Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Which Cold Air Intake Should I Buy

Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Cold Air Intake Should I Buy

I was thinking about buying a cold air intake for my 22 r-e and i was wondering which one u guys recomend....
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would recommend Downey or K&N. if you take care of the filter, it will perform great. if you dont look after the filter, you will become a hater of cold air intakes because it wont perform good.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 AM

There will probably be a few people that say don't even bother buying an aftermarket intake kit. They may tell you to just buy a better filter to replace the stock element.

That's fine.

I went with a K&N kit for my 22RE about ten or so years ago and I've never had a problem. I can feel a difference in performance, even if it is a small one.

I even purchased a kit for my 3.4 litre and I think it's bad ass. I also went against suggestions from "friends" who said the K&N's are worthless.

If that was so true, why has K&N been around for 25+ years...if they were really that bad of a mod, you would think they would be out of business by now.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a K&N on my '91 V6 about 6 years ago. I was immediately happy with the results and still am. As a matter of fact, I just pulled it off yesterday to clean the filter. That's the key....keep your filter nice and clean and you'll feel/hear the difference.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowtruck
I put a K&N on my '91 V6 about 6 years ago. I was immediately happy with the results and still am. As a matter of fact, I just pulled it off yesterday to clean the filter. That's the key....keep your filter nice and clean and you'll feel/hear the difference.

Whoaa...sweet looking rig you have there.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I just ordered a kit off ebay that comes with the MAF adapter and all. I mainly wanted it for the intake tube itself instead of using PVC piping or something. I'm gunna throw a K&N on the end, and keep the cheapo rice-burner filter in the tool box as a spare.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
Whoaa...sweet looking rig you have there.
Comment much appreciated! She's got lots and lots of $$ in her. More so than my wife! If only my truck had boobs!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowtruck
Comment much appreciated! She's got lots and lots of $$ in her. More so than my wife! If only my truck had boobs!
LOL. Do you have a build thread here? If not you should start one in the "check out my truck" section. Comment well deserved!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I just ordered a kit off ebay that comes with the MAF adapter and all. I mainly wanted it for the intake tube itself instead of using PVC piping or something. I'm gunna throw a K&N on the end, and keep the cheapo rice-burner filter in the tool box as a spare.
Don't use the cheapo. Just get rid of it. Why treat your engine to a no name semi-filter. Cleaning, drying and re oiling your KN doesn't take that long.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 AM

I thought cold air intakes were for Hondas?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 AM

How often should the K&N filter be cleaned ?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 AM

what about an intake for the 3.0
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyvana
If that was so true, why has K&N been around for 25+ years...if they were really that bad of a mod, you would think they would be out of business by now.
K&N may very well be a reputable company but look at fram. they've been around for quite a while and if it were about quality, they would have gone belly-up long ago.

just goes to show - marketing trumps build quality.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SizzleChest

just goes to show - marketing trumps build quality.
Thats a great quote....and pretty much true...

What K&N doesnt tell you is that the increased air flow = increased dirt flow (especially with a filter like K&N that is substandard micron wise to a Toyota paper filter)

I consider these to be engine-killers....is the increase in butt-o-meter dyno performance (which is negligible from what I have seen) worth more than the decrease in engine life?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by yoterdrvr
I was thinking about buying a cold air intake for my 22 r-e and i was wondering which one u guys recomend....
If you can actually find one, get one that really provides fresh "cold" air. All the ones I've seen just draw hot air from the engine compartment.

If not most of the gains would be received from a K&N replacement fIlter.

Right now I an working on making a fresh air intake for my truck, (making stuff is just my way)

I'll post once I get it together, That's about $150 in materials away right now though.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless your going to be placing your air filter in a different location that stock, I'd do a search for the "deckplate" mod.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM

My personal thoughts on this topic are that the stock location for where
the filter draws its air is the best place. It is high enough to avoid hydrolock
in most situations, while still providing the engine with cold air.
What I would do in your situation is buy a cheapo ebay 'cold air' intake.
Install the tubiung they give you. Throw away the cone filter, get a K&N
drop in element for your stock air box and just reuse the stock box.

That way, you get rid of the intake silencers but still retain the effectiveness
of the good parts of the stock system.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFish
Don't use the cheapo. Just get rid of it. Why treat your engine to a no name semi-filter. Cleaning, drying and re oiling your KN doesn't take that long.
The only reason I'll keep the cheapo filter as a spare is because I really don't feel like driving out of a trail with no air filter at all because I drenched the K&N in muddy H2O. I understand where your coming from, but the cheapo filter wont be a permanent replacement for the K&N, just a temporary replacement when the K&N gets too bad to use on the trail until I get cleaned and ready to go back on. Sure it doesn't take that long to clean and throw it back in, but on the trail, I'd rather just put in another filter and go, then clean the K&N later when I get home.

The other thing I like about using the type of intake setup that does away with the stock box by using the AFM adapter is that when I go to make my own snorkel later on, it'll make things a lot easier!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:29 PM

I agree with nix4x4 "cold air intakes" are taking air from the engine compartment while the stock location is behind the headlight taking in true fresh air. ISR mod will help for sure but the stock location is about as "cold" and fresh as it gets without gettin a snorkel which is what i am thinkin of doin.