86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

coldstart /electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coldstart /electrical problem?

I have an 89 runner 22re.sometimes I don't have fuel and temp gauge after I turn on my rig.sometimes I turn the key and have no power to anything and of course won't turn the starter.What's weird is if I disconnect the battery for a second and try again she lights up the dash turns and starts.I know something isn't completing the circuit because when it's cold it isn't kicking the coldstart injector in either.the injector tested 2ohms so it's out of spec and I have one on order.I was also wondering if someone knows where the timing switch is for the injector. and has anyone had these electrical problems solved by replacing the switch that's by the tumbler in the column?I don't seem to have any blown fuses.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 PM

have I stumped everyone?sorry guys.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground frankly. Clean your battery terminals, then find all the ground straps and sand them clean.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:26 PM

I doubt it's the grounds I just finished a complete rebuild. I'll test continuity to ground in a couple places and see if there are any variances in the readings.let me know if anything else comes to mind though.thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Nevermind...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tnactsuj
I have an 89 runner 22re.sometimes I don't have fuel and temp gauge after I turn on my rig.sometimes I turn the key and have no power to anything and of course won't turn the starter.What's weird is if I disconnect the battery for a second and try again she lights up the dash turns and starts.I know something isn't completing the circuit because when it's cold it isn't kicking the coldstart injector in either.the injector tested 2ohms so it's out of spec and I have one on order.I was also wondering if someone knows where the timing switch is for the injector. and has anyone had these electrical problems solved by replacing the switch that's by the tumbler in the column?I don't seem to have any blown fuses.
Have you had the battery tested?

Test for voltage at the main fuse box under the hood....right after the fusible link. Test both when you're having the problem and when not.

BTW, if it will start at all when it's cold, I wouldn't blame the cold start injection system. So, I'd suggest saving that part to possibly return when it comes in because it may not be the problem. Low or no voltage to the entire system will give you out of spec readings anywhere.

Last edited by thook; 02-23-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1greenbean
would i see smoke(when i gave it gas) if my h/g was was bad? and would i loose some radiator fluid?? with regards to the cold....i live in california it rarely gets too cold. would a coolant temp sensor cause this problem
thanks
juan
Yes, yes, and yes. Although, sometimes a bad coolant sensor will cause it to run poorly when warm. You just need to test it. Fortunately, it's easy enough to access.

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3

It's kind of hard to read the inspection procedure from this quote, but here's the FSM page on it.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...40engineco.pdf

You can test when cold and also warm. It should reflect higher resistance and voltage when warm.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM

battery is new.I'm only replacing the cold injector because it is out of acceptable range on resistance specs.I haven't had time to ground test the terminal on the cold switch yet. I saw your response to the thread from FLATBED about the coldstart and put it on my to do list.Just haven't had a chance yet ,thanks everyone for the great diagrams .I will post results after I do some testing.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by tnactsuj
battery is new.I'm only replacing the cold injector because it is out of acceptable range on resistance specs.I haven't had time to ground test the terminal on the cold switch yet. I saw your response to the thread from FLATBED about the coldstart and put it on my to do list.Just haven't had a chance yet ,thanks everyone for the great diagrams .I will post results after I do some testing.
Right. Sorry, not sure what I was thinking. Ohms have nothing to do with voltage.

Good luck.