86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cold blooded

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold blooded

Hello guys just a couple quick questions. My first problem started bout a year ago when I bought a Toyota pickup. Since then it's been taking up all my time. It's all I think about. I'm like a teenage boy again. I check out every Toyota I pass on the road, I want to look under every hood, I look em up on the Internet, I can't stop starring or thinking about what I can do differently or more upgrades to mine. I get cold sweets but then really exited. I almost start to blush and stumble over my words when somebody asks me a question about my Toyota. What can I say I fell head over heels and I'm never looking back. Know that I got that of my chest my next problem is July in Nebraska. It is hotter than hell and I have no ac. I bought the ac recharge kit ran it through like the instructions stated and I had ac for prob a minute then back to warm air and no pressure on the dial. I've done it twice and still the same results. So to me I'm sure I got a leak somewhere but how does one go about finding and fixing these leeks? My next issue is the cold blooded issue on my 3vzr. When I start her up in the morning at 615 if I don't sit and let it warm up it will spit and sputter for a couple miles then drive just fine. I mean it's so bad that when you shift into 2nd gear it will want to die. So are these engines just that finicky or do I need to do some adjusting? Sorry for the rambling I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee any advice will be appreciated
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
State your problem well and focus on one problem at a time.
What truck? Model year?
Engine?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-29-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM

95 sr5 extended cab 3" body lift with 33 mickey thompsons 3.0 v6 3vzr. The ac won't take a charge.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wallydrifter
95 sr5 extended cab 3" body lift with 33 mickey thompsons 3.0 v6 3vzr.
...It's all I think about. I'm like a teenage boy again....
Welcome to Yotatech. That's understandable; I enjoy driving and working on my 28-year-old 4Runner than I did my XTerra.

It is hotter than hell and I have no ac. I bought the ac recharge kit ran it......I've done it twice and still the same results... ...So to me I'm sure I got a leak somewhere
Are you getting any indication that AC is running? Compressor comes on?
Engine strains a little when AC is on?
AC light comes on?
Idle rises a little when you turn AC on?
Did you verify that you used the proper refrigerant for your system? R-12 or R-134?
Did you check refrigerant pressures while you're at it?
The fact that you did it twice and it did not fix your problem suggests that was not the fix to your problem. Something else is broken.

...and I had ac for prob minute
Did you notice anything different between that minute you have AC and after??
Compressor dis-engaged so engine sounded different?
AC light on or off?
Sounds like AC worked, but something else stopped working really quickly. Leak would not cause AC to stop working instantly. Maybe you do not have a leak and the problem is somewhere else. Possibly the clutch that engages the compressor disengaging? Some circuit breaker tripping?

but how does one go about finding and fixing these leeks?
IF you really think you have a leak, inspect all AC plumbing and components. Where refrigerant leaks there should be some oily deposits (from compressor oil).

I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee any advice will be appreciated
No wonder... That would make you feel hotter

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-29-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM

This is the ac recharge I used. When pressing the ac button the light comes on and so does the fan that cools the radiator. (It don't have a fan that attaches to the motor its attached to the radiator and clicks on when reaches a certain temp.) The motor does idle up some maybe a rpm or two. The pressure gauge on the ac bottle was the only one I used. I connected it to the low pressure side and read 0 then filled to the appropriate reading all awhile the truck running and ac on high. Was full disconnected the ac refill sat in truck and felt some cold air but didn't last long. I reconnect the ac refill and the gage read 0.
cold blooded-forumrunner_20140629_204229.png

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140629_204229.png
Views:	136
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	98739
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I recently had my ac system repaired. I went to a shop, paid them a couple hundred bucks to do a vacuum (which is important for a long time dormant AC system!) and upon recharge also inject some dye and add eater (oil). The deal was, I was pretty sure there is a leak so he was gonna fill me up a 2nd time for free. Didn't find the leak the first time, 1st day everything ran well, 2nd day no cold air. Got a re-fill by the shop and kept closer eye on the system, eventually i found the leak to tbe the discharge hose from the compressor. Replaced it, it's been a couple months or more now and it is all good.

In short, you need to find the leak, you can either get a shop to put in the dye or you can do it yourself. But you need to recharege the system meanwhile and constantly keep an eye on all of the hoses and joints until you find the leak. Replace/repair the part that is leaking... You already said once you refilled you got cold air, so the system is working.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been swamped at work. So ready for this 3 day weekend.

Checked out the pump and the clutch does not engage. Pulled the wire and getting 7 volts.

So I plugged the pump back in and shut the hood grabbed a beer and sat on the front porch and watched the sun go down.

I guess I'll start the hellish task of chasing wires and looking for fuses this weekend