Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CV Boot Replacement - 92 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Boot Replacement - 92 Pickup

Hi All,

Today I noticed grease on the lower control arm below the CV boot (the outer one closer to the wheel). I haven't had time to investigate, but I assume there is a tear in the CV Boot and it will need to be replaced.

Is this a reasonably straight forward job? Any writeup or steps anywhere, or is it too simple for that?

Thanks for any info!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
Most of the real work is in getting the axles off the truck and onto the ground, then back in.

But.........A very, I say VERY, dirty, messy job to properly clean,repack, and reboot them.

Many people just replace the half shafts complete to avoid the hastle.

I like to stick with the originals if they're not damaged.

I have done this work on both of my trucks. I would use nothing but genuine Toyota boot kits.

They contain the correct greases, clamps, and superior rubber boots.

Cheap aftermarket boots don't last long.

You might well consider repacking and resealing the front wheel bearings while you are in there.

If you overhaul everything you touch while you're at it, you should't have to look at any of it again for a long time. Unless you are a habitual deep water forder.......

This is quite a labor intensive job, and I hate to think of what real shop labor would cost.

The FSM for just about any year IFS truck from 1986 to 1995 will show you the way.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
To replace the outer boot you also have to replace the inner (the both come off the inner end). At Autozone, the pair will set you back $45. PLUS you need to make sure you have the right tool for the bands; there are two types, and whichever type you have already is not the one the boots kits come with now.

Or, you can buy a professionally re-man'd half-shaft for $62. millball is right; replacing the boots is a remarkably filthy job. I'd pay a lot more than the $17 difference to avoid it. So don't bother replacing the boots; leave it for someone (reman) who does it for a living. (As to OEM v. aftermarket, each to his own. I've had perfectly good luck with aftermarket. Your truck is already 23 years old; just how long do you need this repair to last?)

Once you decide to just replace the half-shaft, the job isn't THAT hard. But there is one part the FSM http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...15componen.pdf just doesn't mention. When you remove the half-shaft, the front suspension MUST be compressed as though it were sitting on the wheels. If you have the frame on jack stands with the wheels dangling, the angle is wrong and you will NOT be able to remove the half-shafts. I've had no trouble using jack stands, then a jack under the wheel hub to carefully lift it to compress the suspension. (Though one poster on this forum claimed that such a procedure was poor "etiquette." https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51948112 Your choice.)

Last edited by scope103; 08-18-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

With the Toyota Boot kits coming in around $50.00 or so after all the time to get the axles out.

I just bought new ones from Napa I might get around to rebuilding the old ones during the winter .

Then I will have a million other things to do

Then if you live in the North and put up with winter getting things apart can be a challenge .
Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

I did some perusing of the site, and like you guys mention, it seems like replacing the whole half shaft is the way to go. I'm certainly not trying to be cheap and save a few bucks by only replacing the boot. The half shafts in there are unfortunately not original. The originals got damaged pretty badly while wheeling, and these aftermarket ones lasted about 5 years now.

I forgot to mention, I have a fairly large lift on the truck... hopefully that doesn't complicate things. scope103 - I did notice a lot of people discussing the proper angle... I hope I can get it right without too much trouble.

So basically I should just get a new half shaft, and follow the FSM directions - http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...18frontdri.pdf

No special tools needed it looks like?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bobjohnson2121

No special tools needed it looks like? ...
Some people (not me) have trouble getting the "cone washers" out of the flange. The reports are usually along the lines of tapping the flange with a brass (plastic) hammer, to pop them out (indeed, it's probably a good idea to NOT remove the nuts all the way until you're sure the cone washers are loose. Some have reported the cone washer rocketing across the garage once they decide to let go!)

Replacing the whole shaft isn't just a matter of "not going cheap." As millball points out you KNOW where yours have been, and it's possible they're better than a reman. But getting the boot replacement right is not easy, and while I've done it more than once I've decided to never do it again. The money is just not worth it.