86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

coolant leak, water pump pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant leak, water pump pulley

I'm a relatively new member so, bear with me!

It's an 86 4wd with 22rec. I bought it last summer and, according to the previous owner, motor was rebuilt within 10k miles before I bought the rig.

I've been noticing, for some time, a substantial amount of liquid residue splashed around the underside of the motor, but could not tell from where it was originating. The fluid was sort of amber in color, checked and the oil levels were normal...a mystery.

I noticed yesterday that the coolant reserve tank was completely empty. I thought this was odd so I opened the radiator cap (engine completely cool) and it also appeared empty of coolant. I picked up some 50/50 and filled the radiator and reserve up to normal levels and fired up the truck. Watching the motor as I revved up the throttle, I noticed some minute droplets of fluid spraying from around the water pump pulley (with increased intensity at higher rpms).

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem? From exactly where could this leak be originating? How to approach fixing the problem?

I'll have pictures as soon as possible, perhaps a video would portray the issue more clearly...

Thanks for reading! Double thanks for responding!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM

correction: the fluid is spraying from the crankshaft pulley, and there does appear to be an oil leak coming from around the oil pan as well...ugh, i have also noticed that one of the bolts behind the crankshaft pulley assembly is loose...no telling how long that's been loose. maybe if it's tightened, the leak will seal?

ohhh man.

should have pictures tomorrow

Last edited by element138; 10-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
sounds like the front main seal is leaking on the oil pump

easy fix. new seal is maybe $7-$8. remove the belts, pull the crank pulley off (that may be the hardest part...), pop the old seal out with a flathead screwdiver, pop the new seal in place and tap it in with a rubber mallet around the edges, dab a little oil around the inside of the new seal (don't want to run it dry), put the crank pulley back on, reinstall the belts, and you're good for another 200k miles it might make things easier to remove the fan, fan shroud, and possibly the radiator too, but it's not completely necessary

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Be careful removing the old seal that you don't mark the crank where the seal runs or the new seal won't seal and/or last
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Slowey23
Be careful removing the old seal that you don't mark the crank where the seal runs or the new seal won't seal and/or last
the seal doesn't ride on the crank, it rides on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley

depending on how bad the seal got though, if it got to the point where the spiral spring inside the seal was grinding on the pulley, then it may have gouged up the pulley where the seal rides, in which case you'll need to put a seal repair kit on it, which basically gives the seal a new surface to ride on on the pulley

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
sounds like the front main seal is leaking on the oil pump

easy fix. new seal is maybe $7-$8. remove the belts, pull the crank pulley off (that may be the hardest part...), pop the old seal out with a flathead screwdiver, pop the new seal in place and tap it in with a rubber mallet around the edges, dab a little oil around the inside of the new seal (don't want to run it dry), put the crank pulley back on, reinstall the belts, and you're good for another 200k miles it might make things easier to remove the fan, fan shroud, and possibly the radiator too, but it's not completely necessary

Hey Super, the OP may have a bad crank seal but that doesn't explain the loss of coolant.

We need the OP to state whether this phantom fluid is in fact oil and not coolant. Or oil from around the pan to timing cover mating area after a previous mechanic botched a timing chain assembly.

I think the OP mentioned something about video. That would be awesome.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having that video or even pictures would be a big help.

If it is in fact coolant from your water pump, on the underside of the water pump where the pully shaft enters the water pump there should be a small hole. If the coolant is coming out of this hole...you need to change your water pump. When the bearing goes bad inside the pump it will rupture a small seal inside of that hole and will cause it to slowly leak coolant, letting you know your water pump is in poor shape.

Also, having a leak in your cooling system will not allow it to pressure up properly and therefore not cool properly.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

this is true, but he did mention an oil leak as well. and the two leaks may very well have nothing to do with each other. the water pump could also just be bad and be seeping water through the weep hole. after all, that's what the weep hole is designed to do when the seal fails on the water pump; leak
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM

Talking

Wow! thanks for the attention to this! I'm going to take pictures, maybe video tomorrow if I can take the morning off...

this pic from the FSM points out the bolt which came loose...

I'm of the mind that, while i have a problem in front of me, do a sweep of other future issues...would anyone advise that I go ahead and pull off the chain cover assembly, replace the oil and water pumps, new gaskets everywhere? (and anything else while I'm in there?)

...proper photos pending...

Last edited by element138; 10-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going that far consider replacing the timing chain and guides too.

Have you looked into the timing chain area with valve cover removed to see if the guides are still there?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 AM

Have you looked into the timing chain area with valve cover removed to see if the guides are still there?
I have not opened anything up yet, truck's my daily driver and, with the girlfriend's rig in the transmission shop, I'm doing the driving for both of us (4 jobs and fulltime student!).

I'll be home in a bit and we'll take a look at some video/photos...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM

ok...so I can see a drooling of oil coming from the oil pump area. does this confirm earlier suspicions? the fluid spraying is definitely oil...after topping off the coolant, it does seem to be disappearing slowly. SO: main seal and oil/water pumps seem to be in need of replacing.

took the video, will have on youtube and link in a few hours
Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

sorry about the watermark on the video...

see the dribble of oil? the drops seem to end up on the pulley and are splashed around...

engnbldr just quoted me for timing cover, chain, water pump and oil pump with some gaskets. Might be a party!

beer and buildin
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Go to ebay and search "engnbldr fek"...front end kit.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it just me or does this thing sound like a diesel?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Just watched your video.

Yes it sounds like a diesel, but what 22RE doesn't? Sounds pretty rough though.

Looks like the bolt that goes through the top of the oil pump, through the timing cover, and into the block, is leaking. This could be why you're leaking oil, and possibly also the coolant leak source.

Hard to tell 100% if it's that bolt, since the watermark is in the way, but that's my guess.

I think it's the one here, right above the oil pump, with no label:

If it were me, I'd drain everything, and replace the the timing chain, cover, waterpump (ENGNBLDR FEK ebay search I mentioned above), and do the front main seal while you're at it.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM

Just talked to engnbldr rep and ordered everything...

5-7 business days, $149.90, hell yes!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Yeah, great pricing

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM

got the parts!
-Timing chain with the steel guides
-Timing chain cover
-oil pump
-water pump

also picked up new gaskets for the valve cover and oil pan (which I'll be taking off while in there)

How much time should I (a moderate novice) give myself to complete this job? and is there anything I might need(other than coolant and oil)?

probably starting on saturday or sunday.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM

OK! so it is ALMOST back together...I'm trying to torque down that hellish bolt everyone knows about! 130lbs is the spec i've found and my problem is this: It's an automatic! I can't put it into gear to stop the motor from turning when I crank the T-wrench and I'm concerned that jamming something in the crankshaft sprocket will mash up some part of the rocker arm assembly!

How do I go about freezing up the motor while trying to torque this thing out??
Help me!

thanks!

Last edited by element138; 11-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: coolant leak, water pump pulley