Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CNG Conversion

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNG Conversion

I've been out on the EWS website and am considering doing a CNG dual fuel conversion on my 1992 3.0L V6 Hilux 4X4. Has anyone done this already? What are the pitfalls? There are CNG filling stations near my home. I've already checked on the legal issues. Yes, there are state tax credits I can claim as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i don't know of anyone in the off-road group that has done this. plenty of lpg conversions, though. i've looked into doing a petrol/propane dual-fuel setup, so i have information if you'd like to go that route.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM

pros - Green fuel

cons - temperature sensitive fill rate. Doesn't matter if it's a cascade fill or other, temperature dictates load. Cylinder sizing for your vehicle..definately affects the range. Lower power, less mileage. Difficult to work on the system unless you have a very understanding of pressure fittings and hosing, etc.

With all that said, CNG vehicles are on the road today and working very well. It comes down to choice and fuel type availability. If I was to do a conversion I would go with propane. The pros outweigh the cons.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
i don't know of anyone in the off-road group that has done this. plenty of lpg conversions, though. i've looked into doing a petrol/propane dual-fuel setup, so i have information if you'd like to go that route.
Thanks any information would be welcome. I'm particularly interested if anyone has tried out the EWS Millennium dual fuel system.

http://www.ewsews.com/cnghome.html
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
Thanks any information would be welcome. I'm particularly interested if anyone has tried out the EWS Millennium dual fuel system.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sensei
pros - Green fuel

cons - temperature sensitive fill rate. Doesn't matter if it's a cascade fill or other, temperature dictates load. Cylinder sizing for your vehicle..definately affects the range. Lower power, less mileage. Difficult to work on the system unless you have a very understanding of pressure fittings and hosing, etc.

With all that said, CNG vehicles are on the road today and working very well. It comes down to choice and fuel type availability. If I was to do a conversion I would go with propane. The pros outweigh the cons.
How much of a power loss CNG vs. Propane with the v-6 engine? Are there any web sites that compare the two?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by My'lil'truck

4 cylinders LPG sequential injection stag4 kit | eBay
project dual-fuel is a go - YotaTech Forums
http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Anyone ever seen one of these before? - Page 2 - YotaTech Forums
http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...re-ENG./Detail
injection kit conversion lpg auto gas
one of the guys sent me this diagram of how it's all set up. pretty straight-forward

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool diagram. I also have CNG stations nearby and am wanting to CNG my new 3.4 swap. I think I can get by with a 12GGE tank that should be able to get ~200 miles depending on how much pressure I can fill to. Looks like EWS is the way to go. They definitely have the most info on the web. OP where are you from?