Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant in my oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant in my oil

Hi All
95 22re 4wd xcab p/u 154k. New shocks, bedsides & fenders. Oil has coolant in it, No smoke/steam. It did get hot... Should have done a timing chain, but didn't... Whats the best approach to diagnosing this? Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM

sounds like you may have warped the head. I'd take the head off and check and see if it's warped using a straight edge. check down both sides as well as corner to corner. if there's any space under your straight edge, it's warped. take it to a descent machine shop and it machined down so it's all better.

Or just buy a new truck.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ould be a headgasket in that case not to bad really. Can be done in a matter of a few hours if you have the tools
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

timing cover, drivers side look for grooves where the chain has worn through the water jacket letting coolant into the oil.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM

i say blown headgasket. get a microscope and pull the spark plugs and see if the piston is clean or look for coolant on top of the piston
Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure it's not oil in your coolant?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
are you sure it's not oil in your coolant?
Right it's coolant in the crankcase oil. Drained the crankcase yesterday.
So I should start by removing the valve cover and proceeding with a timing chain inspection and replacement. If I find the water jacket is worn through, should I leave the head alone? Also as I will have things pretty well disassembled what other parts make sense to be swapped out at this opportunity?
New truck is appealing. Though I just put about 2k into the bedsides, fenders, shocks and bumpers..and front calipers.This truck has been a super runner and I thought it was well worth the investment in the body parts, i would like to keep the drive train going too :o)

Last edited by merk; 09-01-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 AM

Did a compression test and all 4 cycl have good comp. I'll get the valve cover off tonight.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Merk...

watching....same thing here, waiting for $$$$ to do this the right way.....take LOTS and LOTS of pictures and post them....have yet to do a repair like this so I'm watching an in-depth step by step 1-thread write-up.

there are plenty of threads here with 22re rebuilds.....most recently that i can recall are ......
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-181237/

and

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...begins-185041/

These are the 2 best write-ups i've seen, i'm certain there are others, but these are the 2 most recent i've come across.

Being an amateur(me), it's intimidating to contemplate digging in.........when you do, list any special tools you may need and steps you've taken to get where you are.

Mostly, welcome to YOTATECH !!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I usually spend most of my forum time on the VW TDI forum, chasing problems on my lemonesque 03 jetta tdi. A great car, 46mpg, but very needy. My yota p/u has been a super reliable longterm tried and true toyota. Uses no oil and I just put 2k rebuilding the bed, fenders, bumpers and shocks......So I'm glad to be here, sort of... Last night I flushed the motor to remove the very thick coolant oil mix. I got a cheapo filter and oil and a can of seafoam, ran it for a few minutes and drained it. This will be one of my more complicated forrays into motor work myself. I've done brakes, shocks, struts, alternators, starters, brakelines, fuel related stuff, etc....I shyed away from doing the jettas brakebooster and timing belt, so this ought to be a good one. Dealer wants 1100 for a timing chain job.
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Merk...

watching....same thing here, waiting for $$$$ to do this the right way.....take LOTS and LOTS of pictures and post them....have yet to do a repair like this so I'm watching an in-depth step by step 1-thread write-up.

there are plenty of threads here with 22re rebuilds.....most recently that i can recall are ......
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-181237/

and

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...begins-185041/

These are the 2 best write-ups i've seen, i'm certain there are others, but these are the 2 most recent i've come across.

Being an amateur(me), it's intimidating to contemplate digging in.........when you do, list any special tools you may need and steps you've taken to get where you are.

Mostly, welcome to YOTATECH !!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 AM

sounds like you have the skills.

i may be wrong, but isn't doing the head LESS work than timing chain ?

anyway....mine's parked for the last month....waiting for $$$$ to start amassing parts.....in no real hurry except for winter coming.

i don't think you could out-do those 2 threads but for a newbie like me (new to engine work....i've had my 92 for alll of it's 18 years and every one of it's 193,000 miles)...i would welcome a step-by-step breakdown of the procedure without having to search all around for each and every nuance.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM

sounds like you have the skills.
i may be wrong, but isn't doing the head LESS work than timing chain ?
Perhaps it is less work, but in my case, my timing chain probably is the problem...I'm leaning towards the timing chain being stretched and the drivers side guide gone and wearing throught the TC cover and allowing coolant into my crankcase. I'm really hoping that my head gasket has held it's seal. Not sure if the compression test proves that out or not, but I'm thinking that it is a good sign that it hasn't been compromised. I'll know more once I'm under the valve cover.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:02 AM

is it not true that to do the timing chain cover that you have to take the head off?? that was what it looked like in my service manual.........likewise, is it a compression test that can differentiate between headgasket failure and timing chain cover failure.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

is it not true that to do the timing chain cover that you have to take the head off?? that was what it looked like in my service manual.........likewise, is it a compression test that can differentiate between headgasket failure and timing chain cover failure.
I have a writeup on how to do the TC leaving the head on and I'm not certain what the compression test tells me with regard to the health of my head gasket other than if there is a problem with it, it isn't at a cylinder, but it could have a problem between a water channel and an oil channel. I'm not really sure.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a good compression test and the numbers are +or- 5-10, then you should be fine. You can take the the chain cover with out taking the heads off the trick is to take the oil pan bolts off or loose. Then the cover can come off without taking the head off. But if you do take the head off be sure to put all new gaskets there.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by yodathespian87
If you have a good compression test and the numbers are +or- 5-10, then you should be fine. You can take the the chain cover with out taking the heads off the trick is to take the oil pan bolts off or loose. Then the cover can come off without taking the head off. But if you do take the head off be sure to put all new gaskets there.
I will replace all the gaskets I come in contact with. What else ought to be changed out while I'm doing the TC kit? 150k on the truck.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 AM

.i've had my 92 for alll of it's 18 years
Math? That would be 17 years..... I was born in 90 and will be turning 19.....lol.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 AM

bought it October of 1991 (1992 model).....so it is 2 months shy of 18.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM

Got under the valve cover last night and found no drivers side guide and 2 chain grooves running down the drivers side and the chain was quite sloppy loose. Will dig deeper this weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM

yes i think that was my problem too.......could you post how you even got to that point?

i don't want to sound too rookie-ish but i'd like a concise set of how-to's for this repair.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolant in my oil