Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Custom Fenders

Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Fenders

Hi all,

Okay, so I've been searching a bit on custom fenders. I've gotten a lot of stuff showing Hanneman fenders and toyotafiberglass.com. Cool stuff there but the Hanneman webpage appears to be down.

Anyhow, what I'm searching for are some photos of 1st Gen 4Runners that have custom rear fenders/quarter panel treatments. A local shop around here made me an offer to do some "cool rear fender work with custom tubing where the quarter panel is rusted out" for an attractive price - $900.

Well, from the work the shop has done on Heep Cherokees, it looks like quality work, however, he didn't have any photos/rigs to show me what it would look like on a 4Runner. My gut tells me, "oh crap this is going to look like crap" just because I'm more of a "keep it stock" kind of guy. However, I know that doing the ToyotaFiberglass.com swap for the rear fenders would be awesome but a huge headache.

Anyhow, if anyone has photos of or knows of a website with decent photos of custom fender work, specifically rear fenders and quarter panels (there seem to be a lot of custom front fender photos available) it would be much appreciated.

Still searching...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Found this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-think-199834/

But mostly deals with the pickup.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Found this as well...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...enders-194465/

But it is for a 2nd Gen 4Runner...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 PM

I guess if someone had a photo of some custom tubing integrated into the fender/quarter panel I would be interested to see how it came out. Based off of the majority of the results I have found on Yotatech and the 'net, I think I'm going with ToyotaFiberglass.com for the stock look.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
From what ive herd toyotafiberglass is top notch, on his stite it shows how to install the rear 1/4s and it looks like a good weekend job.
ive been putting money aside for his rear 1/4s for my truck. so hopefully soon ill be rockin them.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
From what ive herd toyotafiberglass is top notch, on his stite it shows how to install the rear 1/4s and it looks like a good weekend job.
ive been putting money aside for his rear 1/4s for my truck. so hopefully soon ill be rockin them.
You know, I think you're right. I've been doin' quite a bit of searching for some custom fender/quarter panel work...but no luck. The few custom fender jobs that I've seen just don't cut the mustard for me. I'm a big fan of keeping things stock if possible.

Toyotafiberglass.com has some awesome looking stuff and it doesn't look too difficult. Although, bodywork is my downfall when it comes to working on vehicles.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply, looks like that may be my best option as of now.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No doubt, thats not my piece of cake either. But i do feel like it would be a easy task. I think cleaning up after taking off the old 1/4s will slow down your time depending how bad it is
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a photo somewhere (which I cannot find now, of course), of what a fellow did with a 1st gen runner. He welded tubing into the bottom perimeter of the body, including the fenders, and molded them in a little bit. It came out looking great. It only stuck out about an inch. Looked almost like a fender flare. I don't even remember if I found it here or pirate or ttora or....

Well that was pretty much worthless, wasn't it!

MC
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
I had a photo somewhere (which I cannot find now, of course), of what a fellow did with a 1st gen runner. He welded tubing into the bottom perimeter of the body, including the fenders, and molded them in a little bit. It came out looking great. It only stuck out about an inch. Looked almost like a fender flare. I don't even remember if I found it here or pirate or ttora or....

Well that was pretty much worthless, wasn't it!

MC
You know...under any other circumstances perhaps it may have been worthless...but the 16oz. Old Milwaukee says, "that was a lucid comment."

And I agree.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
hey guys ..
our 1/4rs are actually fairly easy to install .. infact the hardest part about the whole thing is getting them .. there is always a "line up" .
the website does have an install page , that should be helpfull , and i'm always avaliable for support if needed . we also have customers whom have never done any body work in there lives install there own panels .. just some basic tools and clamps .. air tools always always are a + ...

as for custom stuff .. we do have our custom 3" panels , and the cool thing about these if if your standing parrallel to the unit , you cant even tell it's flared . these are a bit more to install , but still not that difficult . heres another not yet up on the site ..

we're also going to be doing a NEW rear this summer .. now to match our our very popular hi-clearance fronts .. this will be a hi-clearance REAR , which will require modifications to the inner tub .. so this install will be a little more involved and welding will be required ..

hope that helps

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM

what is the name of that paint? i keep thinking of paint mine but can't figure out that color of green .
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM

dont know ... I didnt paint this one

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by yotarover
what is the name of that paint? i keep thinking of paint mine but can't figure out that color of green .
Kawasaki green?

Slacker - I've definitely been thinking about getting fiberglass panels for both front fenders and both rear fenders/quarter panels from you. Just have to wait around for a while until I get back from Afghanistan.

I looked at the install pages and they do look pretty easy to install. Looks really good too. I like the factory look. The flared panels are nice as well. Do you happen to manufacture the inner panels for the quarter panels as well?

Your products are at the top of my list right now. Trying not to get too crazy with modifications yet. Need to do some restoration work first.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 PM

I think the green is called, "blended Kermit"

MC
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JSimmons
Kawasaki green?

Slacker - I've definitely been thinking about getting fiberglass panels for both front fenders and both rear fenders/quarter panels from you. Just have to wait around for a while until I get back from Afghanistan.

I looked at the install pages and they do look pretty easy to install. Looks really good too. I like the factory look. The flared panels are nice as well. Do you happen to manufacture the inner panels for the quarter panels as well?

Your products are at the top of my list right now. Trying not to get too crazy with modifications yet. Need to do some restoration work first.

no problem ... stock pieces are pretty straight forward to install .. and like I said .. I'm here to help if you get stuck!!
if you are interested .. just give yourself plenty of time to receive them ..

no inners as of yet .. but one thing I for sure want to do ..

edit:: ohh .. and I wanted to mention .. these panels (front to back , including tailgate repair , and L trims) installed by the owner .. whom as of now .. has just done his FIRST body work project EVER !!

Last edited by slacker; 02-17-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM

I haven't seen a lot of tube work type fenders on this forum, but you can get a good idea of what they might look like by search for "tube fenders" on the jeep boards. Some are better than others, for sure. Another thing you might look at for ideas is the flat fender land cruisers in Australia. Try a search for those and I think that will get you an image closer to what you are thinking of.