Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Disclaimer: 2nd Gen fuel line leak due to making contact with access panel edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disclaimer: 2nd Gen fuel line leak due to making contact with access panel edge

Alright lads, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before so I figured I'd throw this out there anyhow. Recently I started to smell fuel coming from the passenger side of my 92' 4R and noticed a trail of gas on the tank. I lifted the rear seat and opened to access panel that is on the passenger side directly over the fuel hard line which screws into the fuel pump line fitting and then makes 90 degree turn and runs along the frame to the fuel filter.

I noticed that the stock hard line had been making contact with the access panel's edge probably since 92' and it finally gave way. I ended up cutting a 1" piece out of the line and temporarily fixing it w/ Fuel Injection Hose and High Pressure FI fittings until I get the new fuel line in.

I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a rubber stop or something to buffer between the line and edge of the access panel but I would recommend opening up the access panel. If you do happen to see the fuel line has made contact, I would cut a piece of fuel hose in half down the length of it and slip it over that small section of the line and secure it w/ zipties or hose clamps.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like cheap insurance

After a recent BT/DoneThat, I will only offer a couple of suggestions here from a backyard hack/engineer. Once the rear line is attached to the filter and routed/zip tied fixed in some way.... the tank end of the line will be pointed in a reasonable location to attach to the 6-7" flex line that makes the pump, depending on how creatively you placed (forced) the new line into it's current location. I simply bent the line as needed to achieve a good, safe position when the tank was back in the picture. Also, because this was winter funtime work on a DD, I enlarged the "access hole" about 527% to facilitate fuel pump R&R in the future. Still liking the truck, but lovin the sawzall.