86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch start switch/clutch cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch start switch/clutch cylinders

Ok, here we go. I'm getting the little things touched up here before I go and license the "Nightmare" and one of those is the clutch start switch on the firewall. As of now, I have to use the handy 'clutch start cancel' button to get the motor fired up because with the pedal fully depressed to the floor, the rubber stop that is supposed to push in the switch wont reach. I've backed the nuts off the switch as far as I can to set the switch more forward in the bracket and it still doesn't help. Has anyone else had an issue with this? I thought maybe replacing the stopper with a small bolt that would reach, but not sure. Suggesstions?

Now onto the master and slave cylinders. With clutch all the way to the floor, I get into gear no problem. What I don't like is that I barely let any pressure off and the truck starts moving. I've bled the brakes and clutch already. Now I'm wondering if either cylinder is bad or both. I checked the pushrod under the dash and it looked a little greasy. I don't get alot of pressure on the pedal until it's down to the floor, which is why I'm thinking that at least the master cylinder may be bad. Just need to know if my thought process is going the right direction here.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 AM

I'm new to this forum and no mechanic, but I just bought a 92 22re with 165,000 miles on it. I test drove it and it seemed fine. I drove it 140 miles back home and when i got there the master and slave cylinders went. I'm having it fixed right now. I did experience the same where hardly letting the clutch out and the truck moves though. Then when I was home I drove two blocks and when i engaged the clutch the truck jumped and stalled. after that it wouldnt go in gear and I had to have it towed.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM

Sounds like your clutch/brake pedal bracket is cracked. I may be wrong but I have been reading a lot of threads on here about that bracket breaking and causing all sorts of weird clutch/brake problems. Peek under the dash and push the clutch with your hand.