Red face Does Cold Air Intake Give Better Milege

Hey

do you get better milege with cold air intake

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG gain is negligible but you might see 1mpg if your lucky.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 AM

I got 2 w/ my airaid, then got 1 more with my spacer. I have a Jardine cat back also, She breathes well, every little bit helps.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by simpsons721
Hey

Thanks
Matt
Nope.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's possible, but doubtful, though breathing hot air on a hot day will rob you of power. I can feel the difference in mine. I did a design of a cold air system last time the motor was out, but didn't get around to making it yet.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
This is a very over-discussed topic on here. Personally, I didn't get a thing, only because now I just lay on the the throttle more because it sounds so cool. If I were to lay off the throttle more though, I may benefit from it.

I pieced together my own kit for about $60 instead of paying the outrageous price they usually are. And really with the way the tube runs, it's not a very "cold air" intake. The air heated from the radiator blows right onto it and heats the tube up bad. Now if you did the battery-intake swap, you might benefit a good bit.

Of coarse, this is on the 22re. I see by your sig you have the 3.0 in the Runner, I'd say just do the ISR mod and get a K&N.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-03-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 AM

Who did you get the tubing and connectors from?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

eBay a while ago. Wish I could fine them again for my buddy's truck though. Paid about $20 for the tube, about $5 for the elbow, got the connector at AutoZone for the AFM for a few bucks (I was surprised it matched fairly well with the elbow), got an adapter of eBay for a few bucks, then got that crazy filter with the metal shroud on it from Advance Auto Parts (got 2 of them for a spare; they were discontinuing them, so instead of about $50 like it usually was, I got each for about $20).
Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Hey Guys,

An old hotrodders rule of thumb, with V8's, is; Every 10 degree F. drop in air intake temp, makes 1 more Horse power,.. so if "power is economy", then the answer to the question is, Yes.

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YodaPala
I got 2 w/ my airaid, then got 1 more with my spacer. I have a Jardine cat back also, She breathes well, every little bit helps.
How did the spacer give you mileage? There's nothing physical it can do on a direct port injection motor so this is really impossible. The exhaust is probably where you are seeing your MPG gain. What are you getting a tankful?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Super bleeder, can you mail/pm me the info on what you did for that set up? also the battery intake swap if you would. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by simpsons721
Hey

Thanks
Matt
The 3VZE already has a cold air intake. If you take the lid off of the air box you will see a port from behind the headlight into the air box.

The intake is very restrictive though. I will be looking into doing the ISR mod myself for this reason. Look in the tech write-ups for ISR mod.

Jason
Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
This is a very over-discussed topic on here. Personally, I didn't get a thing, only because now I just lay on the the throttle more because it sounds so cool. If I were to lay off the throttle more though, I may benefit from it.

I pieced together my own kit for about $60 instead of paying the outrageous price they usually are. And really with the way the tube runs, it's not a very "cold air" intake. The air heated from the radiator blows right onto it and heats the tube up bad. Now if you did the battery-intake swap, you might benefit a good bit.

Of coarse, this is on the 22re. I see by your sig you have the 3.0 in the Runner, I'd say just do the ISR mod and get a K&N.
Sweet! I'm thinking of doing a setup like this myself...since I have to buy a new air filter anyway and it costs like $25 for a STOCK filter

So, do you get like an intake noise when you give it a bunch of throttle? On my brothers 86 crx he gets a pretty cool intake noise...and thats what I am looking for. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Do you have any idea where the vehicle draws air from now ?

Fred
Old 05-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
How did the spacer give you mileage? There's nothing physical it can do on a direct port injection motor so this is really impossible. The exhaust is probably where you are seeing your MPG gain. What are you getting a tankful?
Getting 300 a tank (20 mpg) I also have oversized tires with the 3:91 gears. Stock tires were 225/75/15 (28.3 inches) I have revo's now that are 255/70/16 (30.1 inches) I got thease tires b/c I did'nt want to mess with gears for now but maybe someday

As far as the spacer, I think its doin somethin I dont have to downshift as much thats all I know. Its got a Heili screw lookin inside that the air passes thru and it gets swirled I guess, it makes a "whistle" sound that sounds like a turbo spooling up. I like it, some people look at me when I'm goin by and they have a look on their face like....... what the?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Getting 300 a tank (20 mpg) I also have oversized tires with the 3:91 gears. Stock tires were 225/75/15 (28.3 inches) I have revo's now that are 255/70/16 (30.1 inches) I got thease tires b/c I did'nt want to mess with gears for now but maybe someday

As far as the spacer, I think its doin somethin I dont have to downshift as much thats all I know. Its got a Heili screw lookin inside that the air passes thru and it gets swirled I guess, it makes a "whistle" sound that sounds like a turbo spooling up. I like it, some people look at me when I'm goin by and they have a look on their face like....... what the?
The spacer does absolutely nothing, other than make some noise.
Well, on second thought, it can/will increase your mileage.
When you buy the spacer you lighten your billfold weight, which in turn lightens the weight of the vehicle, thereby increasing mileage

Fred
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Super bleeder, can you mail/pm me the info on what you did for that set up? also the battery intake swap if you would. Thanks!
Yeah, no problem man, but I'll have to wait till I get home on my own computer. I'm at my sister's house right now, but will be home tomorrow afternoon

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
So, do you get like an intake noise when you give it a bunch of throttle? On my brothers 86 crx he gets a pretty cool intake noise...and thats what I am looking for. Thanks!
Oh yeah, it's really loud after I put this filter on. With an open element, it still noticeable, but this one aplifies it even more like an intake resonator or something, lol
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 PM

+1 super bleeder. you're gunna like the way it sounds and subesquently press on the skinny peddle a little harder and loose whatever you gain....
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
The spacer does absolutely nothing, other than make some noise.
Well, on second thought, it can/will increase your mileage.
When you buy the spacer you lighten your billfold weight, which in turn lightens the weight of the vehicle, thereby increasing mileage

Fred
Whadeva, proof is in the pudding. Have you tried one?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Whadeva, proof is in the pudding. Have you tried one?
Yup, we've tried 'em on several vehicles. No difference at all.
Enough people have tried them (with no good results) on several forums that I visit, for several types of vehicles.

By what magic do you think that they work, bearing in mind that I'm an engineer

Fred

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Cold Air Intake Give Better Milege