Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Completely LOST Transmission giving me HELLO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completely LOST Transmission giving me HELLO!

Ok first things first..Hi the names Josh. I understand I'm a NOOB and this is my first post but I've been on this site for about 3 hours straight before I signed up and decided to start my own thread. I can tell already that I will be using this site quite frequently. Loving it so far. SO I will finish my profile later...right now I'm quite focused on fixing this truck...

Situation: 93 4 runner V6 3.0 or 3.slow as I've come to notice most call it. 167,000 miles just got it yesterday. FREE! Its in awesome shape to be free and at such an age..anyways...problem is its very sluggish taking off. I mean like 2 mph sluggish...but once it works through the gears it starts going pretty good until you come to any hill...then it wants to drop down a gear and hit 4,000 rpms to climb that hill..and driving around 65 mph its running around 2,700 rmps...(is this normal?)

Ok now my biggest problem...the O/D light is constantly blinking...I've jumped the ports off and got the codes which are 61 and 62 which come down to being #2 vehicle speed sensor and #1 solenoid....Ok cool I can fix that...if only I knew where they were on the vehicle....I got a manual...doesn't really show where they are. I have no idea which engine I have since the label is ripped off under the hood...so I don't know which transmission it is...can someone PLEASE get me started off on the right track...I've went here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/autotrans.html and printed out every transmission diagram that shows where those sensors/solenoids are and when I crawl under the truck...either someone messed up the diagrams or I'm just not seeing the type of sensors/solenoids they are describing in those diagrams...

PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I've done a little bit further investigating of the truck...turns out back when whoever else owned the truck it caught fire! HOLY Crap...anyways I didnt really find the sensors or solenoids i was looking for..however I did find a wiring harness coming from the top of the tranny running on the passenger side and going up into the truck near the front passenger fender well...that harness is completely melted and about 10-15 naked wires all over the place...I'm not too familiar with wiring I mean I get the concept but I'm no professional...so I might end up having to pay for this truck some...Unless...

it seems the only problem those naked wires are causing is the two sensors...and possibly the speedometer cause it goes in and out of working operation...Is there a way to by pass those two sensors to fake the ECM to believing all is well and tranny shift right? I believe the truck is starting out in 3rd or O/D...I can manually shift down to L1 but shifting up to L2 lugs it down seems like it skips directly to 3 even in L2...(is that possible?) Anyways...is there a way to fix this situation without having to rewires those sensors in? Not really going to use the truck as an everyday driver...but I would like to drive it quite frequently without destroying my wallet in gas expenses.