86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Complying with Cali Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complying with Cali Emissions

To start off thank you to everyone who has posted on other topics and kept me from pulling my hair out while working on my own Toyota.

I have an 1988 pickup, 22RE 4X4.

Now, living in Georgia I do not have any emissions requirements due to its age. Well me with all my wisdom took a job in the heaviest emissions regulated state, California.

The head Gasket blew so I decided to go ahead and do a full rebuild in the couple of months while waiting to receive my paperwork for the job out there. Since the engine will be out of the truck I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and attach all of the emissions components and run all of the vacuum lines needed. So my question is, what all do I need besides the EGR and standard emissions equipment to attempt to make it compliant?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You need all the "standard, factory" emissions equipment. The visual inspection includes:
PCV
Catalytic Converter
EGR
Fuel Cap (working)
Spark Controls
Evap system
PAIR (air injection)
all the sensor vacuum lines (as shown on the hood sticker)
ignition timing (per sticker)
sensor wiring
CEL working, and no codes stored
O2 Sensor

You'll have all of this (even if the truck was initially sold outside of CA), unless it was removed. The harder part (for most people) is the emissions test. The good news is that your truck will be running best when it is in compliance; particularly for an older vehicle (looser standards), failing smog means your truck is running like crap.

Welcome to the Golden State!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As I understand it, a cheap aftermarket catalytic converter will not pass the test and from what I have seen most catalytic converters around here are original and not much left inside of them. Basically all the materials are burnt up and just a shell. On an 88 there is no down stream O2 sensor so it will not throw a check engine code.

Emissions test do give you an idea of what is not running correctly. I dont have emissions test so it is more a guess for me. Emissions test are all bad.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Passed Cali emissions today after installing an aftermarket. Magnaflow, magnafail, whatever people call depending on their experience. How long it lasts, time and proper maintenance will tell. But with a 5 yr warranty, I'm happy and hopeful. There are cheaper types out there, but the CARB standards are so strict, it's a dent in the bank account still. But way cheaper than OEM. Less precious metals in comparison.

But then again, I have a 3rd gen. So cool to see 1st and 2nd gens still running around!