Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Custom Machining USA, 2.7 stroker opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Custom Machining USA, 2.7 stroker opinions

the link will take you to the short block info.
http://www.custommachiningusa.com/Engines.html

Due to recent California Emissions laws, a 7m or 3rz will not be legal to swap in as a Cali registered vehicle. The issues are have been stated that engine swaps can only take place with engines that come from similar vehicles. A car engine can only be swapped into a car and a truck engine only swapped into a truck. the other issue is the exhaust must stay on the same side of the vehicle as was stock, no cross over pipes are aloud any more.

I have a plan A. If plan A works out i will be able to swap in a 7m, as that would be my preference in swap choices.

Plan B is the custom machining 2.7 liter short block. Some of you may suggest 3.4, but that would require changing tranny and an adapter for the dual cases. Im just not feeling the 3.4, so keep it out of this one for now.

Now that the back ground is laid, my questions is. Some time back over a year ago. I stumbled across a member on YT that has this Custom Machining short block. That member mentioned that the only problem he had with it at the time, was the engine ran lean. The member put higher flow injectors on and the cured the problem. I have searched and searched and search and searched, looking for this post again. I would like to ask that member some questions about the experience with the 2.7 stroker and if it felt worth the price and effort.

any info. from fellow YTer's is welcome as well
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not true.

The 'apparent' rules suggest what you're claiming.

In reality, the engine must be either available as an optional engine on the vehicle installed or come from a newer vehicle. In either case, all emissions equipment from the 'donor' engine must be installed and functional, including EGR, etc. and corresponding engine controls (OBD II, etc.). Exhaust modifications can be allowed if they are necessary to facilitate the installation of the engine in the vehicle provided such modifications do not impair emissions controls.
In Cali, you can "legally" install just about any engine into any vehicle if it passes the most strict of either the donor or recipient. The problem is that there are only "so" many exemptions allowed per year. Contact the bureau of automotive repair about the referee program. They can even allow installation of such things as Chevy, or even Ford (cough) and Mopar engines... and maybe even Mercedes or VW diesel engines (hack, hack) in your 'yota.

Last edited by abecedarian; 03-12-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Ive read about what both of you are saying and am really unsure whats going to happen when i finally do take my truck in , I hope ABE is right but well see i guess.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 AM

well plan A it looking better at the moment. RMA if i work plan A. out ill let you know and you will have no problem
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
HAHA! living free in California, eh? Where a 3rz swap is illegal?

what was it about reap and sew?

Anywho... abecedarian, so the "it must come out of a newer vehicle" hole is closed up as well?

Jeezus... Petersens 4Wheel and Off-Road did it to Clampy... I guess they're going to jail now

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
the other issue is the exhaust must stay on the same side of the vehicle as was stock, no cross over pipes are aloud any more.
What a freaking joke... The state can't even pay it's bills and is pimping itself out to tourist $$ and congress has nothing better to do with tax payer money, than come up with gems like this?

Tax dollars: Hard at work.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-01-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: asteriskes arent good enough
Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
never mind...

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:20 PM

[off topic]

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
Due to recent California Emissions laws, a 7m or 3rz will not be legal to swap in as a Cali registered vehicle.
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Not true.
Dude, scared the crap out of me for a minute. 1.5 yrs ago I was supposed to take my 4runner in to the ref station for the final inspection (passed visual, failed emmissions, figured it out & needed to retest) but the ref stations all closed the day before my appt "due to ongoing budget problems." So I never got the sticker before I moved out of state, but now in a few months I'll be moving back again. Just glad I still have a shot at getting this legal

[/off topic]
Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont care if that company laced the block with freakin diamonds, I would NEVER buy that motor for ~$2,500+ considering it still uses stock crank, stock rods, and they put cast pistons in it! Not worth it. You can do all that, maybe minus the torque plate bore, all yourself for MUCH LESS. I kind of just laugh at this.

Nice post tho.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41 PM

And for anyone that is wondering, in California, you can swap almost any motor in to any car/truck AS LONG AS the new motor is of the SAME YEAR OR NEWER of the vehicle. For example, I can't legally swap in a 7M or a 1JZ into my 92, I would have to swap in a 92+ motor which would be a 2JZ. As long as you have all emissions, OBD setup, and factory everything, it is legal. You then have to get it ref'd.

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 03-13-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looked at the 22re stroker (2.7 liter) myself. Both custom machine and LCE just cost profibitive for me. Just another example of "you can spend as much as you like but in the end your still driving a 4cyl." Talked to some Celica guys that used the stroker and had the lean condition, they were at their wits end. But there's got to be a solution but as I mentioned its beyond my paygrade probably best to go with the swap, if you can legally.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a fan of a solid, stock 22re myself, it gets the job done.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hey so i got my sticker last friday , no problem !!!

engine has to be same year or newer and depending on the ref no modifications to the exhaust.

Really glad thats over with..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a 2.9l 4 cylinder from a Chevy Colorado...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Just another example of "you can spend as much as you like but in the end your still driving a 4cyl."

That depends on how how you take that statement...

Me, I'm sort of a survivalist, I have the mentality... Right off the bat I see more or less moving parts, with that argument.

I never take in what I can't take out... So I don't wheel with Ferd, Chevy and Dodge 1 ton 4WD trucks...

And I want the cheapest to operate vehicle my ass can fit the seat of...

Then there's parts, availability and aftermarket...

damn... All good reasons to buy a stroker kit... If the stocker won't do it for you...

Here's another.

"What is a stroker crankshaft? It's 5mm more stroke! (Thats 1/4 of an inch.) Usable power is what the stroker crank will give your engine. It increases the torque of the 22R engine as much as 30%. This means more pulling power for a 4x4 application or increased acceleration for your circle track car. Best yet, you can use this with any type of engine set-up, including the factory EFI system with no adverse side effects. High compression or low compression, we have the pistons to make the stroker crank work for your application. All stroker rotating assemblies come with H-beam connecting rods for maximum strength! "

What makes this cost prohibitive is those damn pistons....

What would be cool is if you could use this on a 80-83 22R and use 22RE pistons... Now THAT would be cool!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
i want a 2.9l 4 cylinder from a Chevy Colorado...
I thought the Colorado's are I5's?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
They have them with I-4's too.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM

I stand by what I said about being able to swap any engine into any chassis. The BAR discourages older engines into newer vehicles because that is generally a losing proposition with regards to emissions. However, the BAR / referee in conjunction with the DMV can change a chassis' designation and generate a VIN and re-classify a vehicle, which in turn allows the referee to certify any engine in any chassis. Due diligence on the part of the vehicle owner / builder getting the engine to pass emissions is a large consideration with regards to whether or not the BAR will do so. And as I mentioned above the number of vehicles eligible for this certification is limited annually.
This is related / analogous to "kit" cars and custom chassis situations- i.e. home built hot-rods. Many things are taken into consideration when re-classifying a vehicle: braking systems- are the brakes capable of performing comparable to the engine's ability; is the frame / body capable of protecting the occupants; is the suspension capable of operating in a manner consistant with the engine and braking systems' performance capabilities; the frame and body type; multiple inspections of the chassis are required to attain re-certification... the list is quite long.

I didn't say it was easy, just that it is possible.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman

Look up the bore and stroke on those things... It's killer... And they're "verio cam" like a Honda V-Tech, Porsche Verio-cam, and vvt-i on a Lexota... IS car...

Plus, if memory serves me, they have the load sensing fuel thing the Dodge car has... Where it shuts off an injector if it doesn't need it...

So that's, win win win...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-01-2010 at 07:22 AM.