86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cross over re-route, good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cross over re-route, good idea?

So my headgasket went out on my 3.0/ 3VZE, and I would like to avoid replacing it again if I can. The gasket failed at the ever dependable #6 cylinder, and the consensus seems to be that that cylinder often fails do to excessive heat from the cross over pipe coming back into the drivers side manifold.

I was thinking of re-routing the cross over down along side the main exhaust and having it connect a little ways before the O2 sensor, and capping the manifold where cross over would normally connect. I was talking to a guy at a muffler shop where I went to get a piece of pipe and he thought this would mess up my back pressure, and it generally was not a good idea. I didn't think it would change much, aside from moving heat away from the #6 cylinder. So what do you think: cheap alternative to headers or a bad idea?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Wierd. camo31"10.50" is online and hasn't jumped on this yet?

Anyway, yeah it's been done. For exactly that reason. Very good idea, when executed properly.

"Mess up your back pressure"? Back pressure = BAD. You don't want that crap. The more you lose the better. FWIW, don't ask that guy for his opinion in the future, ON ANYTHING!

Here's a thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...or-diy-198561/

camo31"10.50" will be here shortly with his opinion/advice.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought before I went in, but he was making me think that it would some how unbalance the engine.

Thanks for the link, that is basically what I was hoping to do, but was going to route the pipe down next to the old one. I bent a piece of rebar in the shape of the pipe as template, any idea how much I should expect to pay for 3 foot piece of pipe with 3 bends at a muffler shop?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love how Mr. Mud mentioned me lol

i always try to find ways to save cash....and when people start talking about the crossover, SOMEONE always says GET HEADERS.....well it's alot cheaper and easier to do away with the crossover, rather than install a set of headers lmao.

i actually have a "custom exhaust" thread or somethin..i'll post a link if you want me to.

i used the flanges off of the stock crossover.

took the flange for the driverside of the crossover, had it capped off, now all ya needa do is put a gasket there, and bolt the flange to the DS manifold..and BOOM it's sealed off.

i left about 3" of the crossover attached to the passenger side flange....and you can rotate the flange a bit, and that will make that lil 3" piece point down.

if you can have your exhaust guy weld a piece of pipe (size depends on what you wanna pic) onto that will FOLLOW that angle..just have him tack it together in a couple places...that way the angle can be adjusted easily.

i got lucky and got the angle REAL close the first time, and i just heated mine up and bent it about 1.5".

i've got about 1100 miles on mine, and i can see no ill effects, mine will run like a raped ape especially between 3000-6000 rpms.

the exhaust guy that did mine kinda fudged up...he used 2" pipe for my crossover (i told him to use 2.25") so i'm now gonna take it to my other exhaust guy in my college town (lot better guys up there lol) and he's gonna fix me up for free as long as he isn't busy.

i agree Back pressure is bad. but we do need SOME.

you'll lose low end power if your exhaust is TOO free flowing, but you'll gain a lil(not much) up top.

2.25" seems to be the mean with everyone doing exhaust work on toyota's...remember its a LITTLE V6.

any questions, feel free to post up, PM me, or whatever!

Good Luck!

P.S. there's some pics in my exhaust thread, and if you need any more pics, i gotchya covered
Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM

down with the other pipe?

that's still going to have exhaust going behind the heads...that would just defeat the purpose in my eyes.

it's also alot easier to route it down the passenger side, and go ABOVE the front driveshaft, and underneath the tranny, it's perfectly protected there as well.

P.S. my 4runner has a 4" lift, im not sure if a stock height 4runner/pickup will have clearance issues or not.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM

I was thinking down the same side to avoid running the exhaust by all fuel lines and things on the passenger side, and that the heat at #6 is from the exhaust dumping into the drivers side manifold. But if that is not the case and there are not heat issues on the passenger side I might have to reconsider. Yours look good and functional, I might just copy yours.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM

i haven't had any issues so far, but if any happen to arise, then i can simply get like a starter blanket maybe, or some kinda of a heat shield goin