Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CV Boot/Halfshaft Replacement Help! 1993 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CV Boot/Halfshaft Replacement Help! 1993 4runner

1993 4runner 4x4 3.0

Yesterday I was looking around and I noticed grease all over the inside front passenger side fender. It looks like the outer boot on the CV axle has just started leaking, small rip. Since it just started I thought I could just replace the boot.

I found some very good information here but I still had some questions...

-I am attempting this for the first time outside in an apartment complex parking lot. Is it possible to get the axle off with the tire and wheel on? It looks tight but can it be done?

-I have a good socket set, floor jack, and various other common tools. Will ?I need any other specialty tools or strange socket sizes?

-I just tried to take the flange off of the ADD hub. I got all the bolts, washers, and cones off the it only slides 1/4" and will not come off. What is holding it up?

-It sounds like once you get both sides unbloted/connected you raise the vehicle and the suspension drop lets the CV slide out? easy as that?

-Last one... What does the instructions mean by "POUND or press out AT LEAST 2 OF THE STUDS. --The single most important step" does anybody have pictures? is this to get the axle off of the front diff?

Sorry for all the noob questions! I want to get this fixed before the joint gets contaminated.

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-23-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remove the wheel, it'll just be in the way.

No special tools that I can remember.

Did you remove the small bolt in the end of the axle, that could be why the flange won't come off.

The suspension might not drop far enough to get the axle out, you'll probably have to disconnect the lower ball joint from the control arm, 4 bolts underneath.

Pounding out the studs is to make it easier next time, with 2-3 studs replaced with regular bolts the ball joint doesn't have to be separated.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...15componen.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...18frontdri.pdf
look over these and make sure you removed all clips/bolds/nuts. good luck
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So far I have taken the six 10mm nuts. Where is the small bolt on the axle? is it under the cap on the flange?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by INFINITY
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...15componen.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...18frontdri.pdf
look over these and make sure you removed all clips/bolds/nuts. good luck
Nice!!! These should help too. I will check when I get home from work.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
Thanks for the reply.

So far I have taken the six 10mm nuts. Where is the small bolt on the axle? is it under the cap on the flange?
Yes, pry the cap off and you'll see it.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM

With a split boot kit, it is possible to repair the boot WITHOUT removing the halfshaft. It's not pretty, but it's doable.

Removing the halfshaft can be a bitch! I placed jackstands under the rear bumper and then lifted at the lower A-frame in order to squeeze it out.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks,

do split boots last as long as regular boots or a new halfshaft? They seem like they would not work as good. Opinions?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Hey man,
I'm a big time noob too, but did the half shafts in my driveway a couple weeks ago with no experience sucessfully. Don't worry too much, just have persistance.

I removed the wheel, take the cap off the end, and don't forget about the C clip thats on the axle. I had to buy some snap ring pliers to get it off easily.

I didn't press out 2 studs either. It was very tight, but like I said with persistance, and the floor jack i managed to wiggle them out.

In order for the outer side of the shaft to slid out I had to unbolt the shock absorber, the bolt holding it to the A Arm was in the way.

I had the truck on jack stands, and used the floor jack to raise the control arm to be parallel with the shaft, much easier to slide out. Undo the 6 bolts on the diff side. With the C-clip, ADD hub and bolts undone it will slide a bit to the outside enough to clear the studs on the inside. ONce you get it past them it should slide right out.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tempy T4R
Hey man,
I'm a big time noob too, but did the half shafts in my driveway a couple weeks ago with no experience sucessfully. Don't worry too much, just have persistance.

I removed the wheel, take the cap off the end, and don't forget about the C clip thats on the axle. I had to buy some snap ring pliers to get it off easily.

I didn't press out 2 studs either. It was very tight, but like I said with persistance, and the floor jack i managed to wiggle them out.

In order for the outer side of the shaft to slid out I had to unbolt the shock absorber, the bolt holding it to the A Arm was in the way.

I had the truck on jack stands, and used the floor jack to raise the control arm to be parallel with the shaft, much easier to slide out. Undo the 6 bolts on the diff side. With the C-clip, ADD hub and bolts undone it will slide a bit to the outside enough to clear the studs on the inside. ONce you get it past them it should slide right out.

Good luck!
Thanks alot.

I am not too new working on cars. I could rebuild my Explorer in a parking lot. HOWEVER... I am new to my 4runner, so far I have not done too much work to it. For example, I have never changed a CV boot or axle. Does not sound hard at all. Thanks again for all your help.

Yotatech Rocks!

Does anybody know about the split boots? are they not worth my money?

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-21-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Alright, I had some time to work on it today and I have a question...

Here is a pic. Is there a nut under the center cap on the flange? If so how do I get the cap off. I have been messing with it for a while and it like 20 degrees outside .

Thanks.

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-23-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM

A hammer and screwdriver did it for me.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
A hammer and screwdriver did it for me.
Ok, Thanks. So it just pops off? I will try a hammer.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 AM

If you've got a plastic hammer or somethin, it might work, but I had to get a flat blade screwdriver under the lip, tap it, an when it started the cap a lil, just turn the screwdriver. Then it pops right off.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

You need to find the gap between the cap and the flange, I used a sharp chisel to start and then pried it off with a screwdriver.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks JonnyBoy and eric. It came off. I had to use my smallest flat head and work my way up to a larger one. I don't think it has been off since the car was new. It is below freezing outside so it makes things a lot harder, LOL

One more question. It looks like there is a lot of grease under the flange. Do I need to grease anything with the new half shaft before putting it in?

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-23-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 PM

yeah I work on my VW all the time too....completely new to the 4runner.

This Forum is the best though, through searching and the very helpful members I have found answers to everything I was looking for.

I got that cap off, what stumped me was the cone washers holding the ADD flange on....had to visit the computer to figure that one out too! lol
Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
Thanks JonnyBoy and eric. It came off. I had to use my smallest flat head and work my way up to a larger one. I don't think it has been off since the car was new. It is below freezing outside so it makes things a lot harder, LOL

One more question. It looks like there is a lot of grease under the flange. Do I need to grease anything with the new half shaft before putting it in?
That grease is mostly from the wheel bearings. If you're not repacking them just leave it alone. You do want to put some grease inside the spindle though, easier done from the back. There are 2 brass bushings in there that wear out and get noisy if they are dry.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 PM

My cv's come out on flat level ground with the tire on.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3yotys
My cv's come out on flat level ground with the tire on.
Is there a trick? I got all the bolts off and it doesn't want to wiggle out. I am trying to pull it out from the bottom, below the lower arm. It gets caught up on the studs on the flange from the diff.

Other posts say to take off the upper bumpstop, shock, and sway link but I am working outside, in the street, and its trying to snow I will have to try that tomorow...

Thanks eric-the-red, I need to pick up some grease tomorrow.

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 11-23-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: CV Boot/Halfshaft Replacement Help! 1993 4runner