YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via MSN to ontario4runner
Question cold start sensor

ok.. so my cold start sensor is soo rotted out the connector fell off.. the connector is in good shape still though thankfully

anyways i spent all day driving around(with my now even crappier running truck) annd no one has even heard of this.. would it be best to just get the sensor from toyota? and has anyone ever bought one from them, or know price wise how much they run for?

i need to get it done soon as its cold up here in the great white north and my truck is sooooo hard to start without it.. also making it run like crap(high idle)

so any help would be great
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Negative 25 MPG
289,000km
Idles at 1700rpm, thats 1 Rev per heep devoured:)
ontario4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

jason freudigmann
Send a message via ICQ to jason191918 Send a message via AIM to jason191918 Send a message via MSN to jason191918 Send a message via Yahoo to jason191918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario4runner View Post
so out of curiosity.. ill be picking up my cold start sensor monday and putting it in.. any words of advice for getting old one out and new one in? its a pretty tight space! haha
What happened to that one?

1992 Pickup V6, 4x4, 5 speed, SR5, 300,000 miles young, every option except automatic tranny

31x10.5R15 | K&N FIPK | Cherry Bomb | 3" BL | 4 110W KC Light Bar | 6'6" Western Plow | 800W 10" Sony | 850W Sound Storm | 2 4" Obcon | 4 1" Rockford Fosgate Tweeters | 2 High Pass Crossovers | 2 High-Low Pass Crossovers | 2 6.5" Rockford Fosgate | Pioneer 4x50W Head Unit | Mechanical Oil Pressure Gage | Lack of EGR | Blinker Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvota View Post

Jason is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon1213 View Post
Jason rocks!!! :banger:
jason191918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
Just buy a new sensor from Toyota. The plastic they used in the building of them gets hard and crumbles. Typically it can be had for under $100. If you can still see the part number on the side of the sensor, go to www.toyotapartsales.com and input the number to get an idea of what they run brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

Send a message via MSN to ontario4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason191918 View Post
What happened to that one?

welll.. i had called the autoparts store i was going to get it from.. as i have an account with them.. and they said they had it.. turns out when i went to get it they thought i was stupid and meant coolant temp sensor and they argued with me saying there is no such thing as a cold start sensor in my 4runner.. i soon shut them up with my handy dandy toyota service manual needless to say.. every parts store i go to says the same thing.. there is no such thing.. even reading threw there lists myself for even alternate naming...
Negative 25 MPG
289,000km
Idles at 1700rpm, thats 1 Rev per heep devoured:)
ontario4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #5

Cold Start Injector vs. Injector Timer

The actual temperature sensing of your motor is done by the Injector Timer that sends a signal to the the Cold Start Injector, once up to operating temperature there should be no use of the Cold Start Injector when starting. I had the same issue, cleaned the injector and it worked for a time, but then same cold starting issues would return. I know you're not going to want to hear this but what fixed it for me was a new fuel pump, apparently there's a check valve in the pump, and when your truck sits idle the fuel drains back to the tank, therefore when you start your truck it's like you have to crank it until the fuel comes all the way from the tank. Replaced the fuel pump, not a problem, even after the truck sits for a month (...in Minnesota). Good luck.
BrownsfaninMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsfaninMN View Post
The actual temperature sensing of your motor is done by the Injector Timer that sends a signal to the the Cold Start Injector, once up to operating temperature there should be no use of the Cold Start Injector when starting. I had the same issue, cleaned the injector and it worked for a time, but then same cold starting issues would return. I know you're not going to want to hear this but what fixed it for me was a new fuel pump, apparently there's a check valve in the pump, and when your truck sits idle the fuel drains back to the tank, therefore when you start your truck it's like you have to crank it until the fuel comes all the way from the tank. Replaced the fuel pump, not a problem, even after the truck sits for a month (...in Minnesota). Good luck.
I got one doing exactly this...was not doing it before in another truck so I am thinking the fuel pump.

So which is cheaper to try...the CSI or timer or a fuel pump?

waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to a4runnerfreak
I had to replace the CSI in my old '91 3.0 truck and IIRC it cost me something like $178 from the stealersip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
Now if he has broken the law, then he should spanked on his flabby pink bottom in public by oompa loompas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_face View Post
tony! where have you been all my life?

------------------------------------------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4, 3.0 V6, Auto <---R.I.P

NEW!!!
1994 4Runner SR5 V6, 3.0 V6 Auto, Sony XPLOD CDX-GT540 UI, 31x10.5's, *4.88's*
a4runnerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 86, 95, cold, cost, injector, number, part, prices, runner, sensor, start, starting, tacoma, toyota