Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Difference between Japanese and US Master Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Japanese and US Master Cylinders

So I was planning on changing my master cylinder on my '94 Toyota pickup (2wd, base) this week... Turns out O'reilly's gave me a 'Japanese' remanufactured MC. To my surprise my old reservoir did fit; the rubber seals are too small and the originals didn't fit either. Couldn't mount it.

So after driving to autozone, advanced, AutoQuest, NAPA nobody had the 'US Made' MC in stock. I will have to wait 3-5 days for them to get it in and even then I'm sure if they'll work with my reservoir. So logically I'm just going to buy online.

Question is, what is the difference in the master cylinder between the 'US model' pickups and the Japanese models? Why in the world would reservoir mounting seal be different? I figure i'll just buy a MC with a reservoir with it, but is the bore size different?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you sure that they gave you the correct part for a truck and not a car. I got a slave cylinder that said Toyota but was incorrect.

My experience with part store part.
Copied...
I had a slave cylinder to leak so I replaced it with a parts store just to get it running again. After hitting the brakes sevral times, I felt the pedal give alot. I had to go further down the road and my brake light came on and could tell my brakes were getting bad.

I pulled over and checked all of the brakes and the driver rear brake had fluid everywhere. The one that I had changed the slave cylinder on. Rear brakes are not my strongest area, so I figured I had done something wrong. After several times I had a friend that knows rear brakes to help me and when we compared an old factory cylinder to the parts store slave cylinder, we noticed that the parts store cylinder was correct for bolting up to the hub, but the pistons were not long enough to stay in the cylinder. I normally check when using parts stores parts, but this time I figured it was right as it bolted up and everything. Parts stores quality is going down hill.

Parts Stores Cylinder. The piston would not stay in.
Name:  slavecylinder2_zps4625ed4a.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  69.8 KB

The one on the right is what I should of had all along. The one on the left is the parts store piston.
Name:  slavecylinder1_zpsd8462ec0.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  76.1 KB
Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's possible. Maybe the brand all the parts store use (cardone) uses a different rubber gasket. Either way, it's cheaper to purchase a brand new one online than to purchase one from a parts store and since either way I'll be waiting till next weekend, its a no brainer to order online.

I'm just trying to confirm if there is even a difference between them in general.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it that the Japanese ones have smaller "parts" ?

Sry had to do it.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Woogies
So I was planning on changing my master cylinder on my '94 Toyota pickup (2wd, base) this week... Turns out O'reilly's gave me a 'Japanese' remanufactured MC. To my surprise my old reservoir did fit; the rubber seals are too small and the originals didn't fit either. Couldn't mount it.

So after driving to autozone, advanced, AutoQuest, NAPA nobody had the 'US Made' MC in stock. I will have to wait 3-5 days for them to get it in and even then I'm sure if they'll work with my reservoir. So logically I'm just going to buy online.

Question is, what is the difference in the master cylinder between the 'US model' pickups and the Japanese models? Why in the world would reservoir mounting seal be different? I figure i'll just buy a MC with a reservoir with it, but is the bore size different?
Can you post a pic of your MC?
It's possible the bore size is cast into the metal.
Did the AP store ask for a Vin#?
As Terry said could have been wrong master or maybe boxed wrong.