Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Did I burn up my head? (highway speed w/Advance disabled)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I burn up my head? (highway speed w/Advance disabled)

My 92 toyota with its 22re has an electric timing advance. When I just finished re-re-rebuilding the top/front end I set the timing and there is a "jumper" you have to enable to disable the electrical advance. Well I did that but forgot to remove the jumper. I didn't experience any problems while driving the truck into North Pole, about 2 miles each direction. Yeah the truck seemed under powered, but it had pretty much always seemed that way (210+k miles with 33" tires with 4.10:1 gears). So when I just drove it into Fairbanks, about 30 minutes at highway speed there wasn't any indication there was anything wrong. The truck acted normal, even when I got into town and was driving around at 35-40mph. When I started the truck up about an hour later there was an obvious "miss" to the engine. I shut it down, checked all the wires and such but nothing seemed wrong. I had to do more driving around, and even made it back home (another 30 miles), all while thinking that the plug or wire must have gone bad. But when I got home I went to check the timing and seen I still had the jumper installed. Can you think of anything mechanical (valves/head) that could have gotten damaged while driving about an hour at 3000(ish) RPMs with the timing "locked" and couldn't advance? The truck was running perfect before I went into the DMV and missing like crazy after. This is the only thing I've found. I pulled the plugs, I didn't see anything that I thought would be wrong, cleaned the cap and rotor, and no improvement... I would have loved to gone and got a new "tune up" kit and replaced the plugs, cap, rotor and wires to just "HOPE" that was the problem but Alaska shuts down really early. I've got a feeling with the way my last month went, this one won't be an improvement.

Thanks!

Corey
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
since the ignition timing was "retarded" I'd be willing to bet you melted/damaged a valve. Get a compression gauge on there and do a compression and poor man's leak down check. Also you drove with the check engine light on and/or flashing?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM

There was no indication on the dash. No check light steady or flashing. And it would it would figure that a valve would be the loss, I just put this new head on a year ago and kept having to pull one thing or another. Seems like my bad luck is holding. I'll see about the compression check.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
If your check engine light was not on, then your jumper wire was not functioning. Which means when you set your timing it was too far advanced, not retarded. Which means detonation and not just heat. Detonation can cause a whole heck of a lot more problems. One of them being a hole in a piston.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:20 PM

That is good to know. This engine has been giving me all kinds of problems. What prompted me to tear into this (again) was I was getting a LOT of top end noise. When I found out the hydraulic tensioner wasn't working, it was the timing chain grinding on the (DS) guide bolts. I re-replaced the timing set, and oil pump (this time). I mangled the head gasket on re-install but just opted to cut it and use FIPG to resolve the problem. When I pulled the front cover off the engine was running fine, but started to "break up" at top end, losing power and such. But this time after the new components it was running fine, I can't confirm that when I sent the timing that the engine light was flashing. I just reached in, started the truck and adjusted the timing. I've never checked to see if the light was flashing. I based the jumper "working" on that the timing was always jumping around a little bit, after putting in the jumper, it always stabilized. Seemed good enough I figured. When I got home, it was right where I had put the timing (5-8 BTDC) (The new pump is very vauge and marks are 0, 10 and 12).

I just checked the #2 and #3 cylinder so far and they are making good pressure. I checked those just because when I pulled the plugs, they were the worst. I"m on another project and will check the other two. Obviously #4 sucks... I can't wait for that one!

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on checking 1 & 4, I've got new plugs and cap/rotor. There are no 22RE ignition wires in the interior of Alaska (through Napa).

Thanks again!

Corey
Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuse my (perhaps misguided) attempt to reassure you, but, in my experience, these motors are not quite the weak little pansies some here are making them out to be. Yes, perhaps your fuelling map and timing were not optimal for your running conditions.

Nevertheless, with timing locked in and not advancing, I'd be willing to bet you simply were running pig rich and retarded (your engine, not you ).

Anyways, yes, it's not the best. Doing so for an hour isn't sweet for your motor, but you know what -- you had a cooling system which WAS working, and even if there was greater heat, the stress should be taken up in your oil and coolant (as well as hotter EGT's).

You weren't quite hooning the vehicle, just running mid-range RPM's.

The only way to know for sure is to do a compression / leak down as others have said, but really, these motors are stout -- mine has been through plenty of stupidity and still runs like a champ.

Set your timing properly and go from there -- anything else is just internet speculation.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corey-
Which ignition wires are you looking for? I have a lot of 22re wires lying around. I have 2 or 3 sets of spark plug wires if thats what you're after. I'm sure I have other things as well. Used of course. Just my spares.

-- I bought a few parts off you last weekend. The rubber shift boot and tailgate carpet
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Well the outlook is getting grim. I checked compression on 1-4, all are at 180psi. I put in 4 new plugs, cap, rotor and re-set the timing (was at 0deg). This time I ensured the "check engine light" was flashing. Set it at 8* and... no-joy. I'm planning a trip into Fairbanks today or as late as tomorrow so I'll see if anybody else in town has a set of wires. If that doesn't work I'll have to assume the worst. I'll be leaving for a couple months and won't get a chance to work on it until after christmas. Kind of bummed. I cant think of anything else that could have really happend. Especially since it was running perfectly up to the point I shut it down and missing after being parked for an hour...

Thanks again for the input!

Corey
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM

And thanks William for the offer on the wires. I'm working on that Taco so I'm only spending a few minutes when my back needs a rest. I also had a guy suggest that an injector may have gotten plugged up... I'm not looking forward having to pull that thing apart AGAIN!