Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cruise Control in my 87 SR5-5spd 22RE 4Runner wont engage....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cruise Control in my 87 SR5-5spd 22RE 4Runner wont engage....

I know this has been discussed a couple times, .....but I can't seem to find an answer that will solve my issue.

I'm also having trouble finding where in the FSM the Cruise Control Troubleshooting section might be(if there is one at all, lol)

Problem;

Cruise Control wont engage

I've noticed/checked;

1. My Diaphragm SEEMS to be ok in the booster
2. The light in the dash for Cruise lights up, fine
3. When I attempt to 'SET' the cruise speed(toward the driver according to the Drivers Handbook) on the wiper arm, it wont engage
4. When I flick the cruise control toward the dash, then backward, twice, toward myself, the cruise control "light" on the dash, near the main button, will 'FLASH', every second or so.

I will try anything, guys... just want to continue restoring my rig to where it's more and more like factory/plus plenty of extras I've added, of course, lol.

I'll post a pic of her for the heck of it, and my build thread is in my sig, for any who are interested in around 80 pages or more of reading! hahaha......

I will post a video asap of what I am finding/trying.

THANKS, GUYS!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chef, from what ive read on here, most of the time the cause of the cruise control not working is a hole in the diaphragm. I know there can be other things that go bad, but the diaphragm seems to be the most common. There was a thread here a while back on how to repair the diaphragm.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Hey bud, how you doing, man?

Yeah, I guess that's possible..... Any luck on that thread or maybe instructions on how to tear it apart? lol. I have plenty of Toyota FIPG, ya know? hahaha. I guess it's worth a try.... i would just hate to compromise a really good shape diaphragm BY tearing it down just to look, ya know? Guess 'without risk, no reward', right? lol

Someone said on my build that they might have a module... But another buddy of mine, a mechanic, said, "He's never seen one of those go bad".... He also said he's useless on the 'how to fix this' or 'what might the problem be',....so meh, lol. But at least he lent his 2cents, right? lol.

Any thoughts on the flashing cruise light?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can`t be of much help with your cruise control problem, ive never had a 1st gen toyota that had it. Im wondering if the blinking light on your cruise control might be blinking a trouble code, have you ever looked into that possibility ?.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Yeah, and the Haynes was useless..... the FSM? WHERE THE HELL IS THAT IN THERE? lol. I'm gonna dig again...but every time I open that file I get sucked in for HOURS and, sometimes, like now, when I'm REALLY busy,.... I can't seem to find it after hours of searching! GRRRR! lol.

I'll check again.

PS> It's only doing the blinking thing while it's Parked. I KNOW that the way to engage the cruise control is NOT what I'm doing to get the blinking going.... And to be honest, my buddy didn't know what that meant... He just remembered that clicking backward twice did something, and forward and backward twice did as well.... YEAH, IT BLINKS, which means nothing to me! hahahaha.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear Chef - and your Yota is looking - I must have missed the intake mods you made - looks sweet! Is that the Supra AFM in there??

My cruise still works on my 87, but more often than not (especially under any hills) it will kick off (light stays on, but cruise cuts out). wondering if mine may be on its way out (to what you're dealing with), so I'll keep an eye out on this thread.

Hope you find a solution soon, for both our sakes!

Phil
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah, strange that some still work, is what I'm thinking after reading yours! hahaha.

Wait, ...what year is your 1st gen again? (Sorry man, ...just INFO OVERLOAD lately! lol).... I ask because, maybe they changed them in 88-89, and one more question..... is that a 22re? Seems as though almost every single one that I've heard DOES still work is a 3.0.... Hmmm.

I hope to figure it out soon.... Kinda have to deal with my seat thread, too, cuz my driver seat took a caput! lol. TTysoon, LOVE it when you visit, homie! lol.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bought a 87 4Runner DLX late last year and this thing just has the cruise control laying in the engine bay. Does anyone with a working setup have any pics that can send on how it is supposed to look? I think this thing snakes it's way all the way across from Master Cylinder area to connect in throttle somehow, but I have seen anything I can make out on how it gets put together. I am interested to see if it even works! TIA