Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Deep cycle battery?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deep cycle battery?

Quick dumb question, I have a deep cycle marine battery just taking up space in the garage, can I put it in my 92?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been running a deep cycle marine battery for the last 4 or 5 years.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything will fit if you have a big enough hammer.

My understanding:
Marine/RV/golf cart/etc batteries are not designed for starting -- i.e. supplying vast amounts of current for short periods of time. They are designed for providing lower amounts of current for more sustained periods and for being able to survive multiple experiences of near total discharge.
That's why in an RV you have two sets of different types of batteries.

Understanding that, you can start your truck with a marine battery, just don't expect it to last a long time or to provide a lot of starting current.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
I've been running a deep cycle marine battery for the last 4 or 5 years.
As a starting battery or as duals?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
As a starting battery or as duals?
I only have one battery.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM

The odyssey batteries can function equally well in deep cycle and starting applications.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by NRandall
The odyssey batteries can function equally well in deep cycle and starting applications.
but....$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
but....$$$$$$$$$$$
The best usually is. But they also last twice as long.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NRandall
The best usually is. But they also last twice as long.
They'll last longer than that....
The Sears Platinum (I believe that's the one) are the same and cost less.

The Odyssey's have a huge advantage over virtually all other available for the average Joe Blow.
They don't outgas (and yes, the Optimum's and others do).
They don't suffer from evaporative loss. This is especially important in hot areas such as here in S. Arizona.
They have a lot of resistance to vibration problems....
The list goes on and on...

Fred
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM

nix4x4-
As you can guess by now, you can use a deep cycle/marine battery for your battery in the truck.
And we should clarify something: there are typically 3 classes of batteries- deep cycle,; deep cycle/marine, and automotive.
I wouldn't use a deep cycle battery as the primary battery for starting an engine: it may work but they require longer charging periods and less charge current in order to maximize battery life. Quick charging them, which implies raising the voltage to supply extra current, can overheat them quickly. These batteries are well suited for RV's, etc., which typically have charger circuitry that is capable of charge-current limiting, adjustable float voltage (usually not exceeding 13.5 volts) and battery equalization (short period of higher than normal voltage to bring all the batteries to similar charge states).
The combined deep cycle / marine batteries, as the name implies, are for boats and the like and are meant to start the engine(s) on boats as well as run accessories when the engine(s) aren't running. Often, there is more than one battery installed so starting current becomes less of an issue. Like deep cycle batteries they recover from use better with less charge current so excessive charge current / voltage can shorten their lifespan but not as bad as true deep cycle batteries- a factor mitigated by having multiple batteries in parallel.
Automotive batteries... well you know about them. They deliver more amps to start the vehicle but at the sacrifice of how long they can deliver them. Automotive batteries typically have a larger number of thinner plates. This let's them tolerate higher charge currents and helps them recover from delivering starting currents more quickly than the other battery types.

Worse you can do is try it out. If it's cold outside, you may have issues with the dc/marine battery supplying enough current to crank the engine. If you don't then it's fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
nix4x4-
As you can guess by now, you can use a deep cycle/marine battery for your battery in the truck.
And we should clarify something: there are typically 3 classes of batteries- deep cycle,; deep cycle/marine, and automotive.
I wouldn't use a deep cycle battery as the primary battery for starting an engine: it may work but they require longer charging periods and less charge current in order to maximize battery life. Quick charging them, which implies raising the voltage to supply extra current, can overheat them quickly. These batteries are well suited for RV's, etc., which typically have charger circuitry that is capable of charge-current limiting, adjustable float voltage (usually not exceeding 13.5 volts) and battery equalization (short period of higher than normal voltage to bring all the batteries to similar charge states).
The combined deep cycle / marine batteries, as the name implies, are for boats and the like and are meant to start the engine(s) on boats as well as run accessories when the engine(s) aren't running. Often, there is more than one battery installed so starting current becomes less of an issue. Like deep cycle batteries they recover from use better with less charge current so excessive charge current / voltage can shorten their lifespan but not as bad as true deep cycle batteries- a factor mitigated by having multiple batteries in parallel.
Automotive batteries... well you know about them. They deliver more amps to start the vehicle but at the sacrifice of how long they can deliver them. Automotive batteries typically have a larger number of thinner plates. This let's them tolerate higher charge currents and helps them recover from delivering starting currents more quickly than the other battery types.

Worse you can do is try it out. If it's cold outside, you may have issues with the dc/marine battery supplying enough current to crank the engine. If you don't then it's fine.

Nice write up!

So with that in mind would it be a better idea for me to grab a deep cycle battery for my accessories instead of another Red Top?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Are you talking about replacing your battery with a deep cycle, or adding a 2nd battery?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Are you talking about replacing your battery with a deep cycle, or adding a 2nd battery?
Adding an second one. I have a Red Top in there now.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Hard call actually.
I'd probably do a deep cycle battery with some sort of switch so I could disconnect it and the main battery from the system as necessary that way you'd have one in reserve. If you messed up and ran the primary battery down, you could switch the other in and in essence 'jump start' yourself and likewise if you ran down the secondary battery you could switch over to the primary battery to start the vehicle and begin recharging.
But it would depend on the accessories- deep cycle for a reading light or two and a quiet stereo to sleep with through the night or maybe to run a small inverter. I've seen RV's discharge 4 deep cycle batteries in 4 hours, but that's all the lights, heater and the stereo blaring speakers inside and out... and I've seen them last days with only 1 battery- basically running one light at a time and the water pump for the shower.
Comes down to how much power you need (amps) and how long you'll need it for.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of this one http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim.../yellowtop.php

best of both worlds

edit: whats the difference between the yellow top and blue top?

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 12-30-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
The Sears Platinum (I believe that's the one) are the same and cost less.

Fred
That's what I'm using now. Sears Platinum marine with 3 year warranty (not pro-rated).
Old 12-30-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
whats the difference between the yellow top and blue top?
different colors?

im a fan of the yellow tops as well, especially if you got winching in the near future. although i would dual battery it if it were me.

my 2 cents
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran a deep cycle battery in a cutlass supreme with a high current stereo drain for years with no problems at all. If I had one laying around I'd use it in a heartbeat.