Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cold Air Intake for 22re

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake for 22re

Ok. I just got done installing my custom cold air intake for my 87 runner. I thought I would do I write up for those other cheap mods ppl like myself. I tried searching for a K&N cold air kit and couldn't find one for an 87, but I did find one for an 88. So I thought I could just modify that one to fit mine. If you go to K&N's website, it has most of the instructions listed w/ pics, but I will describe what needs to be customized. *REMEMBER* to search as 88 4runner even though I believe this mod should work for all yota's w/ 22res.

1. Visit K&N http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-9008

2. You will need to order/purchase all of the parts included in the kit. This includes the filter, mass air adapter plate, and misc. hardware.

3. Go to your local Home depot and buy this part: Master Flow Round Duct Cap 6 In.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90298+502596

4. Go to your local autozone or auto parts store and order this K&n filter: RF-1009 - Replacement Filter
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RF-1009

5. Go to local hardware store and pick up tube of caulk(if you have a caulk gun), otherwise use some sealant that comes in a squeezable tube form. *Optional* can of cheap black spray paint.

6. Now to the installation: Start by unclipping your airbox top. Remove your air filter. Using a 10mm socket, remove the four mounting nuts that connect the mass air flow sensor to the top of the air box. Remove the four washers as well. Now remove the 10mm bolt located in front of the mass air sensor. (Its about 4 inches to the left and 5 inches down from where you removed the nuts.) Now the top of the air box should slide out free. Here's a pic.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8e&id=13720757
Also remove the lower air box using 10mm since you wont need it anymore.

7. Now its time to measure the opening you will need to cut in your new aluminum "adapter". I measured 2" by 2" square centered in the middle of the cap. This proved to be just about right. *REMEMBER* Always cut less... If need be, you can cut more later. I measured the 4 holes for the mass air sensor bolts the same way. I used a pair of tin snips for the big square i needed to cut and a punch and screwdriver for the 4 mounting bolt holes. *Again* DONT make the holes bigger than they need to be. Here's a pic of what it should look like:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6d&id=13720757

8. After you're done cutting up your "adapter", make sure it fits properly and trim if necessary. The next step requires you to remove the rubber gasket from the old air box top and place it onto your "adapter" *WARNING* be careful not to lose the 4 washers sitting inside of the gasket.

9. Once you have the gasket lined up on your adapter, take your caulk and make a bead all around gasket so that no air can get between the outside edge of the gasket and the adapter. Here are some pics of steps 8 & 9. Also, look at the instruction sheet from K&N's website it gives a good pic of the gasket.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...11&id=13720757
http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-9008.pdf

10. Once the caulk dries, you can either put the adapter on or paint it like I did. (See pic) Once the adapter is on and snug tight. Take the filter and supplied clamp and install it with screwdriver.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f2&id=13720757

11. Now that your cold air intake is done, You need to mount it to the body. Using the same hole near the front of the mass air sensor (where you removed a 10mm bolt) and the hole diagonally below it on the body, Mount the assembly with a bent piece of steel. I used a strap piece I found around my garage and bent it at a 90 degree on one end and a 60 or so on the other. I reused one of mounting bolts from the lower air box and found a random bold and nut for the upper mount.

12. Congrats.... You just gained 5.3 hp and it should have cost you at most $65. Thats less than half of $135, which is the best price I saw the K&N kit for.

***NOTE FOR 88 and newer ppl*** I noticed your vehicles have a vent tube going into your air box. To do this install, you will need to cut an extra hole into the adapter for the vent tube. K&N explains it in detail in their instructions online.
http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-9008.pdf
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lets see some pictures.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM

I dont know how to post them into the thread but u should be able to see them via the links. Click on the ones with facebook.com in the url.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheres the finished product?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am COMPLETELY failing to understand why you had to modify the 88 4runner intake set up in the slightest. All 22re engines are the same, EXCEPT cali-spec'd trucks. So, unless either the kit was for a Cali truck, or your truck is, they should have bolted in the same. Good work on making your own, but there isn't any difference in the year of the truck.

Also, I seriously doubt you got 5.3 horsepower, but if you did, awesome job. It should be completely unnoticeable on a 100hp engine. In fact, I know its not. The downey set up is identical to what you have done there. I have that, plus ceramic coated, hi flow headers, and a 2.25" exhaust. Worst modification I've ever done. Not only did i see ZERO gain in power, but it made the truck obnoxious as all hell.

Anyway, good write up, and clever job. Certainly not trying to knock you, as you saved yourself, and others who want this modificiation, a bunch of money.

Just warning those that see this that this modification is for "cool factor", and actually does absolutely nothing with regards to the performance of the truck.

Last edited by AxleIke; 04-09-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 AM

needs some pics, i got the downey intake and i feel that every lit bit helps these 22re's out-

upload to photobucket to post pics
Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The downey set up is identical to what you have done there. I have that, plus ceramic coated, hi flow headers, and a 2.25" exhaust. Worst modification I've ever done. Not only did i see ZERO gain in power, but it made the truck obnoxious as all hell.
really? thats surprising...The downey air set up offered no gain or the exhaust set up? or both? I noticed a slight gain from my downey header and exhaust
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM

Name:  DSC00332.jpg
Views: 7931
Size:  52.9 KB
Name:  DSC00331.jpg
Views: 6302
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  DSC00330.jpg
Views: 9426
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM

I don't see the point to this. Why not just run a K&N filter in your air box? the air box is ducted out side and this "Cold air intake" is sucking from the hot engine bay. To each his own.....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
really? thats surprising...The downey air set up offered no gain or the exhaust set up? or both? I noticed a slight gain from my downey header and exhaust
Both= NO gain.

