86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold Start Injector Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start Injector Troubleshooting

I have an '86 Toyota Sunrader motorhome with 22RE/auto.

It doesn't like starting cold very much. I will fire immediately, then crank....and crank....etc.

I get it started by just cranking for a moment. I repeat this 5-10 times till there is enough heat build up so that it catches and immediately settles into a low idle. When it is warm, it starts fine.

I am quite certain that the CSI is not doing it's job. I have checked the CSI timing switch. It measures about 50 ohms cold, raises a few ohms with it sitting in a cup of hot water. My haynes manual says it should measure lower when cold.

I have tried shorting across the timing switch connector, thinking this would trick it into a cold start condition, but the CSI does not fire.

Could someone give me a better explanation of exactly how this circuit works? I'd rather not sink a lot of money into the shotgun method of troubleshooting. Can I run 12VDC straight to the injector to test it? If so, is polarlty important? Is there a decent schematic of this circuit somewhere on this board?

TIA

Pete
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the schematic elsewhere in this forum.

This morning I had what may be a similar problem. Little history first; my truck had sit for 8 years so the whole fuel system was plugged with gunk/rust, tank, fuel pump, pickup, return lines, injectors, filter etc. Last weekend I finally got all the injectors firing, parked it, refired it and it had a miss again which I figured, based on past experience with this truck, was a plugged injector. Before yanking the injectors (again) I jumpered the fuel pump on and let it run for a half hour, hoping to let the filter grab more gunk from the tank while the fuel flushed out the injector rails.

This morning I put it back together and it wouldn't start. It'd fire if I squirted carb cleaner into the intake, but wouldn't catch. It never had this problem before. I backed off the bolt to the cold start injector and no fuel came out. Before I always had fuel come out for quite a while after I shut it off since the rails are pressurized. This led me to believe I wasn't getting good fuel flow/pressure. I checked the filter - okay. The flow coming out of the regulator seemed good. I pinched off the return hose out of the regulator, which in effect bumped up the pressure in the rails but it still wouldn't start. Then I pulled off the CSI line, turned on the pump, and let it run into a catch pan for a few seconds. I put it back together and it started.

What I think happened is when I let the pump flush fuel through the system for 30m, a chunk of gunk got into the CSI supply line. When I pulled the line off it flushed the obstruction out.

Long story short, try pulling the supply line off the CSI and verify that you're getting good fuel flow.