Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Couple/Few General questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Couple/Few General questions

It seems like everyone generally asked the same questions. Unfortunately after several SEARCH attempts none of them answered mine.

I have a few questions, basically its simple... I've been looking for the perfect mod(s) for my application. But not to go "fast" or for "sound" I already have a fast- gas guzzling, obnoxiously loud Trans Am. I don't need two.

It's a known fact that the 22RE is two things

One: They last for almost ever.
Two: They are gutless.

Both are just fine for me. I use my truck on a everyday bases and i pretty much tend to keep it that way. I want basic, simple modifications.
I would however love to get some input or suggestions on a couple different things I've been looking into. I'm basically looking for efficiency. An engine with good air flow and good exhaust always run better. Just maybe i can make it up the hills in 3rd with less of a struggle. (My gears are great for what i do)

Header: Long tube or Mid-length? (Its a completely bone stock 22RE)
* What brand would you guys recommend.

Electric fan conversion
: I figured with less drag on the engine, it could possibly help with the mpg + maybe a couple pony's.

Smaller pulley's:
* What brand, or what size?

Cold air intake:
*Brand?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you fix a mechanical speedometer? I've only dealt with electrical ones, which are a real simple fix. My truck at 70mph is off by about 10-12! I found that out the hard way too....

-I was also thinking of a small lift, maybe a 3inch. What do you guys generally pay for something like that?

Thanks for reading!

Heres she is:

Last edited by TWISTEDTA; 02-22-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I will only answer the questions I know.

Electric fan - Its really not worth it. The stock clutch fan setup is pretty good, an electric fan is just a waste.

Smaller pulley's - No, the little 22re won't handle that very well.

CAI - No, there is nothing in the market that can be considered a cold air intake - all of the boxless systems draw in air thats hotter then the stock airbox. Perhaps a nice filter and ISR mod, but thats about it. Don't expect any big gains.

If your speedo is off that bad, then you have over/under sized tires. I think you can get a gear to change it, but Im not 100% sure.

small lift - What kind of lift? Suspension or body?

THere is no suspension lifts that are 3" You can go from around 2" to 4" and thats about it. You can get a 3" body lift - mine cost 150 bucks CAD, they are available in the us for around 110.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The engine mods won't help you a ton, but if you are set on getting some, I've had good luck with my ceramic coated tri-Y from Downey.

As stated, the electric fan is going to be more money then the gains you see. Same for the small pulley's. Its not gonna be a big difference.

There is something really goofy with the speedometer to be off that much, as your picture shows a truck with pretty normal sized tires.

First off, how much do you know about the truck, and any PO "mods". There are different gears available to adjust for different gears and tire combos, are you sure that the PO didn't mess with that at all?

Second, though your tires look pretty close to stock sized, what size are they?

Also, is that a constant, or is it at 50 mph, or where? If its constant, its likely a broken/dirty component somewhere. If its variable, its likely tires/gears/etc...

A little more info, and hopefully it will get worked out.

Nice truck, BTW
Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

For the speedo thing, is it reading faster or slower?

perhaps your truck came with 28" tires and 4.10 gears - the tires you have on there now look around 30-31"
Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Jay351, Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate it

OK, so ill take your advise and scratch the electric fans, smaller pulley out of my mind.

The idea for the cold air intake off of LCE engineering. I'm not sure if it was actually a cold air intake or just an after market intake. I might have added the "Cold" in there.

As for the lift, I'm not sure. I'm very new to this truck thing since Ive been into sports cars most of my life... but I went to a local 4x4 store and they told me i had two option's, a 3inch or 6inch lift. The he proceeded to quote me over $1100 ... It just didn't sound right me . $150 sounds great . What brand would you recommend, where can i order it? I think id be happy with a two inch since i have 31 inch tires. Maybe anything taller would make them look funny.

AxleIke

My speedo, its not constant. Its gradually gets worse the faster i go. I have 31inch tires.
I'm not sure what "PO" means?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PO stands for "previous owner".

