Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dead Toyota (possible starter issue?)

Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Toyota (possible starter issue?)

Alright, so over the weekend, I took my 94 Toyota Pickup (DLX V6, manual) offroad (some very mild trails). Came to a place where I had to turn around and I stalled the truck. Only it didn't stall like a vehicles normally do; Lights, radio, everything went dead. Somehow figured out that the battery was dead, hooked it to my trickle charger (300 crank amps) and the lights and radio came back to life, but there wasn't enough juice to turn it over. Let it sit for a bit and still no joy. So after messing with it, trying different things for about an hour, I gave up and called for help. A buddy of mine came out and we tried to jump it. It'd very weakly turn over once or twice and then start clicking again. So we tried messing with it a few different ways from there and eventually went back to my place and grabbed my jumpstarter (2200 crank amps) and even with that, it just barely got it going with the gas pedal all the way down to the floor.
Now today I changed out the battery for a new one from O'Reilly's and it won't even turn over with this new one; even with the jumpstarter hooked up. So now I'm up a creek. I'm thinking/hoping it's the starter; which brings me to my question: how hard is it going to be to change the starter on a 94 pickup with a 3VZE & 4wd? Any tips/pointers on what would make the process go along more smoothly? Also, if it isn't the starter, what else could it be?
Attached Thumbnails Dead Toyota (possible starter issue?)-20150313_165527.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Before going to all the trouble figure out just what is wrong .

If the truck just died good chance your starter is not the main problem although it may be getting tired.

I have had starters short out after that most times they don`t work at all completely dead .

I am thinking poor connection some place.

Break out the Meter and get some real world numbers.

I would look at your ground connections