Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dangerous Brake issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dangerous Brake issue!!

Hey everyone, I got a 90' 4runner 3vze 5speed 4wd with rear anti lock, 222k stock.
Recently it has developed this pita problem where the front brakes will grab hard at low speeds mostly when slowing to a stop, pedal feels normal. sometimes when going slow enough a hard clunk will happen and the whole damn truck will come to a complete stop without even touching the brake pedal, this will happen EVERYTIME I brake coming to a stop. But sometimes rarely it wont happen at all and all will seem normal.. also while going 20mph or more a loud "purging" sound will come from either the left front or right. it will go on for a good amount of time until i stop the truck at a light. it happens randomly but doesn't seem to slow me down. loud and annoying more than anything, can only really compare it to the sound of an ac compressor purging freon but amplified times ten! one side of the front wheels will completely lock up but will bust free after undergoing a load. this is very dangerous for me because of the recent ice and snow here in kansas city..
Very stumped on this, I took the runner all the way up in the mountains in colorado and it was perfect all the way to breckenridge and back home. brake pads are good and its always been topped full with brake fluid. anyone else had a similar issue with these trucks? Again this started happening out of nowhere, just hopped in one day and it wanted to be an ass. its traveled over 10,000 miles since I bought it and its been as good as gold until now.

Last edited by Fractilo; 01-06-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you positive it is the rear brakes? I have had a bad booster give me the same results you are experencing. It affected my front brakes. In a safe area, what I did was disconnect the vacuum line to the booster and plugged the line. It will only give you 25% braking power but see if the brakes no longer apply themselves.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:53 PM

The rears do not have any issues, only happens in the front. I will test plugging the line to the booster here in a bit and see if it makes any difference.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM

I plugged the line and have only driven down the street, haven't noticed much change aside from a super stiff pedal. Stopping seems somewhat smoother but still unsure. Leaving my neighborhood was nerve wrecking! the front driver side wheel completely locked up and had to punch the gas in 4wd to unlock it, and with all the ice it was tough to regain control. I will update any differences. But if this booster is not the issue... What should i check out next?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds to me either calipers hanging up

A crushed brake line causing the caliper to not release as fast as it should

Grease on the Rotors
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Unhappy

Calipers hanging up? could you be more definitive?

And as far as updates on the brake booster... There is no difference, still having the same symptoms I have already explained earlier. Loud purging noise emitting from either side of the front wheels that comes and goes at random. and the truck still wants to stop itself at low speeds.. When I changed my front pads the other night i did not notice anything unusual, everything seemed good. it feels like the system is building up too much pressure. ideas ideas?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM

brake assembly actuator

Brake assembly actuator part4510-35010 is the culprit. It is powered by the power steering pump . It could be clogged or the power steering pump is weak.
Part of the anti- lock brakes in your truck.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM

Lightbulb

Where is this actuator located?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 AM

actuator location

actuator location is under the power steering pump attached to the frame. follow the hard lines form the pump. Usually the pump itself is weak which affects the brakes. I had the same conditions as you describe and replacing the power steering pump fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Dangerous Brake issue!!-diag_aejgar.png   Dangerous Brake issue!!-tube-power-barkw.png  
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Question

Hm. How strange, never on any vehicle I have owned and operated have i heard of the ps pump majorly effecting the brake system. I will look into this, but if my pump was weak... wouldn't the pump itself show any signs of stress? like whine or difficulty in turning the steering wheel? just trying to get some more insight on old toyota mechanisms.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Any Luck?

have you replaced the steering pump?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Smile flush the power steering remeber to use ATF

You can first flush out the power steering pump. remember to use ATF not power steering fluid.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Red face

Thing is that is piggy backed to the Power Steering Pump and only effects the rear brakes .

I know mine has been removed after the rear brakes quit working all together

It really was a strange idea and only around a short time.

Curious how this will play out
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
On the off chance that it is the rear ABS actuator, which runs off the power steering pump, here is the service manual section that covers that system. There is a diagnostic procedure described that might be of help. Like Wyoming says, the system is a bit unusual, and was only used in the 2nd gen 4runners. They needed pressure from somewhere to pulse the rear brakes, and they chose to get it from the PS pump.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
ABS.zip (1.38 MB, 4 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
On the off chance that it is the rear ABS actuator, which runs off the power steering pump, here is the service manual section that covers that system. There is a diagnostic procedure described that might be of help. Like Wyoming says, the system is a bit unusual, and was only used in the 2nd gen 4runners. They needed pressure from somewhere to pulse the rear brakes, and they chose to get it from the PS pump.
Just another thought. I'm wondering if a check valve has failed between the front and rear brake circuits, such that the pressure from the ABS system is now being applied to the front brakes and causing them to lock up. The "purging" noise you hear could certainly be the ABS actuator operating when it shouldn't.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:20 AM

Red face

Kind of curious just how this played out??