Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cranking 22RE wont start with end result posted!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranking 22RE wont start with end result posted!

Hello and thanks,
I have a 1986 4runner with a 22RE. Last week i was driving it and it nearly died on me in traffic. I was able to sputter over into a parking lot and turn it off. I started it back up and drove it home with no other issues. I hadnt put new spark plugs into it for about 1 year, and that is usually way past due for me so went and got some and an air filter. Put them in and the truck ran great all this week till yesterday. Same thing, sputtered and then stopped, but this time did not start again. What I have found out so far:
-motor cranks as normal
-I am getting spark at plugs
-I am getting good fuel pressure at the main line coming in (on top of EFI)
-Using a stethoscope I hear each injector ticking rythmically
-tried starter fluid at plenum
-tried advancing timing
-checked fuses
-checked for loose or damaged vacum lines
-half tank of gas

None of this has even given me a slight sign of wanting to fire up.

As a side note, both times it has decided to die it was fairly cold outside 30's but truck died several minutes into the drive, and I had been getting a gas smell in the cab a few weeks prior to the issue.

Thanks all, and Happy new Year!
Eric

Last edited by ehertz; 12-31-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Do you still have the smell of gas in your cab? Have you checked the fuel lines? Replaced the fuel filter lately by any chance?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Haven't smelled the gas in about 1 week. Also haven't replaced the filter in 2 years, but I am getting good fuel pressure or at least enough that I would think the truck would try to start.
Eric
Old 12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It should go bang on the starter fluid alone. My thinking is the distributor is not signalling the ecu to fire the plugs at the right time.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 PM

Ok, pulled a plug to inspect that the pistons were doing what they should. I was a bit concerned that I had a broken timing chain. Everything fine there. Went and got a new cap and rotor and installed...nothing still. So I figured I'm back at square one and I should retrace my steps. Before I got a bunch of fuel coming out of what I think is the cold start unit, its the hard gas line that is easily accessed on the very top of the EFI and has the brass crush washers. This time I disconnected the rubber line that is connected to the hardline that is attached to the passenger firewall. Got no gas here when I tried to crank. That led me to the gas tank hatch behind the passenger seat. Figuring the fuel pump may be bad I removed the two rubber lines at lead into the tank so I could pull up the pump slightly to put the stethoscope on it to see if it was working. When I had my helper turn the key the truck nearly started...I then stuck the pump back down into the gas and we tried again and it started with no problem. I am guessing that a line is clogged? And there was a pressure build up (vapor lock???) But at this point I am not sure. I plan to do a little.more research and will post again.
Eric

Last edited by ehertz; 12-31-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:21 PM

At the moment the truck runs and starts fine. Best I can tell the lines are clear. I have no idea what I did to make it suddenly start again, but because I didn't "fix" anything the problem is sure to crop up again. Anyone have any suggestions at what I might look at based on the information I have provided? I am going drive it tomorrow and see what happens.
Eric
Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You had air trapped in the lines. Your trick with the start injector got most of it out so gas could get in. That injector is activated by the key and a relay and a temperature sensor to avoid flooding out the engine. I'm surprised in all your turning of the key didn't do that for you. You should check that injector and the cold start circuit before thinking its all fixed.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM

This morning I took it for a test drive and.it died shortly into it. Opened up fuel pump hatch to inspect hoses for any holes. I then saw a break in the white (ground) wire on top of the pump. While cranking and jiggling the wire I got.the truck to start again. I got it home and removed the pump. I cleaned the contact area and soldered The wire back on to the terminal. I also tested the pump by running jumper cables from it to the battery. The pump ran smoothly.
I reinstalled the pump and then once again followed and inspected all the electrical and fuel lines from the tank back up to the motor. Everything looked good. Reconnected the battery and fired it up with no problems. I let it run for 15 minutes and then took it on a 15 minute test drive. Got it home.and let it run for an additional 20minutes. It didn't miss a beat, in fact this weird hesitation that the truck had developed is now gone as well. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Success. Happy New Year Yotatech!
Attached Thumbnails Cranking 22RE wont start with end result posted!-successimag0745-1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Ah! A happy ending! Good find!