It sounds like your tires are larger than stock which would throw off your speedo. If that can be verified, I would say look into regearing for the tires as opposed to just trying to correct the speedo. Regearing would restore some performance too.

Frank
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

I dunno.

31" tires are 9% bigger than stock, which should be 225/75, on a 15" rim.

So, at 50 mph, his speedo should only be off by about 4-5 mph. In order to see 10-12, he'd have to be going over 100 mph. Either the speedo error has been exaggerated, or its something more.

TWISTEDTA, how did you verify the speedo readings? GPS? Radar sign?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I love my electric fan. But paid way less than retail. Yes I can tell a difference. IMHO well worth what I paid.

Thorley tri-y is what I've got, don't try Pacesetter I did first time.

K&N filter.

Might want to check your cat.

enjoy

regearing is the only thing I know to adjust speedo.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I dunno.

31" tires are 9% bigger than stock, which should be 225/75, on a 15" rim.

So, at 50 miles per hour, his speedo should only be off by about 4-5 miles per hour. In order to see 10-12, he'd have to be going over 100 miles per hour. Either the speedo error has been exaggerated, or its something more.

TWISTEDTA, how did you verify the speedo readings? GPS? Radar sign?
I didn't come up with the 10-12 mph difference, i was pulled over by a CHP for doing he said "85+mph" when my speedo was at around 75mph. So that's how i figured.

elripster,

Thanks for the definition. The truck is stock as far as i know besides the tires.

is it really that difficult to correct the mph on these truck? Id really hate to have to get new gears installed just to correct the speedometer lol... I'll just leave it
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Well, first of all, I think you are JUST fine.

I wouldn't go by what the cop said as your ACTUAL speed. You were probably going 81-83 ish.

I would just drive 5 mph under the limit according to your speedo. So, if the limit is 75, drive 70, and you should be pretty close. You can also get someone with a GPS to ride with you, and you can see your actual speed, so you know when to correct.

Basically, it will work out like this, from 0-40, keep the needle JUST under the posted limit. 50-80, keep it 5 under, maybe a little more than 5 under after 70. You should be fine.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Jay351, Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate it

OK, so ill take your advise and scratch the electric fans, smaller pulley out of my mind.

The idea for the cold air intake off of LCE engineering. I'm not sure if it was actually a cold air intake or just an after market intake. I might have added the "Cold" in there.

As for the lift, I'm not sure. I'm very new to this truck thing since Ive been into sports cars most of my life... but I went to a local 4x4 store and they told me i had two option's, a 3inch or 6inch lift. The he proceeded to quote me over $1100 ... It just didn't sound right me . $150 sounds great . What brand would you recommend, where can i order it? I think id be happy with a two inch since i have 31 inch tires. Maybe anything taller would make them look funny.

AxleIke

My speedo, its not constant. Its gradually gets worse the faster i go. I have 31inch tires.
I'm not sure what "PO" means?

Well, the 3" lift that im talking about is a body lift. Some people don't like them but I love mine. Easy lift, very cheap. I bought a performance accessories kit, pretty much because getting expensive things shipped over the border is a hassle.

4crawler.com makes a good kit, he is highly recomended by other members. I have not bought anything from him so I can't really comment on it.

Pretty much any online offroad retailer will have the performance accessories kit ( 2 or 3").
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Hey guys I really appreciate all the advise you guys have given me, I'm pretty sure i know what direction I'm going now with this truck

So any input on the headers? From what I'm looking to get out of the truck, do you guys recommend long tubes or shorty's?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Hey guys I really appreciate all the advise you guys have given me, I'm pretty sure i know what direction I'm going now with this truck

So any input on the headers? From what I'm looking to get out of the truck, do you guys recommend long tubes or shorty's?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Long tube headers, all the way. Shorter ones are typically easier to install, but long tubes are better.

BTW, what part of California is that?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Long tube headers, all the way. Shorter ones are typically easier to install, but long tubes are better.

BTW, what part of California is that?

Good, long tubes is what i wanted from the get go

I'm over in the bay area.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM

i'm a fan of my Thorley tri-Y. not all that expensive either.