Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Diagnostic mode - idle does not drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnostic mode - idle does not drop

First off, this issue is not on my truck, its on my friends truck. He also has an 88 4runner with the 22RE. My buddy recently had a rebuilt engine installed on his truck. He asked me if I could check his timing.

I inserted the paperclip into the diagnostic plug on the E & T1, but the idle did not drop, it remained the same. At the cluster you could see the check engine light flash on and off, which is supposed to happen when you go into limp mode, but I did not hear the audible drop, and the idle remained the same.

I chose not to mess with the timing until I figured out why the limp mode did not seem normal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM

New observation:

I took a look at the engine bay of my friends truck, and observed that the TPS plug appears to be broken on one side. I'm not talking about the TPS itself, but the plug that connects to it. Do you think this may be throwing it off?

I was thinking that this broken plug may have unattached the TPS and the truck was automatically going into limp mode.

Any thoughts or pointers?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The tps must show throttle closed to set timing and also I think to check codes. It does that by grounding the IDL terminal to E2. So yes, a bad tps connection definitely could be the cause of your trouble.

Try adjusting the tps per the fsm, and if you can't get IDL & E2 to have continuity no matter the position, you need a new tps.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also check the tps adjustment as well
Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A broken TPS plug could cause the terminals inside it to not engage the TPS properly and result in the issues you're experiencing.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM

^ Ok thanks. That is what I was thinking, because when I tried to put the truck in limp mode, there was no audible drop. In addition, there was no difference in the idle if I plugged the TPS and tried adjusting it. I even tried a different TPS that I know does work. It just felt as if the truck did not recognize that the TPS was even there.

I relayed this information to my buddy and he is going to try to hunt a 22RE vehicle in one of the local junkyards to get the TPS pigtail.

Now we need to decide how to install the replacement plug.
1. Cut off the old plug and crimp the new one on
2. Cut off the old plug and solder the new one on
3. Try to individually push out the pins from the broken pig tail and get them back on the new one.

What do you all suggest?

I have never done this. If anyone has any experience with this, I would like to know how you dealt with this issue.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by socal_style
^ Ok thanks. That is what I was thinking, because when I tried to put the truck in limp mode, there was no audible drop. In addition, there was no difference in the idle if I plugged the TPS and tried adjusting it. I even tried a different TPS that I know does work. It just felt as if the truck did not recognize that the TPS was even there.

I relayed this information to my buddy and he is going to try to hunt a 22RE vehicle in one of the local junkyards to get the TPS pigtail.

Now we need to decide how to install the replacement plug.
1. Cut off the old plug and crimp the new one on
2. Cut off the old plug and solder the new one on
3. Try to individually push out the pins from the broken pig tail and get them back on the new one.

What do you all suggest?

I have never done this. If anyone has any experience with this, I would like to know how you dealt with this issue.
Either 1 or 2 will work just fine. I used little crimp on connections and put heat shrink on them when I extended my wires. No issues so far. *knock on wood*