Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cracked block or am I missing something?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked block or am I missing something?/EDIT:Didn't know about rear drain plugs.

Hi guys, been lurking around here for a while and I must say that this is a great community and very helpful. Now it's my turn to ask for a bit of advise. Although I'm sure you get tired of all the questions on the 3vze aka 3slow. So I'll try and be as concise as possible.

Details: '93 4runner, 3vze, 2wd, a/t, 176,000 mile and head work was done before I bought it.

Feel free to skip this paragraph as my real question is below. This is just the history. Got it with around 70k miles and it's been pretty reliable. Maintenance's been pretty regular but around 110k miles I had to replace radiator and it had bee ok till recently when it over heated again. No mixing of oil and H2O nor any signs of leakage (at first) but now it started to go through coolant. (Here's where I really screw things up. ) My commute to work isn't far so I forgo coolant just adding H2O figuring I'd get to it before it got bad. No such luck. It starts leaking (out of the back around heater hoses and a couple drain plugs as well) as it's filling. Note it still runs strong till it starts getting hot. So I start my tear down. I'd like to thank everyone that has posted progress through their own, very helpful.

Long story short. I tore it down, got it back together and it started up fine. Drove around the block and back into garage to find coolant leaking from back of engine. More specifically from the small breather hole? between the tranny and the block.

I've checked all hoses, the heads and drain plugs (tore it partially back down to do so, even pulled intake back off) but haven't found any signs of a leak other than where it's comming out the bottom. To be sure it wasn't running there from some where in front. (back end still sagging a bit) I drained the coolant down below the heads. Check the next morning and it's still leaking. Little slower but still a puddle. Opened it up at the thermo to drain to that level and it's still dripping as I type this. A drop about every 15 - 20 sec. I pulled the starter to find it appears damp on the housing behind the flywheel.

Question is it feasible for there to be a crack in the block that would leak coolant into the bellhousing at that level? Also I ordered a set of brass plugs but it came with 11 plugs and I could only find 9 plugs. Am I missing something here or did the guy throw in a couple extra? I don't really want to drop the tranny just confirm what I believe to be a cracked block. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation or something that I possibly missed.

Also if it is the block. I won't be putting the 3slow back in it, but I'll need to move it to do an engine swap. My dads is about 200 miles away up and over the grape vine. Think I could make it that far or at least half way. I got AAA extended tow good for up to 100 miles. Hehe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by l3fty; 08-14-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
woow, it sounds like it could be a ton of things. im no expert, but i do remember that if you get water on your engine when its hot, it will crack the block if you wash it or somethign (i wash my engine alot lol).
i feel bad that i cant help, and you have made it so easy to get an answer.

grape vine isnt too far from me.
if you find out how to get the 3.0 to a super fast, pleassseeee help me do it!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 AM

I have no idea, but I happen to have my engine on a stand here, so I'll see if I can remember to take a look at it when I get home form work today.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM

I think there might be 2 freeze plugs behind the flywheel
Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM

It sounds like one of the freeze plug behind the flywheel has a leak lots of labour to fix a part thats under a buck lol but yeah there should be 11 freeze plug 3 on each side 2 at teh back and 2 at the top where the knock sensor is
Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM

Ahh! OK well I guess that's good news.
Thanks guy, none of the references that I have acess to said anything about how many or where the plugs were.

I didin't see it posted anywhere here so if anyone needs a look at it here's the
1993 Factory Service Manual for Pick-ups and 4Runners:

Thanks again and i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OUCH--BIG OUCH--but a thought and or idea--

If and when you pull/reinstall the tranny--what about using some long studs bolted into the block to help glide it into place. Thats always seems to be the hard part for me when reinstalling the tranny--good luck
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Good tip hross14. I'll have to try that thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM

next time I have to install a tranny I am going to jack the tranny into place then roll the truck to the tranny.
when I did my clutch I also left the cross member on the tranny that way I did not jack it too high and it worked well for me.

when you are down there might think about replacing the rear main seal.