each wire into the clip (had little gaskets and stuff aswell).

The drivers side will be easy, but il' tell you right now, the passenger side door will be fun. The wiring is pretty short inside of the truck...
lol okay yea the back doors are boring too.

im going to do that probably but i need a quick disconnect setup you think napa would have something like that??
Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM

I did something similar on a friends Bronco, we just went to the parts house and got some male/female connectors for the quick connect. Then we took the fenders and doors off, welded some flat stock on the back, drilled and threaded the the flat stock, and put some jeep hinges on it. It worked out very well. I wish I had some pics of the project, but it was about 7 years ago and God only knows where that Bronco is today. You may want to look into this.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryINC.
I did something similar on a friends Bronco, we just went to the parts house and got some male/female connectors for the quick connect. Then we took the fenders and doors off, welded some flat stock on the back, drilled and threaded the the flat stock, and put some jeep hinges on it. It worked out very well. I wish I had some pics of the project, but it was about 7 years ago and God only knows where that Bronco is today. You may want to look into this.
im going by napa and schucks tomorrow to look at these connectors but im not building any doors. because its just for summer riding and if i get in trouble fudge the police.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the connector he got was quickly released.

Im not sure who would have them down in the US, we dont have any of the stores you guys have (We have Lordco, T&T auto parts and Canadian Tire )
Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Yeah, the connector he got was quickly released.

Im not sure who would have them down in the US, we dont have any of the stores you guys have (We have Lordco, T&T auto parts and Canadian Tire )
lol we have napa auto parts schucks auto parts les schwab tire center lol we got a bunch of random stuff

im going to find something. another thing i need to do is trace where my door wires go to because i havent chased that yet i have never worked on wiring like this. but i dont have enough money to get it fixed.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who the hell needs doors anyway!!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Countryhick
lol we have napa auto parts schucks auto parts les schwab tire center lol we got a bunch of random stuff

im going to find something. another thing i need to do is trace where my door wires go to because i havent chased that yet i have never worked on wiring like this. but i dont have enough money to get it fixed.
Yeah wiring is fun!

Thats the great thing about having no money, it forces you to do it yourself. You fix it and learn on the way! (with the help of YT).

I can tell you that on the drivers side door, all the wirring gets routed down behind the stupid fuse box, most of that will go to the door lock relay (its hard to miss). The passenger side goes into the main harness almost right away, so its very very tight!

Can't say anything about the rear doors though

Quick Reply: door removal ideas??