Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Code 11 and more

Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code 11 and more

Allrighty,

So here lately my truck has been throwing the knock sensor code, well I finally got some time to look into it and low and behold the sensor it self was just loose. So after tightening the sensor and doing a oil change it hasn't run any better! I decided to un hook the battery and let the codes clear out and check it again after driving it a while. Well when I jumped the two connections on the check port, I'm getting a code 11 which from reading on 4Crawlers website could be the TPS, A/C switch, or a bad ECU. But that's not it. When I jump the connector with the engine running there is no change in the idle speed of the motor. The next day driving to class and work I noticed that my check engine light was coming on intermittently. It seems like it only comes on when I hold a steady RPM, if im constantly changing the RPM it goes off and stays off. When I got home this evening I checked to see what codes it was throwing now. Im getting a codes 2,5,8,and 11..... So where do I need to begin? Are these problems all related? I've attempted to check the TPS before and don't think I did it quite right, the whole process seems a little intimidating with it being so finicky. I really need to get this problem figured out and everything working properly again, because I need to replace the distributor shaft o-ring due to its leakiness and need to be able to properly time the engine back after pulling the distributor. Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help or advice!!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Im assuming it's the 86 4runner? Non-turbo?

On your intake manifold is a grounding point with many brown wires. Check them all, if any show signs of fraying or discoloration INSIDE THE CRIMPED CONNECTION, replace the connector. Re-attach and try the truck. About 80% of your ecu circuits ground here. Do this before you replace any components.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 AM

To check the TPS, use the multimeter and twist it open/closed, you should see a resistance come up/down, as you turn it will get more/less, what you want to see is a constant increase/decrease... If you get a spike in between, its time to change it.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shady Cadence
Im assuming it's the 86 4runner? Non-turbo?

On your intake manifold is a grounding point with many brown wires. Check them all, if any show signs of fraying or discoloration INSIDE THE CRIMPED CONNECTION, replace the connector. Re-attach and try the truck. About 80% of your ecu circuits ground here. Do this before you replace any components.
Yes it's a 86 non turbo. Thanks for the input, ill check this out tomorrow after work. I just found it weird that the light was coming on only when I held a certain RPM for any length of time. Thanks again for the input, ill check it and report back tomorrow evening.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 PM

You can also try starting the truck and wiggling those wires one at a time. If the truck reacts to this IN ANY WAY, replace the connector on that wire.