Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Do Our Clutches Just Go Out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Our Clutches Just Go Out?

Driving home today and my truck just wouldn't let me change gears. There was no warning, like slipping or hard shifting, it just quit. No noise either. With the truck not running I can change gears no problem. It has Marlins shifter seat bushing.

The master and slave are a year old.. I bleed the slave a few times while waiting on the tow truck, but it didn't help.

I am guessing pressure plate failer some how.

If it was just wear, I would think I would get some slipping.

Anybody have this happen to them.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM

If the slave in fact bled out, in other words, you got fluid out of it and the pedal feels OK, then what you describe would be a little strange. A bad pilot bearing could cause it but as you say, there would likely be some warning. I would suggest a close visual inspection of the throwout lever and slave cylinder while depressing the pedal to make sure you are disengaging properly and if not check the master cylinder. Akso, you may be able to pop the dust boot off of the throwout lever and peek inside at the pressure plate with a mirror and see what's happening. Once, I saw a clutch disc rip apart from the spline but it made a disturbing racket and it was a 600HP engine!!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds to me like a portion of the hydraulic system has failed. This exact same thing happened to me, and it was the master cylinder. Check under your dash. If you have a brake (aka clutch) fluid mess, you know its the master cylinder.
Contributing Member

The slave is operating, as in moving in and out, the fork is moving smooth.

I will pull the dust boot, and see if I can see what is happening tomorrow.

Aside from the standard clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, rear main seal, front seal in the tramsmission and resurface the fly wheel it should be a standard job, I hope.
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to jack your, but to merely add that yesterday I was wondering the same thing. I was driving home and all of a sudden I lots more play in my shifter. Side to side, front to back. I know they go out, I thought they would give you more warning. I have plenty of fluid. And it still shifts fine. Kinda wierd. Sorry Tortis I don't know. Just looking for some insight. I doubt the throwout bearing as those rarely go out. So that leaves pressure plate, clutch disc. , and ? there aren't that many parts of that system.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

DC that was my first thought was the hyd. system but it is full and the MC is not leaking. The pedal has the standard feel.

Yoda yours sounds like the shifter seat bushing ise worn pretty bad. Marlins sells a really good one made of teflon I think, but they work and wear great.

Oh well. The clutch is the only part that has not been replaced since I bought the truck.

Wish it could of been closer to the weekend.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Can you start it in gear and shift without the clutch?

If so, it's not the clutch per se.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Check the clutch bracket for cracks/breaks.

There was a thread on it not long ago. I have personally fixed/help fixed two now.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Marc, I can start it in gear, but can't change gears. Once I try and shift and it hits neutral, it's not going into another gear.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Seriously check the bracket..

Mine broke when i was driving home. "pop" i heard it break, (but i knew it was cracking) and then i got to drive 20 miles home without the clutch.

During that whole time the pedal felt fine but i could not get it to go into gear with teh clutch.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only thing I can think of requires a couple of things happening at the same time: the clutch not fully disengaging when you press the clutch pedal combined with synchromesh gear issues in the trans (worn synchro's, low or burned fluid maybe?) and you get a situation where the clutch isn't fully releasing but the internal drag within the trans and driveline is enough for the clutch / pressure plate to slip and the engine starts, but as soon as the input shaft is free to turn with the engine speed (stick hits neutral and clutch drag spins it up)... since it's not driving any gears within the trans and the synchros aren't meshing properly, the input shaft and gearsets are not matching speeds, making it so you can't get the trans in to the next gear.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

904 the bracket is fine.

No, with my luck it is the pressure plate.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Abe you have struck on my worst fear. Replacing the clutch and the trans be bad.

But for it to be shifting fine and then one push of the clutch pedal, and it not shift with no warning or noise.

I have adjusted the MC adjusting rod with no luck.

I am stumped.

Last edited by TORTIS; 07-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM

What I mentioned may be the worse case. You might try adjusting the clevis / pushrod behind the clutch pedal so that the pedal moves the release arm a bit farther and see if it is only the clutch dragging causing the main issue. If that takes care of it, the clutch pedal bracket may have broke, which limits the travel of the release arm... hard to explain but just imagine that if the pedal were suddenly farther away from the clutch master cylinder, the pedal only moves "so" far and if 1/4" of that travel is removed, that can make the difference between total clutch disengagement and slight dragging of the clutch.
Kind of like how if you move the front seat all the way back, you might not have enough leg to press the pedals fully. Make sense?

edit- nevermind, I see you've already adjusted the pushrod.... /me facepalms self.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-06-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 PM

You've checked the pivot / seat for the release arm, right?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Have you tried starting it (on the street of course) and taking off in first and seeing if you can shift to 2nd with the clutch? How about without the clutch?
Shifting without the clutch is a little difficult to get right but basically all you do is (don't press the clutch) let off the gas pedal and pull the shifter towards the next gear somewhat quickly but with only enough pressure to let the synchros do their job, not so much that you're forcing it to the next gear, and if the synchros are working the engine will slow down (since you let off the gas pedal), and the input shaft will match speeds with the next gearset and it will pop in to the next gear. If it won't pop into the next gear relatively smoothly, the synchros are not working properly and checking / changing the trans fluid would be the next thing to try.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The short rubber line just above the slave might be bulging.

Worth looking at.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
Check the clutch bracket for cracks/breaks.

There was a thread on it not long ago. I have personally fixed/help fixed two now.
Originally Posted by tortis
Marc, I can start it in gear, but can't change gears. Once I try and shift and it hits neutral, it's not going into another gear.
904 the bracket is fine.

No, with my luck it is the pressure plate.
Check the bracket WHILE someone is depressing it...it's easy to miss a crack...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoda yours sounds like the shifter seat bushing ise worn pretty bad. Marlins sells a really good one made of teflon I think, but they work and wear great.
Thanks Dude I will check that out.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Well I can see the pressure plate diaphram moving in and out. It is not hanging up, or binding, just moving like it is supposed to. I did noticed when I pushed the clutch pedal in, the pedal has a vibration coming from the throw out bearing, but still no noise, and this was with the engine running.

I am going to start the tear down now.

Quick Reply: Do Our Clutches Just Go Out?