Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Gauges and Cluster Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Gauges and Cluster Questions

Hello everyone,

I'd like some advice on a few things. I'm planning to install a Lc Engineering turbo kit on 22re with a gotpropane.com conversion. I own a 2wd 93 "sport" model pickup, which for some reason I don't know, came with a SR5 gauge cluster. I want to know if its possible to replace the oil, temp, volt, and fuel gauges with 2" aftermarket gauges, while keeping the stock speedo and tach, and not ruin any circuits to the various indicator lights at the bottom of the cluster?

The only gauge I really need to change is the fuel level gauge, because I will be running on propane. Ill be changing the other three gauges just so it looks symmetrical. My idea is to replace the fuel level gauge with a 100 psi electronic fuel pressure gauge, with the sending unit installed on the liquid line before the regulator that turns the liquid into gas. Do you think this would work? most of the time the gauge will be maxed out at 100 because liquid propane in a full tank is somewhere in the 140 to 180 psi range. Is it bad for the gauge to be maxed out most of the time? This gauge's purpose is to warn me when I will need to switch forklift tanks in the bed. A nearly empty tank should be around 60 psi.

If I have to replace all the gauges, I need to use a km/h speedometer. however, I cannot find any gauge sets that are stylish and offer metric and standard units in the same product range. But what I noticed though, is that some speedos are calibrated by driving a measured distance, pressing the "calibrate" button at the beginning and end of that distance. I think I've come up with a way to figure out what specific distance to drive to make the mph speedo think its going km/h.

1 mph is 1.6 km/h. Say the calibration distance for a particular brand is 1 mile. If I divide 1 mile by 1.6 i get 0.625 miles (3300 feet, or 1 km). Do you think if I calibrate at this distance I will basically make the gauge think 1 km/h equals 1 mph?

The other gauges I'm going to install are a boost gauge replacing the clock by the stereo, a narrow-band air fuel ratio meter for tuning the carb, and a pyrometer, so I know if my turbo is too hot to shut the engine off after hard use. Both those gauges will go into a custom a pillar mount that I can make from instructions out of a tuner magazine.

Really the point of spending so much and putting tons of effort into this future project is to simply make it look good. Down the road once I've built the truck into a weekend prerunner, it will get a nice custom interior. This will be a "fun truck," not a daily driver. It will serve a dual purpose in another way, merging two of my passions of off roading and truck shows. But just because it will be show-quality doesnt mean I'd be afraid to get it dirty, or risk wrecking it.