Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch / shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch / shifting problems

89 Toyota V6, 5 speed, regular cab.

When I got into the truck to drive to work, I noticed it was hard to get the truck in gear and difficult to shift during the drive.

By the time I arrived at work, the clutch pedal had zero resistance to movement and would stay stuck to the floor.

We looked at it at work, and a few of the guys thought it might be the slave cylinder. We went to autozone and purchased a slave cylinder, installed and bled the system. No change. One of the guys thought that it might be a throwout bearing or the clutch.

Purchased a throwout bearing from autozone and went about installing it. When everything was apart, the throwout bearing and the clutch looked fine. We reassembled the tranny.

After reading the FSM, it seems that the likely culprit could be clutch pedal adjustment, master cylinder or slave cylinder cleaning / replacement, or a failed hydraulic line.

Doing some searching on here, it sounds like it could also be a broken bracket, as suggested in the links below.

My question is, could a clutch pedal that has zero resistance be due to the bracket?

I am at work today and I don't get off of shift until 7 a.m tomorrow. I am thinking of going to autozone to purchase a master cylinder so that I have it on hand in case that is the problem. I am going to start at the clutch pedal and try a trouble shoot my way to the tranny.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...h-what-197912/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...master-130889/
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Check pedal bracket before you just start buying parts. If the bracket is busted or cracked you can experience your symptoms.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Look under your dash as well, you can clearly see if the slave is leaking out the back. Mine was leaking all over the floor and ate the paint like crazy, lol. That's a free check, too.

Welcome to Yotatech, btw! lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Look under your dash as well, you can clearly see if the master cylinder is leaking out the back. Mine was leaking all over the floor and ate the paint like crazy, lol. That's a free check, too.

Welcome to Yotatech, btw! lol.
Fixed that for ya.

Agreed with the wabbit, check that clutch pedal bracket.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all of the input. With any luck, it will be the bracket and I can fix it with the welder, and prove to my wife that, I did in fact, need to buy that welder!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
Fixed that for ya.

Agreed with the wabbit, check that clutch pedal bracket.
HAHAHA, yep, thanks... "TOYO-INFO-OVERLOAD-O" lately, lol. Still, ...does it check out, the clutch master? No leaking? Mine took a dump like that and VOILA, NO GO GO! lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I knew what you meant, and I'm sure most people would too. But there's always the chance that a complete n00blet would come and be very confused. LOL.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Could a clutch pedal that has zero resistance be due to the bracket?
most likely not. broken pedal bracket would result in just grinding gears particularly 1st gear when trying to put it into gear. Unless it was completely busted, but you would have play in every which direction in the pedal not just up and down.

Clutch master or slave would be my guess.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Well, here is an update.

Bracket was intact and previously repaired.

New Master cylinder installed.

Placed a mightyvac on the slave cylinder bleeder and for the life of me I can't get anything to flow through the system. I can't get air or fluid. I did a quick search on possible solutions. I removed the bleeder valve and blew it out, reinstalled, no change.

I am starting to think that I have either a major line failure or I have a plug in the system. Next is cleaning out the slave cylinder and while it is disconnected, blowing out the line.

If that does not work, I will set fire to the truck.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Another update.

I disconnected the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder and master cylinder, and blew about 50 psi threw it. There must have been a clog or something because there was a little resistance and then, pop, and free flowing air. Prior to installing the slave cylinder, I put the might vac to the hydraulic line and was able to bleed the air and get plenty of fluid.

After I put the slave back I put the mighty vac onto the bleeder nipple in hopes of evacuating it. I was unable to get any flow from the bleeder valve, so maybe that is clogged, again.

The good news is that I have some pressure back on the clutch pedal.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Is your slave new, as well? If fluid can't get through a really clogged piston to the bleeder....that would be my guess, that it's the slave. But, if that's new, and if the master is new, as well, ...then I'm not sure why it wouldn't bleed out the bleeder if you cleaned out the line REALLY well. Hmmm.

Still watching, wishin ya well, Jpoe!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Thank you for all of the help and input. The truck is back on the road and I will probably have to play with the pedal adjustment a little bit as it can be a little tempermental when at a dead stop.

Again, thanks for the help. I should be back asking dumb questions shortly when the rest of my parts come in for the other Yota.

Justin
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a similar problem but the clutch works fine (just changed it) however randomly the truck with me really hard to shift into first and second - like I have to put a lot of effort into it
Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Is the shifter loose? When you are in gear, is there play in the shifter from side to side? Does it pop out of gear (1st)? If so, it may be time to change out your shifter seat and bushing.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM

it's never popped out of gear and there is very minimal play in the shifter. I should also mention that it only seems to do this when it's been running a while
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM

How is the gear oil level? Did you change it when you did the clutch?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 AM

yes it was - there was a leak and was adressed at the time of the clutch job
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
When I put my new clutch in I had to re-adjust the pedal rod. Was yours (Bill) dong this before or after the clutch install?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BillandJenn91
I have a similar problem but the clutch works fine (just changed it) however randomly the truck with me really hard to shift into first and second - like I have to put a lot of effort into it
I have trouble with the exact same thing. It can just be super tough occasionally to shift into first after coming to a stop. The weird thing is though if I shift into third before first, it slides right into first with ease. Any of you guys know why?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you use GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil? GL-5 will not let the syncros work properly.

Quick Reply: Clutch / shifting problems