Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

could retarded timing kill a knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could retarded timing kill a knock sensor

so i'm a complete moron and probably should be banned from tool use. i adjusted my timing the other day and i forgot to tighten the pinch bolt. i drove for about an hour or so on the highway, with pinging galore, but i just thought i had set the timing a little off, so i didn't think anything of it. about 45 minutes or so the check engine light went on. i got home and realized my mistake as, by then, the distributor cap had slid all the way down to the end of its guide on the pinch bolt. i fixed the timing and cleared the code, however, now after driving on the highway for 15 minutes or so, if i let 5th gear drop in RPMs, i get a check engine light for code 52 and 71. I'm not too sure if they are related at this point. The code 52 is for the knock sensor and the 71 is for the EGR.

- could i just have messed something up in the motor, so that pings/knocks a lot?

- can you wear out a knock sensor?

- why does this only come on in low rpms in 5th gear?

- other than the check engine light, the truck runs great, however it does ping on the highway a little depending on grade of gas and timing setup.

- anyone have any ideas other than me never touching a tool again?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I'm not entirely sure, but it seems possible the timing could have gotten off enough for a piston to hit a valve. Run a compression test.

As for the EGR, if a valve did bend, it could be related.

The way the EGR valve works is partly on backpressure under certain load conditions. The vacuum modulator relies on that backpressure to operate thereby allowing vacuum to open the valve. Run an advanced search on EGR with my username. I have a short thread posted with a link on exactly it operates. That will explain that.

As for the KS, I don't know if you can just wear them out like that/get damaged from knock. Doesn't seem like it to me, but I don't know everything and could be entirely wrong...lol!

So, where do you have the timing set at now?

Oh, and check your plugs for damage.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Having the timing that far off, the engine would have tried to adjust for it. Thus, when you set it back correctly, the ECU didn't think it was correct. Reset the ECU, and try again.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Right.....there's that, too.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Well, I'm not entirely sure, but it seems possible the timing could have gotten off enough for a piston to hit a valve. Run a compression test.
Dude, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one. Bear with me because I'm a bit slow at times. How does changing ignition timing bend valves?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Staff

Ignition timing cannot do that. Only cam timing can
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Well, like I said, I'm not entirely sure. <<<<disclaimer!!!...

But, if the ignition timing is out far enough on a 22re, they are interference engines and the pistons can hit the valves. Driving around with detonation can do damage. I guess it depends on the extent of the conditions, though.

I don't know....I was grabbing at possiblities and that one was off the top of my head...lol! A compression test is simple and free (well, if you have the tool), so I figure it wouldn't hurt. If all's good, then he could move on. If he found a problem...even if not related to the current issue...the bright side is it could be taken care of. However, he did say it was running good otherwise, so it's probably just fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Ignition timing cannot do that. Only cam timing can
Oh really? Hmmm....well, I guess I oughtta take my self proclaimed expert diploma off the wall...lol!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Seriously, though, I thought it could. Still, how does the ignition timing relate to detonation damage and what all damage can that do? I can be a bit slow, too...

Last edited by thook; 07-08-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ignition timing can't cause the piston to hit the valves. Period.

The knock sensor isn't going to wear out because of knocking. You'll burn a hole thru the piston long before you kill the knock sensor.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM

My bad........I know. But, could anyone e'splain more about detonation? I suppose I could just google it.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 AM

thook- I think you just confused ignition timing with valve timing...momentarily.

I'm sure everything is back to normal now, but what do I know? I missed the disclaimer completely!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM

No zlathim...I didn't. I'm just confused in general. Atleast, today I am. Didn't sleep well, so I'm pushing through the fog that was once a brain...hehe.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Staff

Oh really? Hmmm....well, I guess I oughtta take my self proclaimed expert diploma off the wall...lol!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Seriously, though, I thought it could. Still, how does the ignition timing relate to detonation damage and what all damage can that do? I can be a bit slow, too...
Ignition timing causes the engine to fire before, on, or after TDC in the engine. If you have the engine firing too soon, you cause detonation ie Pinging. Its firing before the piston gets back to TDC. Engines run best at stock timing (ie 5 degrees BTDC) but will make the most power somewhere near 10-12 degrees BTDC.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 AM

No zlathim...I didn't. I'm just confused in general. Atleast, today I am. Didn't sleep well, so I'm pushing through the fog that was once a brain...hehe.
OK, today you get a free pass. I have young kids, so I know all about sleep deprivation!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by zlathim
OK, today you get a free pass. I have young kids, so I know all about sleep deprivation!
I feel the pain....except I don't have children, I have race cars
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Alright, i have reset my timing to 5* while the check connector is jumped and reset the ECU. however, the light came back on again while on the highway in low RPMs in 5th gear. i'll make sure im still getting the code 52, but i'm fairly sure i am because there is still a decent amount of pinging. i'm running 89 in this tank. i think i might just need to replace my knock sensor or wire.

Last edited by skinnyhb; 07-08-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM

And, fortunately that's easy enough on the 22re. Heaven help you if you had the 3.0.....
Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

i just unplug it and unbolt it from the engine housing through the passenger fender well correct?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I hope that the detonation and heat didn't burn up some valves....
Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure your EGR is working properly? It can cause engine ping.

Quick Reply: could retarded timing kill a knock sensor