86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Differences in water pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in water pumps?

I've got a 94 runner with the 3.slow. I recently found out that the heads are off of an 88-92, but the block is a 94.....FRANKENSTEIN...LOL

Anyway, the guy who owned it before me put it together with the hydraulic t- belt idlers and the mechanical fan bracket. so th T-belt had no tension and you guessed it, it blew. So now I've gone ahead and ordered all of the mechanical equipment to re-install the t-belt correctly.

My question is.....is there a difference in the water pumps? The pump on my truck has a tab that looks like a dowel is suppose to be pressed into...I think its for a 94. The #2 Idler is suppose to be attached to it, and from all the pictures I've looked at, I can't tell if it's tapped and the bolted...or a specific dowel has been pressed into it...

I don't mind tapping it, but I want to make sure I'm not messing anything up and have to replace the belt again....

Any thoughts would help...THX
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Are you talking about the little pivot dowel for the Timing Tensioner bracket?

All it is is a pivot for your tensioner to use when installing the tbelt. Once the belt is installed, you tighten down the bolt that goes through the bearing of the tensioner pulley (thus the slot.)

After the tensioner pulley is tightened down, it's not gonna move anyway, so that dowel is just for the next time you have to replace the belt (same for the spring.)

When I did my rebuild, I ordered a new water pump, and tensioner (along with a crapload of other things) and neither the dowel, nor the spring came with, so I had to use the old ones. The dowel looked like it had been ground down a little on one side to allow it to fit in the water pump, but the untouched end of the dowel fit perfectly (not pressed) in the tensioner bracket.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Thx so much, thats exactly what I needed to know. So as long as the idler fits the dowel snuggly, its fine...doesn't actually move around on it. Ok, so I can just hit the hardware store and add a dowel that fits.

Perfect....Thx
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by icebear
Thx so much, thats exactly what I needed to know. So as long as the idler fits the dowel snuggly, its fine...doesn't actually move around on it. Ok, so I can just hit the hardware store and add a dowel that fits.

Perfect....Thx
Yeah, just make sure it's snug enough that it won't fall out and get caught in the Timing Belt as it's running... That would probably not be good. :-) Maybe superglue it to the tensioner bracket (just a dab so you can reuse it when you replace that stuff again.)

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Couldn't find a dowel big enough for the bracket, so I tapped it and used a bolt and washer instead, a little dab of blue loctite and I'm good to go!!!

UPDATE: truck is running great, appearently it wasn't installed right to begin with!!!!