YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Custom Truck Bed Storage?

Hey guys, I'm sick of my diamond plate tool box in the back of my truck. I don't like how it sits above the level of the truck bed and how I'm sacrificing storage space on either side of it, as well as underneath it. I'm thinking of building a custom storage box and wanted to see if you guys had built anything. Pics, description, advice?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by Monochrome; 01-16-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

No one has built a custom truck box? Ok, well I'll build mine this week and be sure to show y'all what comes of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Maybe you can do something like the new Dodge and build some storage boxes into the area around the wheel wells of the bed or a false floor in the bed.
5.29's Front And Rear
35 x 12.5 x 15 MT's Micky Thompson Classic II Wheels
Super Charged 3.4 on the way

1993 SAS 4runner 22re 5 speed
4" front 5"rear
5.29's
35 x 12.5 BFG KM'S
Dick cepek DC 1's

88 stock 4runner
3.0 auto
for now

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe an in bed diamon plate box that goes the length of the bed? over the wheel wells and whatnot..?

My 99 Tacoma Single Cab build.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

May not help ya for your purposes but my original plan for air compressor and second battery under the bed isn't looking so good, weather and water crossings the main factor. Now I am looking at that void space, and thinking (dangerous by itself) the battery I have, Optima Yellow top from a 94 Honda Civic might fit on one side and the air compressor on the other. Build some covers for the gaps, relocate the tie down points and previously wasted space= used space

Firefighters, Because Police need heroes too

Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best

Try Geocaching
Old 01-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dont use a toolbox or anything, I just use a giant ammo case I got at an army surplus store. Looks rugged and is very practical. On top of it I have my magnetic CB antenna.

There is some wasted space to the left and right of it, but it's easily removable if i ever need to haul anything in the back.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Camach
Do you have pictures of your bed tool box? I did quite a bit of searching and I found this one a few summers ago. I had three requirements: NO chrome, low profile, made in America. I feel it doesn't really sacrifice to much storage space except for the length of the bed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Camach; 01-18-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thats nice and sleek !!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

That is probably the best tool box I've seen. I still don't want one that sticks above the bed at all, though, and it needs to give me about two more inches of space between the cab and the wheel wells. I've got a Thule bike rack and I need 2" more to fit my bike in the bed without dropping the tailgate. So those are a few reasons why I think I want to build my own, and I can shape it exactly to the size of the bed.

Here's my current bed setup, which is crap. Next plans are to ditch the aluminum guards and toolbox, sand down the rust and spray protectant, install a drop-in bedliner (because the wheel wells and rails on the bottom of the bed are dented and beat beyond recognition), and build a custom box for myself. Not too ambitious.

By the way, where did you get your bedliner Camach? It's exactly like what I want, and it goes all the way up to the rails.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Although I can't remember exactly who (might have been Matt16) but one of the guys on here with a 4runner built a storage unit that fit in the back of the runner very well.

Come to think of it there was another guy that built some storage for the back of his truck so he could haul all his gear and still use the bed area for sleeping in when he went camping. It was a neat little deck set up.

I just use a giant box that I slide out of the way when I need to haul something larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
First gens with the top off will get you laid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_goat View Post
That's like replacing the dilithium crystals in your warp drive and forgetting to take them out of the foil wrapper.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Theres a bunch of those runner boxes, I thought of doing the same at the end of my truck, but never got around to it...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have some army surplus ammo cans that fit between the front of the box, and the wheel well. Bolt them down, and they make a half-decent place to store some things.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Seems to me that the most efficient, and easiest way to make form fitting boxes would be to weld a piece of sheet from the wheel well to the tailgate, and then from there to the side of the bed. Then just make a lid somehow...Maybe I'll do this with my 4Runner since the bed is all torn up right now anyways.

I don't have a T100, my name is a reference the bad guy in Terminator 2.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here we go.

http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

This is what I had planned to do with mine, well sort of, and will probably go this route if I can ever afford a new truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
First gens with the top off will get you laid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_goat View Post
That's like replacing the dilithium crystals in your warp drive and forgetting to take them out of the foil wrapper.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post

that is nicely developed, and very workable...
but i like my empty bed for now..ive had to load it up a few times, luckily it stays empty.

if i were to sport a shell, that type of setup would be on my drafting board too.

good thing is you have a ton of options.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Saw this the other day while driving, thought aboot this thread so I snapped a pic. I doubt youll like it, cause i do think its ugly. But it is an idea. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Saw this the other day while driving, thought aboot this thread so I snapped a pic. I doubt youll like it, cause i do think its ugly. But it is an idea. Click the image to open in full size.
I always see that and think to myself "why not just get an SUV? a LARGE SUV" Look at all the wasted space above the bed he could be using.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

IDK wtf it is exactly, pull out, pop up, idk..But it itsnt a work truck and there was a family in there. Um, Maybe they didnt want a durango...Cant blame them.. ....

Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Mine (not a thing of beauty but does the job...)

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks for the pic scuba, that's definitely insane. Not quite what I am going for, haha.

Squiddy, that is almost exactly like what I'm planning building. Except I want to make mine weatherproof (as much as is possible for a wood box), fit it perfectly next to my cab, and spray it with something like gravelguard. Then add special compartments, line with polyester carpet, etc. But I like that box.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bed, bolt, box, build, camping, custom, pick, pull, rail, sotrage, storage, toyota, truck, wheel, wood, work