How is that even remotely surprising? This is a 100 horse motor. 5 hp gain isn't going to be noticeable in the least. The air intake does next to nothing, since you are still pulling through the stock MAF or AFM, whichever you personally call it. For the high flow filters to work, you have to upgrade to the supra MAF/AFM. Even then, you might see SOME small increase. I doubt it though. The exhaust also did nothing. Its not like this motor puts out enough exhaust for back pressure to be a significant issue.

If you want power, a new cam and valve train is what you need. More than that, buy a turbo kit. Bolt on stuff doesn't really do anything. Its all placebo effect.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

I know you think it doesn't do anything but how did K&N prove that a stock 22re gained 5.1 hp? If you dont believe me, read it on the dyno sheet from K&N's website. See: http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-9008.pdf

Here's something about exactly how little 5 hp in on a 100hp engine. Think of it this way, ppl go and spend money on their chevy 350's that have 300hp stock to gain 10hp or so. 5hp on a 100hp engine is 5% gain! The chevy wont even gain 3.5%. I know no matter what is almost retarded to spend lots of money on these 4cyl engines, but here's 3 good reasons why ppl should buy a K&N:

1. Better MPG (seen the gas prices lately)
2. More power (you might notice it, but probably not.)
3. It will outlast your engine. (Completely reusable)

Think about #3. I think anyone that doesnt buy a K&N filter for their vehicle that they plan on keeping is an idiot. After you buy 3 or 4 fram paper filters, you've spent as much as a K&N. And all that time you could have had #1 and #2 going for you. And if you are going to spend the money on a filter, why not pay an extra $5!!!! for the adapter from home depot. It seems like a no brainer to me.

The last thing I wanted to comment on was axle's "intakes are the same for all 22re's." That's not correct. I have owned an 86', 87' (currently), 88', 89', and 94'. The 86' and 87' DO NOT have a tube coming from the passenger side of the engine over the fan shroud and into the upper air box cover. 88' and on DO have this tube.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Name:  DSC00319.jpg
Views: 6499
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  DSC00318.jpg
Views: 6388
Size:  62.5 KB
Name:  DSC00321.jpg
Views: 7070
Size:  46.0 KB
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took a K&N off my 4runner. It looked like it would suck in water really easily. I did not notice any difference in performance stock vs. K&N. That 5 horsepower gain is at 4500- 5000 rpm. My truck never sees those revs. I don't think I have even been to 5000rpm.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

the only way your filter is going to suck water is if ur whole engine compartment is underwater. If that's the case, you probably should have a snorkel.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by orbital02
I know you think it doesn't do anything but how did K&N prove that a stock 22re gained 5.1 hp? If you dont believe me, read it on the dyno sheet from K&N's website. See: http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-9008.pdf

Here's something about exactly how little 5 hp in on a 100hp engine. Think of it this way, ppl go and spend money on their chevy 350's that have 300hp stock to gain 10hp or so. 5hp on a 100hp engine is 5% gain! The chevy wont even gain 3.5%. I know no matter what is almost retarded to spend lots of money on these 4cyl engines, but here's 3 good reasons why ppl should buy a K&N:

1. Better MPG (seen the gas prices lately)
2. More power (you might notice it, but probably not.)
3. It will outlast your engine. (Completely reusable)

Think about #3. I think anyone that doesnt buy a K&N filter for their vehicle that they plan on keeping is an idiot. After you buy 3 or 4 fram paper filters, you've spent as much as a K&N. And all that time you could have had #1 and #2 going for you. And if you are going to spend the money on a filter, why not pay an extra $5!!!! for the adapter from home depot. It seems like a no brainer to me.

The last thing I wanted to comment on was axle's "intakes are the same for all 22re's." That's not correct. I have owned an 86', 87' (currently), 88', 89', and 94'. The 86' and 87' DO NOT have a tube coming from the passenger side of the engine over the fan shroud and into the upper air box cover. 88' and on DO have this tube.
Eh, my 87 DID have that tube. I removed it because I don't have to smog. As I said, Cali trucks are different.

Its all well and fine that K&N has a dyno chart.

I'm telling you from 3 years of real world experience that the filter does NOTHING. No power increase, no mpg increase, nada.

The part about reusing them is a very good point, one which would make the mod worthwhile.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM

So in ur opinion, I happened to buy all Cali trucks even though I live in Indiana? I didn't realize that tube was only for Cali trucks, and I also didn't realize there were so many Cali trucks rolling around Indiana. Thanks for being honest about your experiences, I just wanted to give my new 22re everything it deserves so it will go 300k. I did this write-up for ppl who wanted to do this mod. It might be stupid and a waste of some ppl's time, but I thought it to be worthwhile for both my time and budget.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not trying to discourage it. I think your right up is great, and this is a FAR better way to do a high flow set up than ANY kit. MUCH better. I'm just talking about high flow in general, NOT your way of doing it.

Cheers man, and Happy Trails!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Both= NO gain.

How is that even remotely surprising? This is a 100 horse motor. 5 hp gain isn't going to be noticeable in the least. The air intake does next to nothing, since you are still pulling through the stock MAF or AFM, whichever you personally call it. For the high flow filters to work, you have to upgrade to the supra MAF/AFM. Even then, you might see SOME small increase. I doubt it though. The exhaust also did nothing. Its not like this motor puts out enough exhaust for back pressure to be a significant issue.

If you want power, a new cam and valve train is what you need. More than that, buy a turbo kit. Bolt on stuff doesn't really do anything. Its all placebo effect.
Aye, You're right, Ike...I keep forgetting I have a low end cam and hopped up motor...thats probably why I noticed the difference (it was small but noticeable)