Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Colorado Trip advise,where to go?What to bring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Trip advise,where to go?What to bring?

A friend and I are wanting to take a trip to Colorado. We want to drive,not fly,not tow, our rigs out and we want to do a little wheeling, alot of campinand just do some exploring.We don't want to rock crawl or anything like that.We would like to go on as many fun trails as possible,ans see as many "cool" ghost towns,mining towns,land marks exc...
I'm finishing up my dual cases,and my goals are to have on board air and a GPS by the trip.
What would you guys recommend for this trip?Where should we visit? What should we bring?
We have just started planning this,so any imput would be great.We are planning going sometime from late July to early August. We will go for around 1 to 2 weeks.
I'll be taking the (89 4runner 4cyl)dual cases,4.88 gears Detroit lockers front and rear,35's,4 suspension,3in body,winch,cruise control haha cruise control,but seriously.
My friend has a 97 TJ with a 4in long arm soon to have 2in coil spacers,and 35s. Detroit true trac rear with 4.88s front and rear.He unfortunately only has a 4cyl. He will deffinantly be making me drive slower than my cruise control should be set at.haha.
Any help would be apreciated and I know I shouldn't let my friend drive a Jeep.......
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM

The Redcone/Webster pass area is pretty nice. It's only a couple hours outside of Denver. Mild, wheeling surrounds Redcone, which is more difficult. BLM land is everywhere so you can camp cost free. However, I'm not so sure your going to be doing much wheeling in the very near future. Winter is upon us, and it will be impossible to do anything up there till next year. You can pick up a Topo atlas and find some pretty good areas up there! Have fun!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

when are we talkin about? some of the higher passes are already getting closed for the season.

if you were to hit us up around late june, you would have everything to your disposal.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM

We are planning on late July or early August. Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Not much else I can add, but yeah, don't plan on anything until around June. Can't do much from now til then. West, to SWest of Denver is where you wana go though.. Argentine pass & Spring Creek is nice too.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jagger_snitt
We are planning going sometime from late July to early August.
That is a great time to go, everything should be open then barring mud slide closures. I'd highly recommend staying in or around Ouray, it has many old mining trails that start just outside town with lots of ghost towns and some of the best scenery this side of Switzerland.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Nice guys that is what I wanted to hear!! We are getting pumped!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 AM

I've personally never been in or around the Ouray or Durango area and I heard it's really down there. I guess I'll have to make a prospecting trip next year!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

I've never camped at Ouray but there is a KOA (800-562-8026) near the hot springs pool.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM

If you have the time head to Ouray. It's known as the Switzerland of the US. There are a plethora of trails for different levels of offroad abilities. Try Yankee Boy Basin for starters; It's more of a trail head that will take you to various other trails. Engineer Pass is awesome, but be smart and bring emergency tools and extra gear for incliment weather.

I took my stock Tacoma out there a few years back. I was told I needed more lift/bigger tires and I was completely happy with how the truck performed.

The entire SW area of CO is awesome for a two-week trip. Durango is about
2-hours south of Ouray. Telluride is reachable by Black Bear Pass (be careful), Mesa Verde is really cool, just west of Durango towards Cortez.

Just Google Ouray and check it out, you'll love it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouray would be good, but by the time you drive there from TN, you may as well go to Moab.

The area near Denver would probably give you an extra 2 days 'wheeling versus "commuting".

There are a bunch of trails in Summit County. A couple good resources are www.4x4trails.net and www.traildamage.com

Some ones to look at:
- Argentine Pass
- Guanella Pass
- Webster Pass
- Redcone
- Spring Creek
- Bill Moore Lake
- Fall River Rd
- Yankee Hill

Also, you should look at trails around Aspen:
- Pearl Pass
- Taylor Pass
- Express Creek
- Montezuma

As your plans firm up, post up on here and www.cottora.org, and I'm sure there will be people available to show you around!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 AM

your going with steven arent you?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to what to bring - high altitude 'wheeling is a little different than your normal trip. I know this doesn't sound right, but it really CAN be a life/death situation.

In addition to the usual spare parts, etc. You MUST bring water and sleeping bags. If a storm moves in, you could be trapped up there a while - snow at these elevations (10,000+ ft) in June/July is not unheard of.

Cell service is not great in these areas either, and you may be too remote even for CB. If it's just going to be you two, a 2M setup would be a really good idea, otherwise I would try to get a larger group. (which is where YT and COTTORA fit in)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Another bump for Ouray. Simply cannot be beat. I do not suggest Moab at that time of year. It is just miserable.

Bring clothing for hot temperatures, (shorts, etc...), as well as blizzard clothing. I have been up in the high country, climb out of my tent to 75 degree morning, start hiking, and by 1 pm, I am in a down parka, hat, gloves, my wool pants, and the temp is right at about 20. By 5 pm, it is back in the 60's and sunny. Colorado can go from hot to snow in less than an hour.

Also, let us know if you'd like company. I would LOVE to get down there for camping, and I know a lot of others here would too. Give you some extra security if you break down too.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kcrunner
Telluride is reachable by Black Bear Pass (be careful)
X2, here's a view of Telluride from Black Bear.

You can also get to Telluride by Imogene pass:
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

i will tell you right now what to bring. ME! Please bring me. i know colorado like the back of my hand(he is lying, he just reads alot). i am a great camp bitc* a super cook. what? no. ok. i understand. no. i am not a girl. have a good trip and remember. take some pics. ouray. no words do it justice.

Last edited by TORTIS; 10-16-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc

The area near Denver would probably give you an extra 2 days 'wheeling versus "commuting".
That depends on if he's going to go on I-70 or I-40. For us guys in the south coming off I-40 and up through Santa Fe and Durango it isn't bad.

Originally Posted by tc

As your plans firm up, post up on here and www.cottora.org, and I'm sure there will be people available to show you around!
Yeah I'm planning at least 2 trips to Colo next summer.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Ric
tortis,
come on up, we`ll hit a few trails
i usually come up at least twice a year to visit family in Loveland, but they wanted a change of scenery and moved to Kansas. my last trip i came up thru Ouray to I-70, cut up to Rocky Mountain National Park, and then over to Wray CO. to visit my grandfather. you guys who live in Colorado are in Gods country for sure. i have tried to get the wife to move, but she won't do it, to scared of the unknown, something about not wanting to live under a bridge till we found jobs. i will take you up on that offer one day.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=tc;50641142]Ouray would be good, but by the time you drive there from TN, you may as well go to Moab.

Moab is a blast for sure, but there is absolutely no comparison between the two. When you pull into Ouray for the first time you drop like two loads in your pants. From both sides.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=kcrunner;50641342]
Originally Posted by tc
Ouray would be good, but by the time you drive there from TN, you may as well go to Moab.

Moab is a blast for sure, but there is absolutely no comparison between the two. When you pull into Ouray for the first time you drop like two loads in your pants. From both sides.
and want to move there. going thru ouray and in to the mountains(south) just a mile out of town there is a torrent of water crashing down the mountain and goes under the road, only to explode out the other side. freaking beautiful, and deafening. i gotta move to colorado.

Last edited by TORTIS; 10-16-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip advise,where to go?What to bring?