Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

dang...got stranded at 7eleven - ign switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
dang...got stranded at 7eleven - ign switch?

Pulled into a 7eleven and couldn't restart the truck. The key goes in, it turns from lock/acc/on/start, the steering wheel locks when in the lock position, unlocks when I turn it to the ACC position, but from ON to START there is no physical resistance (very loose). And of course I can't start, no crank or anything. It's as if I'm not pushing in the clutch or not hitting the clutch cancel switch. Again, there isn't the slightest physical resistance that I remember having when turning from the ON position to the START position when starting up. It's very loosey goosey.

Also, I now have constant power on as if I'm in the ON position no matter what position I turn the key to. For example, even though I can turn to the LOCK position and the steering wheel locks and I remove the key....there is still power (radio playing, clock on, etc...). I had to disconnect the battery cable to prevent eventually draining my battery.

I'm thinking the cylinder portion of the ignition switch is broken inside. It's too loose when turning. Anyone have this problem before? Can the cylinder portion be replaced or do I need to replace the whole switch? Will one from a 90-95 4runner work from the junk yard? Aaaargggg....

Very loose and a lot of play when turning back and forth from ON to START

Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help you but seems like I'm in the same boat, just opposite end. Mine sticks in the off position sometimes. Also will leave the starter on after returning the key to the run position after cranking.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM

MIne did the same,the electrcal part comes off the back of the assembly. Push it back into place, and I used Gorillia tape to put the two pices back together.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iselloil
MIne did the same,the electrcal part comes off the back of the assembly. Push it back into place, and I used Gorillia tape to put the two pices back together.
THANK YOU iselloil ! That was the problem. A clip of some sort that keeps it in place must've broken off. I'll have to play around at the junkyard one day and see what is suppose to keep it secure.

Would have never guessed that the loose electrical connection thing would have caused the loose turning. I was totally assuming a spring inside had broke. That connection must also have some kind of switch inside of it or something that gives the key turning physical resistance.

For anyone else in the future, Iselloil was talking about the white connector behind the switch as shown below. I had to put the key in and turn the key from LOCKED to ACC to ON and so forth while pushing the connector in in order for the connector to sit in there right, then used some zip ties to keep it connected.

Last edited by Grego92; 06-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yotatech saves the day again!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 AM

Go to the hardware store and get a roll of Gorillia tape.Cut in in i/2 width.Put the two together. The gorilla tape is the strongest around and extra sticky.A good thing to have in the tool box.I was on the beach fishing in Frisco N.C when mine broke.Taped it and on my way I went. Taht was two years ago.

Last edited by iselloil; 06-08-2012 at 03:25 AM.