86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY headlight wiring harness upgrade for low $$

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 83danimal
Hey yall, i followed these instructions to a T, ...
"These"? Are you talking about irab88's most recent post, or something else in the 9-page thread?

... I ordered bosch 5 pin relays that came with an 87 and 87a pins, but have them pigtailed to the 87 pins because the 87a pin was keeping the lights on while the switch was off. ...
I don't know what this sentence means. What is "them" that is "pigtailed" to the 87 pin(s)? Does "pigtailed" mean connected? Have you skipped the 87a pin on BOTH relays? Maybe if you draw a picture.

I'd start to make sure your vehicle is wired the same way as irab88's. Use your multimeter on the stock headlight connector. Do you get 12v to ground on pin one ONLY when the headlights are on? Are the other two pins connected to ground (measure 12v to the positive battery terminal) only when the high/low beams respectively are called for?

Does relay 2 close when the headlights are on? Does relay 1 change state when you switch from high to low beams?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed it! (I thought id read the whole thread, but missed some info!). For anyone else with this problem, connect pins 85 to the common in the old headlight socket. I ended up trying a few combinations to figure out what was what in the old plug, but eventually got it in the right sequence. Low beams stay on with brights, and its soooo much better than before!
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
... Low beams stay on with brights, ...
Then your wiring still doesn't follow the schematic. But if that's what you want, and you don't spend much time at idle with the high beams on (the power demand may out-run the alternator), go for it.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was supposed to be a link to the diagram i followed, it was the first one in the thread, from a jeep page. Ended up using that with xxxtreme22r's advice. Dont think ill be idling with my brights on.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by critter_catcher74
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

Anyone tried this, it's pre-made would eliminate some hassle?
Do you guys have an idea of what gauge is the wires used in this kit? It says something about heavy gauge, but I wonder if it's referring to 14 or 12 gauge...
The harness that Daniel's site offers seem to me right for the applications any one should have, not less than 14 gauge but 12 gauge prefferable...
Yes, a kit of harness like this will definately eliminate lots of hassles. I understand some people would like to make their own to save $30-$50 but all the time and hassle one has to go through is greater than the $$. The sketches for wiring and included in the kits save a lot of time. I will be ordering a harness for my 88 Toyota 4Runner from Daniel's site as soon as he emails me back and answers my questions, I think it is all straight forward dealing with this guy... Good luck all!

Last edited by Chaviator; 05-13-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 AM

Hey guys, the harness site I'm talking about is Danielsternlighting. Check it out. I got this info from Odin from a previous thread I was reading about "need headlight recommendations" and from there I got to this thread which opened my eyes even bigger about upgrading my harness for my 4Runner. So, check all these good suggestions, from 4crawler, iamsuperbleeder, Odin and many others, great suggestions to get your upgrade done. If you'd like to make your own harness, just make sure you get the right gauge wires and all the right hardware from a trusted place for instance Daniel Stern site. I cannot wait to get his response and suggestions of what I should do in my situation and proceed from there...

Last edited by Chaviator; 05-13-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM

An Ebay listing from Aviator's thread has a pn: 7x6-cr-9003-2. There is another version from the same vendor with the pn:7x6-cr-9003-3. Photos are the same. Neither is listed as working on my 86 Toyota pickup. Both listings have the same interchange pn. So either of these may work, but I might not have a functioning blue high beam indicator light? An earlier non active listing uses pn: 7x6-cr-9003-1 and is listed to work on my 86 pickup. Might be the part numbers are different because the wires are of slightly different lengths. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330974040108?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Last edited by chuckross1957; 05-14-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaviator
Do you guys have an idea of what gauge is the wires used in this kit? It says something about heavy gauge, but I wonder if it's referring to 14 or 12 gauge...
That's a Putco kit and I have one. "Heavy Duty Wires" is straight up advertising B.S. The wires are of metric sizing and from what I remember they are close to 16 AWG. What fools people into thinking they are heavy gauge is the thickness of the insulation that protects the wire. Once it's cut the actual diameter of the wire becomes apparent. The relays aren't exactly good quality either. If anybody pays more than 20 bucks for a Putco kit they are paying too much. Be aware there are others out there that are exactly the same kit with a different name. Some have different colored sheathing covering on the wires but when you look closer at the parts used it's the same kit.

Originally Posted by Chaviator
The harness that Daniel's site offers seem to me right for the applications any one should have, not less than 14 gauge but 12 gauge prefferable...
Yes, a kit of harness like this will definately eliminate lots of hassles. I understand some people would like to make their own to save $30-$50 but all the time and hassle one has to go through is greater than the $$. The sketches for wiring and included in the kits save a lot of time. I will be ordering a harness for my 88 Toyota 4Runner from Daniel's site as soon as he emails me back and answers my questions, I think it is all straight forward dealing with this guy... Good luck all!
Years ago when I purchased from him he sent me quite the pre-made generic list of information. I hope he's not still doing that, it seems like you are getting a computer generated response. Still, he has good information but I was surprised to receive it in such a manner. A few people have posted that the generic response turned them away. Others didn't follow through because they felt they got ignored.
He can actually forget to email you back because he's busy and tries to keep it a personalized business with few people which means he and others are doing a lot. If you feel he's skipped you and you still want to do business with him just hit him up again.

The relays I received were good but the fuse holders supplied were strange to me. You didn't crimp or solder them, you simply inserted the wire and turned a screw to secure it into place. I'm pretty sure he has changed some parts supplied with his kit for the better. I hope you post some detailed pictures when you get the kit so I can see what he's changed.

Last edited by Odin; 05-17-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckross1957
An earlier non active listing uses pn: 7x6-cr-9003-1 and is listed to work on my 86 pickup.
Actually the same seller (octane_lighting) has a current listing with that part number in it. Trouble is the listing says "This part is not compatible" with 1986 Toyota 4Runner or Truck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-H...8AAOxy0QtR8FS8

This is what I purchased and I'll bet it's the same manufacturer - Listed as CHSKY on the box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171559005371?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The auction with headlight relay 7x6-cr-9003-1 is listed at $34.95 plus $8.50 shipping.
The one I purchased is listed at $17.90 and free shipping.

My 91 Truck is also listed as not compatible but it works.
I received mine pretty quickly and haven't had a problem using it on a daily basis. The wires are roughly 14 AWG and they had more than enough length. The only problem with the kit is that the high beam indicator light in the dash is lit up VERY dimly.

Apparently to solve this problem the kit needs a resistor added. If you look at the pictures in all of the relays mentioned none of them have an added resistor.

Last edited by Odin; 05-17-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple questions and thoughts for the membership about this - don't want to step on any toes but this topic is good for many other years than just '86 - '95. Pretty much any year that uses a ground-switched system, which to my understanding is all Toyotas up until...???? Don't know when or if they stopped using ground switching...?

Also, this thread contains wiring diagrams that simply won't work. It's a little confusing when you first start reading through it. The first couple of diagrams posted treat the factory wiring as positive switched, which it isn't. There are other diagrams out on the web that come up when you search for Toyota Truck Headlight Relay Harness that are also incorrect.

So, I'm wondering, if I was to start a new thread in the Toyota SUV & Truck Tech / General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics with more info and a write up on what I'm doing and a link back to this thread, would that be a good idea?